Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,972
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (sprkplug, STG, FishinRod, Donatello, Boondoggle, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, MOFishermen, Ponderific2024), 1,127 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Our Board at our fishing club (80 acre lake) has a discussion scheduled on this legislation. Has anyone here heard or know anything about this proposal. If so, any opinions would be appreciated.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
In case you want a clean copy, here it is...

HR 2421

The thing that really bothers me about this bill is that it substantially expands the oversight authority of the Feds. Previously, "navigable waters" were under control of USACE, and perhaps USEPA, when discussing pollution. Everything that didn't meet the definition of "navigable" was left to the states for oversight. They could basically regulate as they saw fit, as long as they didn't write rules that were less stringent than the feds...that's never allowed.

If this passes, all state plans will be subject to review by USACE and USEPA. If the fed don't like the way a state is overseeing the uses of waters (even if wholly within the boundaries of the state) they can then demand changes.

I've been in the enviro field for nearly 20 years...this is nothing new. It's not an expansion of the rules, just the field of play to which they apply.

How this will affect us folks that enjoy pond building, is yet to be seen. If you are diggin' a hole to let it fill with ground water, it's hard to see how you would be covered (not existing "streams"). BUT if you do as I did, and dam up a draw or two...there's nothing in there that excludes these small flows (even if they only happen during a rain event), and in fact, they may very well BE covered, as it specifically applies even to "intermittent" streams.

I guess the only thing one might do is to contact their representatives to see if they can obtain clarification on this question. Normally, congress passes rules, and then leaves it up to court cases to actually define specific application...right or wrong, that's the way of life in the U.S. That's pretty tough to swallow, if it's you that may be affected.

I can say unequivocally, that I'm certainly glad to have already built my ponds. If I ever get around to building my third, and it's the granddaddy...I will probably have to get a USACE permit, should this rule pass. I NEVER would have been required to do so in previous years. That's the main difference between the "before" and "after" of this rule...all states will be on a more or less equal footing on this requirement.

Just my opinion...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This is the Bill which PB mag pointed out a couple issues back. It is an outright attempt to overrule the US Supreme Court's Rapanos decision and the new CWA regulations. If you want control of your pond and the land around it in Washington then it is for you. Cradle to grave regulation of water from where the rain hits the ground to the sea.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Big brother strikes again.Count me OUT.Why dont they just make everything illigal and have our paychecks direct-deposit to the IRS.Then they could all go home and get paid for nothing(which IMHO they already are.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM
Compaction Question
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:05 AM
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:58 AM