Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#507233 06/11/19 04:08 PM
D
Dave_IA Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I would like to accomplish a few objectives with this idea...layering the face of my pond dam with larger rock, what we call "erosion stone" here in Iowa. Most pieces are 6" - 9" in size.

This will prevent muskrats, etc, from burrowing in the dam. (Something that they have started to do a little bit.)

Provide stabilization to the dam and reduce any erosion from waves, etc.

Provide some escape cover for minnows and fry, etc.

I am concerned about bringing the rock in via dump truck, as I think I may damage my dam with that much weight. So I am thinking about using a smaller, dump bed, flat bed truck that will limit the weight at any given point in time on the dam.

But I wonder if that then is feasible. Would I need so many trips to get the job done that I wouldn't want to do it that way?

For those that have rocked a dam face, how did you do it? How far above and below the water surface would you place the rock? Would it be better to dump big loads nearby, but not on the dam, and then use a skidloader to spread it out?

Just looking for advice, experience, ideas on the subject. TIA.

Last edited by Dave_IA; 06/11/19 04:08 PM.
I used to fish a couple of east Tennessee TVA lakes that had large earthen dams that were completely covered in the same size rock your describing. It wasn't uncommon to see muskrats come crawling out of the cracks.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
A
A
You'll need a loader machine to place the material no matter where Mr. Trucker unloads.
Once the load on a dump truck hits the tipping point there's no stopping it to re-position and go again.

2'-3' above and below MWL should be good, depending on local variables - water level fluctuation, dam slope, wind chop, etc.

J
J
We had them pile ripped out sidewalks near the dam and used a tractor and loader to spread it. The benefits of being a farmer.

When I built my big pond I did this - put down 300' of weed control fabric 4' wide - where it's centered on full pool - and then had 12 dump truck loads of riprap brought in and dumped in a pile. I then used a skid loader to move it where I wanted it - dumped some and placed a good bit by hand.

That was 10 years ago. Rocks are still there and still doing what I wanted - primary goal was erosion control, with a secondary 'hope' of keeping the muskrats off the pond dam. 100% successful with the erosion control and as far as I'm aware also with the muskrat control - I do indeed HAVE muskrats but so far they haven't built on the dam. Not sure how much of that is due to the rocks....but I'll take it.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
D
Dave_IA Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys, I think the idea of bringing in the rock via dump truck and piling it up nearby the dam is the way I will go. I have a loader on the tractor, so I should be able to scoop from the pile and place it from there.

One tidbit that may save you some frustration (and maybe some labor)...have your truck driver spread the rock out in the staging area by driving off while it's dumping. I have found it much easier to scoop up larger rock when it is spread out thin rather than scooping from a pile.

Maybe I'm wasn't doing it right, but it sure seemed that the weight of the piled rocks made it hard to get the scoop under it and get a full load. I ended up having to drag the rock out first and then scoop it up. Still didn't get a full bucket load, but ended up moving it faster that way.

(This was for moving large rock as back fill to retaining walls, not pond dams, but the principle should be the same. I guess larger equipment would help...I was using a skid steer that was on the smaller side. IIRC it had a 5 ft bucket.)

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
I had Mr. Trucker drop it on my driveway. It's close to the pond, and the hard, clean, surface made it easy to pick up with the loader bucket.

I need to put out a couple more loads, but we haven't had a week between rains in I can't remember when. It will dry up eventually I suppose.

D
Dave_IA Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
One tidbit that may save you some frustration (and maybe some labor)...have your truck driver spread the rock out in the staging area by driving off while it's dumping. I have found it much easier to scoop up larger rock when it is spread out thin rather than scooping from a pile.

Maybe I'm wasn't doing it right, but it sure seemed that the weight of the piled rocks made it hard to get the scoop under it and get a full load. I ended up having to drag the rock out first and then scoop it up. Still didn't get a full bucket load, but ended up moving it faster that way.

(This was for moving large rock as back fill to retaining walls, not pond dams, but the principle should be the same. I guess larger equipment would help...I was using a skid steer that was on the smaller side. IIRC it had a 5 ft bucket.)

Thanks for the tip, although I had not considered that, it makes sense to me. Separately, I maintain a dirt pile on my farm so I have ready access to a bucketful, or more, of dirt when I need it and it is a little tedious to get my bucket to "bite" in that pile.

I can see where a pile of rocks would be even a little more challenging to scoop. Thanks!

D
Dave_IA Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Augie
I had Mr. Trucker drop it on my driveway. It's close to the pond, and the hard, clean, surface made it easy to pick up with the loader bucket.

I need to put out a couple more loads, but we haven't had a week between rains in I can't remember when. It will dry up eventually I suppose.

What was your driveway surface? I have only a graveled lane and it is about 250 yards from the pond dam. BUT...I am little concerned about the full weight of a dump truck going out across field lane...so maybe it would be best to stick to the driveway anyway.

That way the heavy loads will be confined to the graveled lane and even with a little more travel from the dumped rock pile down to the dam via tractor, I wouldn't be tearing up a field lane and/or pond dam. Hmmm...Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Dave_IA; 06/13/19 01:04 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted By: Dave_IA
What was your driveway surface?

Gravel lane. Two lifts of 3" clean topped with two lifts of 1.5" surface stone. I had to do some grooming when I got done moving the 2x6 stone to the pond dam. I'm still digging rocks out of the sod where I had to drive across the yard to get to the pond dam.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM