Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
VTinVA Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Good Morning/Afternoon all,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now and appreciate all the expert (and non-expert crazy) advice everyone gives here! I recently moved to Virginia from Vermont, and am now the proud owner of two new ponds. I will preface this post that it may be a bit lengthy as I've been gathering information for weeks now on what I need to do.

[/b] About the first pond:[b]
it is about 1/4 acre, maybe a bit longer and is in the shape of a C. In the middle, there is an old spring well that feeds the pond very slowly, maybe a gallon/minute or so. This pond at one time must have been a beautiful relaxing spot right next to the house but it has now turned into a mosquito breeding pool along with a healthy amount of weed world. There are multiple types of weeds/algae, filamentous, kind of a brown sludgy algae on the bottom, and duck weeds. The pond also has cat tails, lily pads, and a healthy amount of sediment. When I poke the bottom of the pond that I can reach with a pole, a large amount of bubbles come up leading me to believe this is just a decomposing pile of water with little to no movement.

[/b]My Goal:[b]
I'm looking to try and clean this pond up, make it swim-able, and stock it with bass and perch (or something of this sort). I would just like a clean slice of water that isn't filled with sludge, branches, leaves and other crap as it currently is. I'd like to not spend a fortune but willing to put in enough money to take care of it.

[/b]Options I've come up with:[b]

1. I have two gallons of cutrine plus and 10 lb of granular copper sulfate. My plan was to slowly apply the algaecide and copper sulfate and get rid of some of the algae. I then was planning on obtaining an air pump two large aerators to start agitating the pond and hopefully revitalizing it. Unfortunately, I'm worried the pond has reached a state where the decomposition has taken over and it's not as deep as it should be. My plan was to then try to rake as much junk out of the pond that I could.

2. Drain the pond with a water pump and re-direct water flow. Dry the pond out as much as possible and rake it out, potentially rent a small excavator to dig some of the nasty stuff out.

3. Pump out the water myself and dry the pond out and hire someone to dig it out and then let the rains and well fill the pond back up. I prefer to avoid this method as it is going to be insane expensive I presume.

[/b]In Conclusion:[b]
My apologies for this being such a lengthy first post but I truly appreciate any and all advice on what I should do with this pond and how to bring it back to something that is enjoyable and productive. I'll try to attach some pictures here for you to see. Unfortunately I don't have any real good photos but when I get to the house this weekend I will upload more. Thank you for any and all advice!!!!

Note: I couldn't add a video, but I will add more pictures later when I get some.

Attached Images
2692349-1508041206168437-p.jpg IS5e2h78l0jx9k1000000000.jpg
Welcome to PBF!

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I'm sure some of the pros will be along to offer advice. In the meantime, you might want to browse the pond renovation section of the forum.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=26&page=1

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome aboard VT! Given the fairly small size, and unless you are a skilled track hoe operator, you will spend way less money bringing in a larger excavator with a skilled operator. They could do in a few hours what smaller stuff, and no skills, would take a couple weeks to get done.

Aeration is a plus, but too large is as bad as being undersized. Copper will do nothing to remove algae...it just kills it, and the nutrients decompose and start over.

Spend your money draining, digging out all the muck and garbage, spread it out well on the back side of the dam, repair your outlet pipes if needed, and enjoy a generation or two of pleasure!

V
VTinVA Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks Rainman! I'll have to look into someone who will do some excavator work for me. Should I decide to dig this pond out so it is about 10 ft deep, do you suggest some sort of aeration for it? I've seen some kits online for $300 that are used that come with two aerators and look like a productive way to aerate a pond and keep a stable environment.

V
VTinVA Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks Bill! I'll look into this section of the forum.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails