Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (TLL, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, shores41), 1,143 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Look at the shad in stomach!!!!

Attached Images
IMG_0441.JPG
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
How do you know it's shad in that stomach? My vision isn't that good.

More: http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/i...tourism-economy

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
OP Offline
S
I wouldn't believe anything from Iowa!!!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Many people have an opinion - that does not mean they are correct. There is a lot of information here on most questions for people with an open mind to learn. GS can work in some cases for the right goal but will be a problem in many others.

S
OP Offline
S
The following is an excerpt from a Florida fishery biologist study report: "A recent study determined differences in food habits of largemouth bass in vegetated versus unvegetated lakes in Central Florida. Findings indicated that sunfish (e.g., bluegill and redear) were primary fish species ingested by bass in vegetated lakes, and crustaceans (grass shrimp and crayfish), constituted a significant portion of their diets. In contrast, shad and tilapia were the dominant species ingested by bass in unvegetated lakes, with little or no feeding on crustaceans. Bass swallow organisms whole instead of biting off pieces, limiting the size of prey that they consume. Any prey having a body depth less than the diameter of the bass' mouth may be consumed. A bass will grasp its food any way it can, but usually tries to swallow fish head first. This allows the dorsal fin of prey fish to lie flat when swallowed." Largemouth bass often ambush their food, lying in wait for prey to swim by. This type of behavior is used when vegetation or other cover, is available. In open water, bass become pursuit oriented in which their streamlined shape and strong body allow them to move very quickly for short distances and catch their prey. Although the larger bass are usually solitary predators, the smaller ones often school to 'herd' their prey and make catching them easier.

S
OP Offline
S
Oh yea Walleye like Gizzard shad too!!!!!!

Attached Images
IMG_0992.PNG
B
B
Originally Posted By: Spicelanebass

The following is an excerpt from a Florida fishery biologist study report: "A recent study determined differences in food habits of largemouth bass in vegetated versus unvegetated lakes in Central Florida. Findings indicated that sunfish (e.g., bluegill and redear) were primary fish species ingested by bass in vegetated lakes, and crustaceans (grass shrimp and crayfish), constituted a significant portion of their diets. In contrast, shad and tilapia were the dominant species ingested by bass in unvegetated lakes, with little or no feeding on crustaceans. Bass swallow organisms whole instead of biting off pieces, limiting the size of prey that they consume. Any prey having a body depth less than the diameter of the bass' mouth may be consumed. A bass will grasp its food any way it can, but usually tries to swallow fish head first. This allows the dorsal fin of prey fish to lie flat when swallowed." Largemouth bass often ambush their food, lying in wait for prey to swim by. This type of behavior is used when vegetation or other cover, is available. In open water, bass become pursuit oriented in which their streamlined shape and strong body allow them to move very quickly for short distances and catch their prey. Although the larger bass are usually solitary predators, the smaller ones often school to 'herd' their prey and make catching them easier.

I wouldn't believe anything from Florida... or Indiana

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Let me know where you found those X-ray specs??? They would be very helpful in my line of work.

For God's sake, just run with the GS idea. It's obviously what you want, and it's YOUR lake after all. I'm not sure what you expect from the forum...you've gotten good advice, and still you persist. If you're that convinced you're on the right track, then sometimes you need to take a leap of faith. Let us know how it looks in 3-5 years, and we'll all learn something together. Or not. Either way you will have done what you thought was best, and sometimes that's all we can hope for.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Gizzard shad are native to river systems in NE. We dig many sandpits along the rivers in NE, and every sandpit I've ever fished has resident populations of GS. In some fisheries, their existence supports decent populations of apex predators including BC, FHC, HSB, WE, etc. and the CP and LMB also join in the schooling of YOY GS which number literally millions of fish. Often the forage is so abundant, angling return suffers for extended amounts of time. In these large BOWS [average size 50-200 acres] the GS seem to have found a niche and help support the fishery. HOWEVER, in smaller BOWs I personally feel GS presence would serve as a detriment to the fishery - there cannot exist enough topline predators present to manage the population in my opinion. I would not want 18" adult GS taking up precious biomass in my small fishery.

However, science is only achieved when one experiments and goes against the grain. Per Spark - it's your fishery - I encourage you to go for it and we'll all benefit from your results. Good luck.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Ben Adducchio

I wouldn't believe anything from Florida... or Indiana

grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
I would like to seen a kamloop raised on GS also...

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Gizzard shad may need to be banned from this site due to inciting riots:)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

What state was that LMB caught in? To me, that could also be a female full of eggs in the spring.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: esshup

What state was that LMB caught in? To me, that could also be a female full of eggs in the spring.

Scott, you mean like this one that lives on a diet of CNBG, and GSF hors d'oeuvres?

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep! I can't believe anyone from Nebraska would say Texas is cold. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I wish I was as ruggedly handsome, fashion conscious, and fastidiously groomed as the fellow in that photo. And he can use a baitcaster, also???

Some fellows just have it all. Fate can be so unkind.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Some of us are just blessed that way:)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That must be true. So horribly, unfairly, painfully true. whistle

S
OP Offline
S
That's a central Indiana Bass. Pretty impressive, huh.

Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: esshup

Scott, you mean like this one that lives on a diet of CNBG, and GSF hors d'oeuvres?

That's purty right there!

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I wish I was as ruggedly handsome, fashion conscious, and fastidiously groomed as the fellow in that photo. And he can use a baitcaster, also???

Some fellows just have it all. Fate can be so unkind.

Tony, the mystery man in that pic does have that urban/fish commando look down pat. Pics of me? Not so much.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Totally nailed the look.

Why is it my photos have me looking like I've spent 12 hours on an open cab tractor, plowing a dusty field in full sunlight on a 100 degree day, stopping only long enough to crawl under the tractor and tighten up those loose, dripping oil pan bolts?

Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Why is it my photos have me looking like I've spent 12 hours on an open cab tractor, plowing a dusty field in full sunlight on a 100 degree day, stopping only long enough to crawl under the tractor and tighten up those loose, dripping oil pan bolts?

Because pics don't lie? wink

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a central Indiana Bass. Pretty impressive, huh.

Yes, that's a nice LMB. Is that an abnormality for the particular BOW or is it the norm for the larger LMB in there? What time of year was it caught?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
IMO growing BIG LMB is all about having an abundance appropriate sized forage throughout the entire lifetime of the fish and those LMB will never be easy to catch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?