Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (jpsdad, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 635 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161947 05/04/09 04:39 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Let's just say hypothetically I spotted a mink today at the trout pond and blew him or her away. \:\/ Anyone know how effective a mink would be at catching fast moving trout? Is it possible they are more into catching easy food like frogs? I know an otter could catch trout in it's sleep but thinking a mink is not as adept?

And is there a color difference between sexes? Darker ones are males and reddish ones females?

Just asking of course. ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
I once watched a single mink catch 5 LMB in the 10-14" range in an hour as the ice was coming off. He would sit on the ice and eat his catch, then head back into the water for another. After that a muskrat caught his attention and he stalked that muskrat on the ice just like a cat would do. \:o

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shorty,

Don't you think a largemouth bass is really slow moving in that cold of water? I've watched largemouths under the ice move quite slowly. The hope is a fast moving trout is more of a challenge.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/11/09 09:59 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

My bet is on the Mink. They are FAST suckers! They can swim under water to get inside the 'rat burrows, and they are pretty effecient hunters on land or water. Color variations are in both Males and Females.

They like Muskrats, so pick your poison! The good thing is they normally don't stick around for any length of time, they're kinda nomadic.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

My bet is on the Mink. They are FAST suckers! They can swim under water to get inside the 'rat burrows, and they are pretty effecient hunters on land or water. Color variations are in both Males and Females.

They like Muskrats, so pick your poison! The good thing is they normally don't stick around for any length of time, they're kinda nomadic.

Well I can't take any chances. It's war on both mink and muskrats. My one dike is so narrow a muskrat hole can be catostrophic. And I only planted 100 trout in the pond which is all it can handle carrying capacity wise when they get large enough to harvest. I have lost 6 though although it was not to a mink.

What are the chances there is another mink in the vicinity?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

It's rare that you see them during the day. I'll give the odds that another mink is in the area at 99%. I've been fishing on the St. Joe at the Main Street bridge and watched a mink run the bank on the other side of the river.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil:

It's rare that you see them during the day. I'll give the odds that another mink is in the area at 99%. I've been fishing on the St. Joe at the Main Street bridge and watched a mink run the bank on the other side of the river.

I've set conibers in muskrat holes with not even a muskrat captured in that back area. I've got a live trap. If I put some fish in it will I be able to capture another one? Maybe disguise it a little? I know I'll probably capture at least one cat that way though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd use the live trap, camo it so it looks like a hollow "something", but leave both ends open so they can see thru. Fish might work, or a live mouse in a smaller cage. Have you looked at any of the trapping supply houses for "mink lure"?
Mink lure #1 and mink lure #2

In your area, there should be some local store that has it. I'll bring a copy of fur-Fish-Game magazine when I drop off the smallie - good reference material for trapping supplies.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott,

I set up the live trap today and did what you said. Set it up agains the inside of the privacy fence close to where the last mink came out of. I just hope it's sensitive enough as it's the size that one uses for coons and feral cats. I found a dead trout at the pond today and put it in the back of the trap. Will a mink go for a trout that is getting putrid? I know cats will and I can bet anything I get a cat before I get a mink. \:\/

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Mink like fresh food, they aren't scavengers unless it's a really lean time of the year. As long as they aren't black and white striped kitties you'll do just fine! Mink are pretty light, I don't know if they'll trip the trap or not. do you have any 110's? If so, and the opening in the fence will allow it, use it. Spread the trigger pretty wide apart and use a thin piece of wire and tie it horizontally between the the two trigger wires. That'll stop them from squeezing between the trigger wires.

Last edited by esshup; 05/06/09 09:27 PM. Reason: added info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil:

Mink like fresh food, they aren't scavengers unless it's a really lean time of the year. As long as they aren't black and white striped kitties you'll do just fine! Mink are pretty light, I don't know if they'll trip the trap or not. do you have any 110's? If so, and the opening in the fence will allow it, use it. Spread the trigger pretty wide apart and use a thin piece of wire and tie it horizontally between the the two trigger wires. That'll stop them from squeezing between the trigger wires.

The trout in the live trap got pretty ripe (the dog really liked the smell) and I found a possum in the trap Sunday morning. Nothing left of the disgusting trout and he crawled away after I released him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB