Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
A little off the topic, but do you guys worry about ticks? When late spring comes around my land is covered with wood ticks. They are so bad I tend not to visit my property when ticks come out at their peak. Even though I have yet to build a pond, this certainly would stop me from fishing at certain times of the year when I do dig one. Alabama is fortunate not have deer ticks but there have been a few cases of Lyme disease here and there. I am curious if this has worried anyone else, especially those who live in states with high cases of Lyme disease. Do you guys do anything to keep the ticks down around your pond?

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I use spray repellent on me. I don't think there is anything you can do to keep them away from an area, and it would affect a lot more than the ticks.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I usually use a repellant but not always. I do not even attempt to keep the ticks down around the pond or on my property. I'm not even sure that would be practical or effective

Last fall I found a deer tick that latched on near my armpit. Man those things are tiny. I went to the doctor in a panic fearing Lyme disease. He said he sees loads of cases and just prescribed an antibiotic. He said testing for Lyme is not even worth it since treating for it is so easy an immediate - no waiting for test results.

B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
RobA, I found a tick latched on to me, my wife, and both of my sons last year. None of us took antibiotics as they were only the big wood ticks and the fact that Lyme disease is not so prevalent here. We do occassionally get cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever here.

If you don't mind me asking, how long was your antibiotic treatment?

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Do you guys worry about ticks?

No. Usually only have to take 3-4 off myself per day in season. The ones that really bother me are the ones that wake me up at night crawling across an ear.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: boomer2
Do you guys do anything to keep the ticks down around your pond?

We usually have free-range poultry. I didn't have a single tick last season, and I attribute it to our 10 chickens. Sometimes the chickens can be pests, as they follow me around whenever I'm outside -- including when I'm fishing. But, if I make a trip around the pond with a fishing rod, they make the trip around the pond too, scratching and snacking the entire time. Ducks do a pretty good job too, I just don't have any right now.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
We have both types of ticks and see both RMSF and Lyme each year. I usually just use a spray repellent when I am fishing. If I am going to be doing a lot of work in the brush I treat a old pair of cammies laying around with Permanone. You treat the cloths (do NOT use on your body) and let them dry. It will last through several washes. We used it in the military religously and now you can buy it over the counter. When I bought my place it had been empty for over a year. I couldn't even sit on my porch without picking off ticks. Keeping the grass cut down and treating around my pond wit Diazonon pellets the first year really helped knock down the population. I no longer treat around the ground anymore (can get expensive) as its not really needed any longer as long as I keep the brush pushed back and trimmed. As mentioned above, Chickens, ducks, and guinea hens will all gobble up ticks like crazy.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I HATE HATE HATE TICKS. Nothing makes me squirm more than a dang tick. The best repellent I have found is sulphur. You can take an old sock and put some in it and dust your pant legs and around your waste. The local pharamcy even sells soap made out of sulphur. Doesn't smell that bad but sure does work. Chickens and Guinea's are great for tick control. Around the house I spray my yard and pasture with a tick/flea spray with my four wheeler sprayer. I don't see any reason you could spray around your ponds.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm itching and scratching here.

K
keg Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
I'm an avid hiker in NY and NJ. There are Lyme warning signs everywhere, which are largely ignored. State parks around here tend to get a lot of use and many are lousy with deer, too.

If the warnings were accurate, shouldn't there be many thousands of cases every year? Not to say Lyme isn't serious - I know of one debilitated person who attributes it to Lyme - but the risk seems to be exaggerated, IMHO.

I use bug repellent and try to shower and check for ticks after spending time in the woods. Knock wood.

lurker / pond dreamer
Lunker
Lunker

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: keg
If the warnings were accurate, shouldn't there be many thousands of cases every year? Not to say Lyme isn't serious - I know of one debilitated person who attributes it to Lyme - but the risk seems to be exaggerated, IMHO.

CDC report by state

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
WOW. Those in the NE need to be careful.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: boomer2
If you don't mind me asking, how long was your antibiotic treatment?

I think it was 10 days. I believe if you start antibiotics early it's easy to cure Lyme disease. Our neighbor's daughter had it a few years ago and didn't know it for a while. She wound up on intravenous antibiotics.

We have loads of wood ticks too. The dog always gets them but they are huge compared to deer ticks.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Boomer2 -

Ticks are certainly a problem in our area. Within the past 5 years, I've managed to get Lyme disease three times. Ticks are equally present in the wooded areas as well as the clearings....yards, etc. Unlike Catmandoo, my roaming chickens do not appear to be a deterrent. Full body searches are routine after a day in the woods.
The other day my sister pulled 9 off of her yellow lab after a romp in the woods. Ticks bite...and suck.

Russ

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
we have a problem with ticks here in southwestern Wisconsin. Naturally we wear very light colored clothing. The sprays I use don't seem to deter the wood ticks and normally have several on me each time i go out. One time after leaving the cabin drove two hours stopped at a McDonalds and the guy in line behind me taps my shoulder and says "hey you got a tick crawling around on your neck"
Must have picked it up while walking to the car and it was crawling around on me while I drove. Worst is picking them off your buttocks while showering...not as limber anymore.
Thankfully have not had an experience with a deer tick. Cedar chips might help around the house.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ticks and lyme's disease are very bad in northern VA. So many deer... Knock the deer herd down and you certainly help keep the tick numbers down as well. Ticks, particularly deer ticks seem really bad this year! I usually use a spray and tuck my pants into my socks. Seems to help some but I have still picked a lot of ticks off of me. My dog gets a ton of ticks on here if she isn't treated with a anti tick and flea treatment. I think catmandoo's chicken method is a winner... My friend lives out in the country and has chickens and guinea fowl. The guinea fowl in particular are bug eating machines. Never found a tick on me when walking around the area the guinea fowl roam. Plus I think guinea fowl are really neat birds. The guard dog of the bird family!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i is a lyme disease survivor.

on a back east visit about 8 or 9 yrs ago, i was pruning a shrub for my FIL in westchester county NY (not too far from Lyme Connecticut). the next morning i felt the little bugger on the back of my right arm up by my armpit. i scratched him off in the shower, he was only the size of a pinhead.

well since both my wife's parents had lyme disease multiple times, they told me exactly what to do. we were going back to CA in a day or two, they said wait about a week, unless the rash showed up sooner.......and go get on a 2 week antibiotic treatment.

back in CA on a normal work schedule, after about a week, a near perfect bullseye rash shows up on the right side of my chest and i start to feel like crap (flu-like). i go into the local clinic and tell em i have lyme's disease. the doc says "yeah right, everybody gets on the internet and diagnoses themselves....whatever, o.k., what you got?" so i lift up my shirt, his jaw drops, he says "holy crap, i need to get my camera"....... my pic still probably adorns the front entry of his clinic.

i took the pills for 2 weeks, and i hope it got it all....i think i seem to maybe appear o.k. to this day......

GSF are people too!

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I don't think hearing "holy crap lemme get my camera" from a doctor is ever a good thing \:\)

Words have the power to both destroy and heal, when words are both true and kind they can change our world...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
you've never seen DIED

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: maashkinoozhe
I don't think hearing "holy crap lemme get my camera" from a doctor is ever a good thing \:\)

I would have gotten a very sick feeling to my stomach! I know several people here in Virginia and in Pennsylvania who have or have had Lyme's Disease.

DIED, glad to hear all seems to be good now...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree with Sulpher and Guinea's. Our neighbors also claim Guinea's keep the rattlesnakes away as they live a few hundred yards from multiple dens.

Get out and fish.
B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Russ
Ticks are certainly a problem in our area. Within the past 5 years, I've managed to get Lyme disease three times. Russ

I don't know about anyone else, but after getting lyme disease 3 times at one location, I would pack up and move.

Lyme Disease Misdiagnosed

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Getting tick(ed)off hint!

If a tick is attached to you, put dishwater soap on a paper towel and hold it on the tick. The tick will release within a minute and normally attaches itself to the paper towel.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I found heating tweezers with a lighter will immediately cause the tick to back out of the skin. The CDC also recommends that one places the tick in a ziplock bag and freeze it incase one needs to test it for lyme disease at a later date.

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?