Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb, Bobbss), 1,038 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133622 09/26/08 10:39 AM
H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Hi all,

Part 1 (Wants and Wishes) is at

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103589#Post103589

I am now officially moved back to Prince Edward Island, Canada. My new house is well underway and I am now getting serious about the pond.

The good news is that I do not need permits for most items, as I am not tapping an existing waterway and not disturbing wetlands, and not building a large dam. But here is where the story got interesting.

When I was talking to the local Forestry agent, as they control the permitting, he made the comments... "everything looks fine, you can build the pond.... <insert long pause for drama> with the number of ponds going anarobic there is no way you are going to get a permit to stock fish". With this new found challenge, off I went to find someone to answer this question for me.

Holy bureaucracy, Batman.

There are permits to buy/stock fish, and then additional permits to fish your own fish. It may not be as impossible as the Forestry agent led me to believe, but it will be some work.

Here is the response from Fish and Wildlife.

1) Pond Construction
If a landowner wishes to construct a fishing pond on their property, there are a number of things to consider. If the pond is being constructed on a watercourse or within 10 metres from a watercourse, he will need a watercourse alteration permit.
http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=20117&lang=E

If the construction involves creating a dam, this would definitely require an application for Watercourse Alteration Permit (368-4684) and there are many things to consider when going this route. New dam construction is generally discouraged on PEI because we have so many existing ponds and dams bring with them a whole other suite of difficulties - fish passage considerations, impact on water quality, etc. We currently have, nearly completed, a document intended to be a guideline for the management of impoundments on PEI which outlines a number of things to be considered when planning a new impoundment (dam).

It is best to check with gov't to make sure that the area isn't classified as "wetland", as some locations may not appear to be but are considered such because of soil type/vegetation etc. One would not be allowed to disturb a wetland, as it would contravene the wetland policy and compensation would have to be provided.
http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=1003159&lang=E

If there are no watercourse or wetland issues, there shouldn't be any permitting requirements from the Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry. I can't speak for other departments (e.g. Community and CUltural Affairs) and their permitting requirements.

2) Stocking Fish
Regardless of how a pond is created, one requires a permit from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Introductions and Transfers Committee in order to stock fish. Our Division also requires these permits to stock fish into ponds and rivers on PEI. The application form is attached.

We only have two native species of freshwater sport fish on PEI - Brook trout and Atlantic salmon and it is unlikely that one could raise salmon in a constructed pond. Rainbow trout are better suited to a pond situation but it is more difficult getting a permit to keep them as they are not considered a native species. Regardless, all salmonids require cool, well oxygenated water which is difficult to provide in a constructed pond with no inflowing water. Brook trout, for example do best at 13-18C and while rainbows can tolerate slightly warmer temperatures, they would not like living at temperatures in the mid to high 20s, which can easily happen in a small, man-made pond. One would want to make sure, before investing a lot of money in a pond, that they would end up with the water quality needed to successfully raise fish.

3) Maintaining a Private Fishing Pond
Once approval is granted to stock fish, one requires a "Private Fishing Preserve" permit which is available from the Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry's Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division at Upton Road (368-4683). This costs $25 and it must be renewed annually. The application is attached.

If there are any other questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

Hopefully this is helpful for any Canucks looking at getting into a private fishing pond.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
And I thought there was excessive red tape in the U.S.! $25 per year to catch my own fish would really gripe me. I would think that stocking the fish would be automatic if you got the permit to build the pond... They benefit its whole eco system. What good is a dead pond? Of course in the U.S., if you build it they will come. Especially the GSF! Just ask JHAP.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow and I thought California regulations were excessive. I'm with Blaine $25.00 to fish my own pond would chafe my hiney.

If you are very luck, dare I say blessed, GSF will grace you with their presence in your pond.

So did you decide to go through the red tape and stock your pond?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM