Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose), 690 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Well I started taking a bunch of fish out of my 4 acre pond and have been keeping a log. In the past 2 nice fishing days we've taken out 118 bass and 4 crappie.

Here's the basic stats.

10% less than 10"
10% greater than 14"
80% between 10-14"

1 16.5" fish looked very poor, possibly sick or some problem.

Relative Weights (MARCH) Average = 85% over the entire pop. I don't see any real trends between the lengths and Wr's. The Relative weight average goes for the entire span of lengths. With that being said I do have some 100%+ relative weights but maybe 10% of the population. Now it is early march fishing so wouldn't I expect the bass to loose weight after spawning season?

I will be investigating the crappie population more to see what the numbers are but this lake appears to be full of 10-14 inch bass.

Whats weird is in the past 10 years of fishing this pond I never catch any fish 16" or bigger. Its like they don't exist. The pond is 30 years old and has seen no real management in any of those years except for one. Two years ago we took out 200 fish but still no change in any sizes.

My forage base is probably just fair with all sizes present but just fair in numbers.

Still no 16" fish! Could they be stunted or over 30 years the genetics has just went to nothing?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chad,
It sounds like a typical stunted bass pond. Genetics isn't helping you after 30 years, but I'd cull more LMB and stock mature BG before introducing any more LMB genetics.

I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended) with a pond I'm trying to manage at my mother's place. I can't get out there very often to monitor the results.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Definitely you classic stunted bass pond. Keep culling bass, and add more BG and other forage fish species if you wish.

Last edited by CJBS2003; 04/04/09 11:56 PM. Reason: sometimes I type to fast for my head to keep up
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
With that kind of agressive culling, you will start to see improvements. I'd keep at it to get to the 30-50lbs. per acre of LMB removed.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Well right now im up to about 106 lbs or a little over 25lbs per acre.

Yeah I guess they are stunted also. I just remember when we took out a bunch of fish about 2 years ago. It didn't seem to help really.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Stay the course.

Perhaps the last efforts from two years back didn't remove enough LMB, and perhaps there is a need to concurrently bolster the forage base like what davatsa says about adding mature bluefill.

Also, do you feed your bluegill? This may help their overall health and ability to spawn stronger and longer!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
when i think about it, its hard for me to believe that we really took out 200 fish two years ago. I bet it was more like 100, you know how stories tend to grow.

Anyways, yeah im working on adding structure, forage, fertilization, and feeding this year.

I was just a little concerned at their size. This pond sure does need a lot of attention.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yeah, but it's a labor of love right?

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
oh yeah its fun, just not used to taking out this many bass just to get them in balance again.

I think its gonna work out and doing it as intensive as we're doing hopefully they will start putting on weight a little faster than normal.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Lunker
Lunker
try throwing some tilapia in there to ease the pressure on the BG and allow them to re-establish their numbers and size? And keep culling

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One thought from me:
Dont worry one iota about removing too many largemouth bass. Most people in your situation have a fear of removing too many bass and messing up their fishery! They always end up not taking out enough, and never get anywhere.

After 30 years of being overcrowded, I would hammer those bass until it gets difficult to catch one! Then you could introduce a handful of larger sized bass of good genetics and really start something special!

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Oh im not worried about taking fish out. I laugh everytime one goes in the basket.

Any yeah i have plan setup for this year. 1000 adult CNBG, 40 lbs tilapia, fertilize and feed, and some tiger and florida bass in the fall or early next year.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Just wanted to give an update and thought i'd bring up this post instead of posting a new one.

As of today the total harvest from my 4 acre pond is...

226 bass = 48 lbs per acre!!!
20 crappie

Also i have decided and been advised etc, to not fertilize do to the present coontail/pondweed which is maybe just a little to much to take the risk. thats a downer... However, I put in 14 carp early this spring and decided that instead of spraying I should probably see what the carp can do so I'll have a better understanding on preparing the lake for fertilizing next year.

Anyways, the weather has been crazy for the past few weeks, 40 one night then 80 the next day, not to mention very windy. So I can't really catch a perfect day to fish and see if my harvest so far is making any dent on the population. However I am not going to stop taking out fish by all means!

One thing im pretty nervous about though is the CRAPPIE. I don't know what to think really. I caught five today on a beetle-spin. They are definitly present and I don't have any idea what to expect next year now that I've taken all these bass out. I haven't really just set out fishing for them only. They seem to like that beetle-spin though.

What do you guys think?

I don't know what most people see as far as harvest rates and lbs per acre. I'm pretty confident I can hit 300 bass fish bringing me up to 65 lbs per acre on average. Anyone ever seen numbers like this when trying to correct a pond? This might be just another pond for pond managers but it seems like a big number to me.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What are the size of the crappies you are catching?

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
they are all around 10". largest being a 1.1 lb 12"

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Has the CPU (catch per unit effort = time needed to catch the same # of fish) gone down? If so how much ? If yes then start adding large ( > 4 inches)BG and keep every crappie you catch. The numbers of fish ( 10 lbs , or 50 lbs) per acre depends on the ponds fertility/productivity. If you keep adding BG (up to the right amount) and feed them in conjunction with removing LMB and crappie you can balance the population.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Ewest, I wish I could tell you exactly. The weather has been so crazy here in Texas the last few weeks its hard to tell if its our catch efforts or just the weather.

CPU, actually wouldn't you say it goes Up instead of down if the fishing slows. I would Guess the CPU has gone up by 300%. It now probably would take 3hrs to catch 25 fish vs. 1 hr a month ago. In fact I probably couldn't catch the same amount of fish no matter the length of time that I used to. This is trying to take into consideration the violent weather here lately though.

I will be adding 1000 3-6" CNBG on May 1 and 40 lbs tilapia.

I'll be adding probably 50 10+" Florida and F1 bass in late winter or early spring next year for a genetics upgrade.

The above bass addition makes it a little more diffucult to figure how many bass to cull out, I definitly need ample room for these guys coming in.

Any ideas on how I should figure this?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Catch Per Unit Of Effort: CPUE or CPU The catch of fish, in numbers or in weight, taken by a defined unit of fishing effort. Also called: catch per effort, fishing success, availability .

If you catch 10 fish in the first hour and 5 in the next hour the CPU has decreased by 50%.

I would keep using the beetle spin and take out the crappie. That will also let you see if you catch any LMB.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
by the way, im taking out everything under 16" for now. That consist of about 98% of what I catch. Normally fish caught are between 8" and 14" mostly.

Regardless of fixing my current problem, in the long run, shouldn't I always take out all fish in the 8-14" size range?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
What lures are you catching your bass on chad? I have a 4.5 acre pond that is about 20 years old and is in the same situation as yours. You should have some good sized bluegill in there. I know I do. Reason I ask is that I am trying to cull heavy on the bass like you are, but they are getting tougher to catch on my usual go to technique (weightless zoom trick worm), and due to all the bladderwort in my pond, spinnerbait fishing is frustrating as all get out.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Well, of all the expensive lures and stuff thats out, probably 75% of the bass were caught on a Beetle-spin with a yellow grub.

The others were caught on a lure called a Storm "Kickin Minnow" that is clear in color almost, 4" gulp minnows, and some small spinnerbaits.

The key with this pond was keeping the baits smaller in size.

One thing we have noticed clearly though is they did not and still don't want to bite a Worm or any kind of worm fishing whether it be lizards, crawfish, fire-tails or what. They want bite'em.

How many fish have you taken out?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
We bought the property with pond in November of 2007. I would guess over a 100 bass. I started keeping good records this year with an Excel spreadsheet.

Have you tried a Zoom trick worm rigged weightless? My stunted skinny bass seem to like them, you might be surprised. I use watermelon red.

One big problem I have is water lilies and bladderwort. Supposed to have a chemical treatment sometime this month...can't wait!

I can't fish shallow water due to the bladderwort and water lilies, which makes catching a lot of bass tough.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Go to some live bait fishing when you want to cull hard.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Go to some live bait fishing when you want to cull hard.

Yup... You aint in it for the sport, you're doing to it to manage your pond.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
We usually keep some shiners in a container we keep tied up to the pier. I can't tell you how many times I've sat there with a live shiner on the end of my line and had the shiner die (which takes a while) and not catch a fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass