Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,952
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (LeighAnn, Bobbss, Jambi, catscratch, jludwig, John Folchetti, shores41, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, phinfan, Zep), 1,132 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I need some help to identify some fish I seen in the pond the other day. They are about 3-4" long and slender, they are very dark in color (as opposed to green sunfish), they travel the banks in a school of about 50 or so, are very fast, and when they attack the pellets they seem to do it very aggressively in swarms. I'm thinking that they are either golden shiner minnows or smallmouth fingerlings. Unfortunately, I have not been able to net any, due to their quickness and the fact that they stay out about 5' from the bank. The smallies were stocked on May 26, 2008, so I am not sure if I was able to get a spawn this year or not. Can anyone help me id these fish?

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A picture might be useful.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I don't think I would be able to get a good shot of them, Bruce. I have a very difficult time just picking them out with my eyes (with and without polarized sunglasses). I have been noticing them during feeding time the last couple times out, but they are hard to see. I think it may have to do with the fact that my pond bottom is near black in color (although my water is pretty clear with 2-3' visibility). I only can see them for a second when they swim over a spawning bed, which is much lighter in color, but they swim very fast. I was kind of hoping someone could be able to identify them by their behavioral characteristics.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can you trap any? There are inexpensive traps at places like Bass Pro Shops. I'm excited to get a look at them, but I wouldn't hazard a guess with the available information.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
gotsta have a pic

GSF are people too!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
bbjr,
What size were the SMB you stocked in May? I would think late May of this yr would be unlikley for them to pull off a spawn but under the right circumstances who knows.

My yoy SMB fingerlings are 4" & sport an easy to spot black tipped tail.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It is very likely they are shiners and not SMB if those are my two choices. SMB fingerlings at 3"-4" will not swim in schools like you describe and will not behavorily eat pellets like youe describe. As Ric mentions, if you don't see the dark prominent vertical band on the tail ("black tipped tail) of these 3"-4" fish then they are not bass.
If you want to catch one for a close look or photo, without a net or trap then get a No 12 or 14 "fly" hook, thread on a small piece of worm and fling it without a weight into the school of moving fish as they eat pellets. You will catch one. If you don't have hook this small I'm sure several guys here can send you one first class and you will have it in 2-3 days. I have hooks down to size 22.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/03/08 09:01 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Bruce,
I took your advice and bought a trap today at Walmart (I also bought a casting net). I followed a procedure I found on the forum for baiting, which consisted of putting pellets in panty hose and tying it to the inside of the trap. Unfortunately, I got there after the feeder went off, so I missed the prime time and didn't see the school, but I did manage to catch (5) GSF between 2-3". The casting net was interesting. I learned never to wear a white shirt while cast netting. Anyways, my first few attempts were pretty ridiculous, but I managed to get the hang of it after that. I think I scared all the fish away after the first couple attempts, because I only brought in a total of (6) 3-4" GSF. Hopefully, I can get out there tomorrow before the feeder goes off and will have a good shot at the school.

DIED,
I will hopefully have one soon. I will post a pic if I manage to catch one.

Ric,
I stocked (10) 5-7", and (5) 3-5".

Eric,
Thanks for the pic.

Bill,
Thanks for the idea to catch them with hook and line. I will try that if I can't catch one with the trap or the net.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've caught 4" shiners with hook and line and 3.5"-4" SMB will be easier to catch with hook and line than shiners.

If you got the minnow trap with the black rubber coating at Wal-Mart, I have not had good luck at efficiently catching small fish with that style of trap. It works but not as well are the bare wire models that are painted a drab color.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/03/08 10:04 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
Bruce,
I took your advice and bought a trap today at Walmart (I also bought a casting net). I followed a procedure I found on the forum for baiting, which consisted of putting pellets in panty hose and tying it to the inside of the trap. Unfortunately, I got there after the feeder went off, so I missed the prime time and didn't see the school, but I did manage to catch (5) GSF between 2-3". The casting net was interesting. I learned never to wear a white shirt while cast netting. Anyways, my first few attempts were pretty ridiculous, but I managed to get the hang of it after that. I think I scared all the fish away after the first couple attempts, because I only brought in a total of (6) 3-4" GSF. Hopefully, I can get out there tomorrow before the feeder goes off and will have a good shot at the school.

This is absolutely hilarious to me. You are becoming just like me and many others. This is the essence of Pond Bossing. You start doing crazy stuff like this--and it's fun!!! \:\) \:\)

B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

This is absolutely hilarious to me. You are becoming just like me and many others. This is the essence of Pond Bossing. You start doing crazy stuff like this--and it's fun!!! \:\) \:\)

It's so true, Bruce. I sat there today throwing the cast net, with muck landing all over me and part of the algea crusted net between my teeth (a trick I learned from some youtube vids posted on the forum by Chris Steelman), and having a good time.

I'm starting to wonder if the fingerlings I seen are just a school of green sunfish, because that was all I caught again today with the trap and the net, although, I never seen the actual school today. The thing that gets me though, is that when the school has swam by and one of the fish turns on it's side, I would not see any flash like I normally do with the green sunfish. I also don't see any yellow tips on the pectoral fins.

Also, for those that use bait traps... How long do you normally leave the trap out for?

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM