Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,941
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (Sunil, catscratch, John Folchetti, BackyardKoi, Kanon M, Jward87, Knobber, ewest, jludwig, Willowwood, Lumberman1985, gautprod, Boondoggle), 867 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Just saw a big snapper (30-50 pounds) in my new pond. Is this a problem? Do I need to get rid of him (her)? how would I do that? It is the same size as the Kentucky Turtleman catches in that crazy youtube video (I am not going to try that!).

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Just set out a couple of jugs or a trot line baited with cut bait and it shouldn't take long to catch him. If you have alot of catfish that you are worried about catching then use a whole bream that catfish can't fit into there mouth.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You can get bigger hook and use a steel leader tied to some heavy test fishing line.

Bait the hook with a piece of meat. Tie the line off to something solid on shore and then wait. He'll come and eat it.

He might not be the only one.

The jury is out on leaving him be, or removing him.

Personally, I don't think it is much of a problem, so I leave them be. I have over (50) I'm sure in a 6-7 acre pond.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
my pond is only 1/2 an acre. Is the turtle a threat to my fish (just stocked this spring 450 total fish)? I don't mind letting him be if he is no threat to the fish or my kids.

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
(I repeat this story every so often, a sure sign of aging.)

A month after Woodstock, a Snapper Trapper took over 30 large Snapping Turtles out of the pond on Max Yasgur's farm. During the festival, none of the chemically enhanced music fans skinny dipping in the pond were bitten.

For the record, Woodstock is NOT where Sunil lost his little toe. But that's another story.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks Theo,

that is what I thought, but looking at my 10 year old eying that turtle before she jumped into the pond and asking me if she was going to be attacked, I wanted to be sure what I told her was right. The turtles are more afraid of us than we are of it.

Brian
Retired Coach

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I easily moved one with a homemade turtle trap. I don't think he was a threat to the free swimming fish in the ponds either but was worried he could bite into one my fish cages.

A turtle that big has been around at least 50 years. It would be a shame to kill him.

If you do catch him and decide to relocate him don't let anyone see you. Knowing Michigan there is a law against that too!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I certainly don't want to kill it. Michigan is such a nutty state with it's regulations.

Brian
Retired Coach

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you don't mind him eating your vegetation one turtle shouldn't be a problem & they are cool to have around.
But it won't be one turtle for long. One large turtle in a pond usually means it's a female. Females lay eggs. Eggs hatch.
How many are you willing to have in your pond?
It's alot easier to remove the one.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
I certainly don't want to kill it. Michigan is such a nutty state with it's regulations.

Just to be clear I love Michigan! I really do. Got my fisheries degree there. But...

The inside joke around here for our anglers fishing in Michigan is you need a law degree to understand the fishing regulations.

Ironically my state of Indiana is exact opposite. Too lax IMHO! People developing wetlands for housing divisions, rivers dredged straight as a board etc. etc. Many of our major rivers down here are chocolate colored after ever rain.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/16/09 07:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
It will also take care of any baby geese or ducks that happen to come along during the spring. Of course when that happens, it sorta traumatizes the kids if they happen to see it happen.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Davedg
It will also take care of any baby geese or ducks that happen to come along during the spring. Of course when that happens, it sorta traumatizes the kids if they happen to see it happen.

That's call wildlife education.

Seriously I am amazed at the kids growing up that think animal life is like the Disney cartoons and movies.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I think I hear the theme music from JAWS..............

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just saw a big snapper (30-50 pounds) in my new pond. Is this a problem? Do I need to get rid of him (her)? how would I do that? It is the same size as the Kentucky Turtleman catches in that crazy youtube video (I am not going to try that!).

30-50 lbs. could certainly be a problem. As was stated above, this is probably a female that will lay eggs, leading to more problems. I've never been grabbed by one, but I've sure been hissed at by some big ones, and I've had them break some pretty big sticks as we were catching them.

I love to have wildlife around my pond, but some critters are just not welcome. Large breeding size snappers are one. I've used chicken quarters and 6/0 circle hooks under a big free floating jug to catch them. When I catch them, I usually "dispatch" them with a .22 shot just behind where the neck goes into the shell.

They are excellent table fare for soups, stews, and casseroles. If you cut the head off, just keep your hands and fingers away from it for quite a while, as it can stay active and dangerous for several hours. Pond Boss had a great article within the last two years about big snappers.

The problem is not the one turtle. It is that particular turtle bringing in the whole extended family, and the generations that follow.

Good luck,
Ken

P. S. If you catch one, don't try to transport it live in the trunk of your car. As a teenager, I tried this with my dad's fairly new car. A friend and I caught a big one crossing a country road one night. We rolled it over, and tossed it in the trunk. By the time we got it home for butchering, it had peed (marinated) the car trunk into an unbelievably nasty odor that never left that car.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
A snapper that big will eat anything it can get its mouth on. I mean that almost literally. It will probably not significantly decrease the fish population, but it will eat some of them if it gets a chance. IMO, it would be best to remove it,for both your sake and the turtles. In a small pond like yours, I would want as few potential fish predators as possible. Catch him using one of the methods the other posters mention and either relocate her to a more secluded area or eat/kill the ol' girl, depending on your preference. Your kids are in no danger from the snapper, unless they fall asleep in the water, then all bets are off!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've read that story before from catmandoo, but that is some funny stuff right there!

My kids are young, but when they're older, if fun is hauling a snapping turtle around in the trunk of my car, I might have to live with it considering what could be worse. The pee in the trunk stinking is the ying of the yang.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Brian - I have them around my ponds too. My ponds are about the same size as yours. I had one last year that would show up when I was feeding the fish. He would get his share of Aquamax 600 and then move on. I say live and let live........

Chuck

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
P
PFV Offline
Lunker
Lunker
P
Is the turtle a threat to my fish (just stocked this spring 450 total fish)? .

In the words of good ole Uncle Bill (Dance), and I quote, "If a turtle eats a fish, the fish deserved it".

They are merely a part of the ecosystem.

He is of no threat to your fish population, IMO.

There is, or at least was, an American Alligator Snapper on display at the Fair Park Aquarium in Dallas for as long as I can remember. This ole boy was around 200lbs, and BIG!!! I used to stare at that turtle for ever it seemed. For some reason I have always been facinated by the snappers.

"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets"... Charleton Heston
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I borrowed a trap from a friend to remove one. If I remember right all it was, was a box made of fence material with a funnel of the same material on each end. I put a rotten fish in and in no time the snapper was trapped in the cage. The cage was just above water on the top so he could come up for air I think.

I simply moved him to a river about 5 miles away. Like PFV I find them fascinating and wouldn't want to kill one, especially one that has been around as long as me. Correct me if I'm wrong but just like the dogfish, and gar, when you look at one you're looking at a creature that hasn't changed much since the dinosaurs.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/30/09 01:26 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Believe it or not this eve. as I was finishing feeding FHM in my forage pond a small snapper apeared & began feasting on the FHM as they fed on the floating game chow. He hovered just under the minnows picking them off. Never seen that before.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I, too, am fascinated by snapping turtles and have caught a couple from my creek in the past. Haven't seen any this year though.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Alligator snappers will eat some of your fish. They use their tongue like a lure to attract them, then snap, like a mouse trap. That being said, Alligator snappers are getting pretty scarce so I would try to catch and move him. Regular snappers live in my pond until I get a craving for turtle soup. I treat them like the catfish in my pond. Only take out what I (or family/friends) want to eat.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
send him to me

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Reminds me of a Chuck Berry song....

Once while swimming cross turtle creek,
Man them snappers right at my feet,
Sure was hard swimming cross that thing,
with both hands holding my ......
Well you get the idea.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Shaving cream?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...