Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (Don Kennedy, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago, Augie, Shorthose, emactxag, Sunil, 4CornersPuddle, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1), 827 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#274110 11/21/11 08:38 PM
L
OP Offline
L
My wife and I recently had a pond dug, so I am trying to take advantage of an "empty" pond to build a dock while it is easy and above water.

First problem: My soil type is a total mush of clay, sand, and rocks up the size of tractor tires. Yes, good dam materials, no, lousy post digging and holding. No matter where you dig, you hit a rock after chiseling through the hardest packed "soil" you have ever seen. One step shy of a rock itself.

So my solution was to dig 8 1-2 foot deep holes up the side of the dam, pound 3x 3' long masonry spikes down so only 6" were exposed, and then fill the holes with crack resistant concrete and then drop a 4x4 concrete footer block on top. Then I added some hardware screwed/secured to the top of the blocks to hold my wood with the ability to pivot a little. (All hot-dipped anodized) Then I packed all around these footers with more clay and rocks for any additional sealing I may or may not need.

Second problem: Lumber. I would have never thought getting treated round posts of at least 14' long would be difficult in WNY. Turns out I would have to purchase 30 posts to get the proper treatment on the lumber. I wonder what I would have done with the other 26 posts (besides going broke)? I wound up settling for 4x4s with CMA treatment,which is supposed to be very good for low-leach in fresh water.

Third problem: Cost. My gosh this is adding up! Lumber costs a lot these days. I haven't even purchased the surface materials yet (any recommendations for a swimming dock?)

Forth problem: My lumber isn't here yet, and we are supposed to get 1-2" of rain tomorrow night. Experience has shown I get about 18" of new water in this pond for every 1" of rain. The bottom-most footer is about 1/2 under and the water is one step shy of having ice on it. Uh-oh. Cold wet work when the lumber gets here!

Fifth problem: Mud. I couldn't invent better boot-glue. That stuff sticks to boots like crazy. A few steps in and each foot weighs an additional 10 lbs. Very tiring to work there when things are wet! I had one day where I thought I was in trouble as I could barely lift my feet and kept sliding back in the hole.

So this forecast has me a bit worried of taking what seemed like an easy project and turning it into a nightmare.

Thought I would share.

If I were to do this again I would have ordered those floating docks that you can piece together like Legos. They looked interesting but expensive, but based on how this project is panning out, may have been a deal.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I went in between with an aluminum dock that I pieced together. The broad feet rest on the bottom and I do not have to take it out in the winter. My pond is only slightly smaller than yours and we don't get the ice shift.

I found that the floating docks were too expensive. I wish you luck with getting the lumber and the project done.

Dock in the winter

Last edited by CoachB; 11/21/11 09:58 PM.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

J
J
We bought an old pontoon boat and used it for our dock.

L
OP Offline
L
Turns out we have an old sailboat in the bushes left over from the previous owners. I think it may make a perfect floating platform (it has a double keel or whatever you call it). It may need a little restoration but I always wondered what to do with the junk left behind. I never had the heart to throw out the sailboat, and now it may come in handy!

I think the 1930's era cement mixer trailer may make a good fish shelter too! Great place to do some diving and get rid of some unsightly junk.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
On my dock I used 1/4 in thick 4 in square tubing for the post. That way I could have the boards on the outside flat against. I took a 5 inch piece of square tubing and welded a solid piece in the top and put handles on the side to use as a pile driver over the 4 in pipe. When I got down so far I could drive on the top with a sledge hammer. We were able to drive down about 4 feet doing this and then could't drive any farther. I have a friend that used the same idea and so far no problems. Ice hasn't affected it and I figure I will be dead by the time it rust into.

Last edited by John Mehling; 11/23/11 11:32 PM.
H
H
I had to build a diversion birm to reroute the storm water around the pond during construction (still ongoing). works well. Shame to see all that water going around where I really want it to go though.

L
OP Offline
L
So I had some friends lined up this weekend and some chest-waders in anticipation of my wood being delivered this week. It showed up at 84 Lumber today but... they are closed for inventory. Come ON already.

I have no convenient way to lower my pond level or divert water. At some point I will be installing a siphon, but budget has run short. I am likely going to have to do this the hard way and accept a little "shrinkage" though it has been a long time since I have done any Polar Bear clubbing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is there anywhere local that you can rent a dewatering pump for a day or 2? If you're sucking out 15,000gph or more the level will go down pretty quick.

The other thing to do is wait until the pond freezes over solid and work on the ice, which is my preferred way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM