Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,913
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (esshup, Boondoggle, Joeydickens93, rjackson, Theo Gallus, catscratch, Shorthose, Dave Davidson1), 738 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394498 12/10/14 06:46 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey all,

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for such a great forum. I've been reading for a few days now, and learning so much.

I am in the process of selecting a parcel of land to buy outside of Tucson AZ in the Marana area. About 5 acres. I want to put a 1/3 acre or so pond on it.

I was looking into the feasibility and cost of it and it seems possible. I've spoken to a few "consultants" about it and they seem confident about it. I'd like to raise fish to eat (occasionally) in it, and swim in it. I would like less maintenance rather than more, and for the fish to breed instead of stocking and taking. I was looking at BG and LMB, but not sure how the lady and (future) kids would like pecking of BG.

Is this possible, or am I crazy and should choose a different route to take with our property?

Thanks!

P
OP Offline
P
Forgot to mention, the water source will most likely be city water, with a small amount of rainfall in summer months (8" rainfall per year). Originally wanted a larger 1/2 acre pond, but my understanding is that water loss scales with surface area, so to keep it affordable I am willing to go down in size.

Edited: Looks like a well is the only thing that can support the pond, we like wells and one of the properties we are looking at has one.

Last edited by Preponderous; 12/10/14 09:23 PM.
P
P
Prepond........

Welcome to the family.. Great info here and nice folks.

Pat W

City water has chlorine and other bad for fish things in it unless you have a well.

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 12/10/14 06:52 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Prepond........

Pat W

City water has chlorine and other bad for fish things in it unless you have a well.

Thanks for the welcome Pat. I appreciate you.

One of the properties we are looking at has a well at one end and city water at the other. I thought that was interesting.

The other property only has city water, but I think a well could be drilled there as long as it's 100 ft away from the water line, if I understand it. I like the autonomy of a well, in theory. We're homesteading types (with the understanding that Tucson is probably the worst place to try and establish one :D)

Welcome!

Counting on city water can be a big expense, not to mention chlorine and other stuff they put in like Pat said. Have you looked into the cost of the water? Not trying to discourage you, just trying to keep you from an unexpected surprise! Where I live, they base you sewage bill on a percentage of your water bill. Are you going to be septic or city sewer?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
Pre.....
Most of our ponds here in Texas rely on runoff from rain from the watershed. I suspect that in your area there isn't much rain.. Do your research on the watershed on your proposed prop. No water no pond

Someone smarter will be along to answer you better.

Pat W

When I think of Arizona I think of sunshine! A solar or wind driven pump in a well an option?

I am with Pat, hopefully some of the pond gurus will jump in with all the right questions and advice.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/10/14 07:33 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Welcome!

Counting on city water can be a big expense, not to mention chlorine and other stuff they put in like Pat said. Have you looked into the cost of the water? Not trying to discourage you, just trying to keep you from an unexpected surprise! Where I live, they base you sewage bill on a percentage of your water bill. Are you going to be septic or city sewer?

Thanks for the welcome Bill!

I have done an estimate for the cost of water, which is why I revised our goals from 1/2 acre to 1/3 acre (would be fine with 1/4 acre too). I estimated that if the pond lost 1.5 inches a week at 1/3 acre surface area, we'd "lose" approx 5000 gallons a month (accounting for 0 rainwater). At current water prices this seems reasonable. If my uneducated calculation is WAY off, someone please give me a heads up cool

One property has septic, the other has none.

P
OP Offline
P
Pre.....
Most of our ponds here in Texas rely on runoff from rain from the watershed. I suspect that in your area there isn't much rain.. Do your research on the watershed on your proposed prop. No water no pond

Someone smarter will be along to answer you better.

Pat W

Thanks Pat.

I did speak to a consultant from Arizona that does ponds and he says he's done up to a 1 acre pond in Tucson no problem. Of course it will have to heavily rely on water service or well access.

Tucson does get 8-12 inches per year, not a lot, but something, mostly in the summer but there's about 0.5-1 inch a month otherwise.

There was a guy on here, AaronM, that had a pond in Arizona, I think up in Phx area too. I read his posts here.

P
P
Pre...

What kind of soil is in your area. Need a clay to hold water. The more surface area pond has the more evaporation you will have. Where I am rain is at a premium sometimes so I had my lake dug a little deeper than normal for the size. Less surface area less evap. Them you have to worry about O2 levels with the no of fish.

Pat W

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
One inch of water, over 1 surface acre is 27000 gallons. A one third acre pond would equal 9000 gallons in an inch. 1.5" loss per week, x four weeks in month, is six inches, or 54000 gallons per month.

If my math is correct.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
OP Offline
P
Pre...

What kind of soil is in your area. Need a clay to hold water. The more surface area pond has the more evaporation you will have. Where I am rain is at a premium sometimes so I had my lake dug a little deeper than normal for the size. Less surface area less evap. Them you have to worry about O2 levels with the no of fish.

Pat W

I don't think the soil is great, so we'd have to go with a liner. Thoughts?

Your estimated water loss seems low to me. I am not an expert so, of course, I googled it! The first, and only site, I checked had this to say:

..... ponds in the Midwest -- relatively hot and fairly humid -- losing about 1 1/2 inches a day in summer, and ponds in Arizona, with much hotter and much drier air, potentially losing twice that....

So according to this ONE source, your estimate may be low. It is saying you could lose 21 inches per week

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
One inch of water, over 1 surface acre is 27000 gallons. A one third acre pond would equal 9000 gallons in an inch. 1.5" loss per week, x four weeks in month, is six inches, or 54000 gallons per month.

If my math is correct.

Math is hard. I missed a zero. blush

I guess this explains why there aren't a lot of ponds in the desert.

P
OP Offline
P
Your estimated water loss seems low to me. I am not an expert so, of course, I googled it! The first, and only site, I checked had this to say:

..... ponds in the Midwest -- relatively hot and fairly humid -- losing about 1 1/2 inches a day in summer, and ponds in Arizona, with much hotter and much drier air, potentially losing twice that....

So according to this ONE source, your estimate may be low. It is saying you could lose 21 inches per week

Since it now seems my math is wrong, and the pond loses much more water each week than I thought, even at 1.5 inches, the proposition of having my little oasis in the desert seems even more unlikely than I thought. frown

Open to feedback.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Preponderous
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

If my math is correct.

Math is hard. I missed a zero. blush

I guess this explains why there aren't a lot of ponds in the desert.

I suppose with a private well I could offset the pond water loss by running the pump a few hours a day. That seems like the most realistic (only) option, so long as the well can support that amount of flow. Thoughts?

Hey! Don't give up so easy! You don't need 1/3 acre to occasionally eat a fish and swim. A smaller pond would be cheaper to build, cheaper to put a liner in, cheaper to stock, cheaper to keep full of water, cheaper..... IMO you can still do it just not maybe as big a scale as you thought. My advice, you know your budget, do a little more research. A 1/10 acre pond is one dang big swimming pool! A few HSB and some BG and you have your occasional BG fish fry!

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/10/14 08:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
And think about how cool you could lanscape that smaller pond. Maybe a water fall over big rocks? Helps solve the aeration and chlorine (if you go city water) problems in all that hot weather? I see a patio with a huge barbecue along side you pond in your future!

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
And think about how cool you could lanscape that smaller pond. Maybe a water fall over big rocks? Helps solve the aeration and chlorine (if you go city water) problems in all that hot weather? I see a patio with a huge barbecue along side you pond in your future!

Thanks for the kind replies Bill! You really made me feel better when I felt a little foolish and discouraged. Thanks cool

P
P
Preponderous

Before you use city water a well would be less costly in the long run because of the gallonage you would likely need not to mention having to de chlorinate that much water.

Pat W

Don't give up yet. The smart guys are waiting for us dummies to give them a laugh or three.

P
OP Offline
P
Preponderous

Before you use city water a well would be less costly in the long run because of the gallonage you would likely need not to mention having to de chlorinate that much water.

Pat W

Don't give up yet. The smart guys are waiting for us dummies to give them a laugh or three.

Yeah my math was wrong, and I believe you're right - a well is the only thing that could support such a pond. Doh!

I like the idea of a well anyway, and one of the properties we are looking at does have a well at one end. Getting more information about it.

P
P
Pre......
I wasn't checking your math at all in fact didn't even pay it any attention at all, just know how much city water can cost .... Staggering at best ... You will figure out a way to get it done if you want it bad enough. And it will be worth the trouble to do it.

Pat W

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Preponderous
Forgot to mention, the water source will most likely be city water, with a small amount of rainfall in summer months (8" rainfall per year). Originally wanted a larger 1/2 acre pond, but my understanding is that water loss scales with surface area, so to keep it affordable I am willing to go down in size.

Edited: Looks like a well is the only thing that can support the pond, we like wells and one of the properties we are looking at has one.

Prepond........

Pat W

It's possible the chlorine would not be an issue if the water is aerated or splashed as it enters the pond. I know of folks that make up to 10 percent water changes per day with chlorinated water in recirculating systems with no issues. I would guess adding piped water to a pond would be much less chlorine issues.

My concern with municpal water would be the cost. Also the pumping cost of the well could be high as I'll bet the wells are quite deep where you're at.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/10/14 09:59 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey! Don't give up so easy! You don't need 1/3 acre to occasionally eat a fish and swim. A smaller pond would be cheaper to build, cheaper to put a liner in, cheaper to stock, cheaper to keep full of water, cheaper..... IMO you can still do it just not maybe as big a scale as you thought. My advice, you know your budget, do a little more research. A 1/10 acre pond is one dang big swimming pool! A few HSB and some BG and you have your occasional BG fish fry!

Here is one of my ponds at 1/10th acre. 88 by 59 feet. Still plenty of fishing and swimming room.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Here is one of my ponds at 1/10th acre. 88 by 59 feet. Still plenty of fishing and swimming room.

Wonderful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by Theo Gallus - 04/23/24 07:08 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by catscratch - 04/23/24 05:34 AM