Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 495 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123005 06/25/08 09:24 AM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
This is a 20+ inch LMB in about 6 feet of water next to our dock. The photo was taken at dusk. It seems like this particular fish has no fear of me. Even as I kneeled down on the dock to take the photo it did not swim away. Maybe it is getting used to seeing me by the water!

When you guys get tired of my fish photos, let me know and I will stop posting them. \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Never...I love pics!

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Awesome pic Dwight. Keep them coming.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
More pictures! Show us a picture of you holding the fish after you caught it. How much do you think this fish weighs?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
yeah, that's a great picture. In fact it has inspired me to start my own pond photo album.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
How much do you think this fish weighs?

The last 20.5" LMB I caught out of the Pond was 5.5 pounds, last fall. I am guessing this one would be in the 5 to 6 pound range as well.

The Minnesota LMB State Record LMB is 8 pounds 15 ounces. My goal is to surpass that without supplemental feeding. I think a 10 pound fish is possible in our pond because of the abundance of forage fish. Also, since we are located in the southwest part of Minnesota we should have the warmest water and longest growing season in the state.

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If you can provide a length and girth I (or you) can guess based on the avg of these 2 formulas :

L X L X G / 1000

L X G X G / 800

See this thread
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...=true#Post24157

Great pic - tell us about the camera/equipment

Last edited by ewest; 06/25/08 09:12 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I cant even imagine being able to see six feet into the water. One foot is the max in my pond. Cool pic

ewest #123102 06/25/08 10:07 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
ewest,

I couldn't physically measure, so I used the dock cross members to estimate the length when the LMB was parallel to the dock and empirical data from a similiar length Bremer Pond fish for the weight estimate.

The camera is a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. Nothing professional, but a very nice unit.

Bremer Pond Weather
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
another way to estimate is if 100% releative weight (I can tell by looking if close to that) which menas it looks healthy would be 4.5 lbs. Your 20.5" 5.5 lb bass is pretty healthy at 110% Wr

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
catch a few small bluegill, bite off their tails, and i bet you could start handfeeding that fish. Some of the best fish in our lakes live by the docks and get handfed. (bluegills wouldnt be considered supplemental feeding in your situation? would they?)

n8ly #123114 06/26/08 07:16 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
catch a few small bluegill, bite off their tails, and i bet you could start handfeeding that fish. Some of the best fish in our lakes live by the docks and get handfed. (bluegills wouldnt be considered supplemental feeding in your situation? would they?)

I agree that this wouldn't be supplemetal feeding. Just another form of forage management.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice green carp Dwight! Seriously nice bass.

Not to hijack the thread but did I tell anyone a biologist contacted me a couple of months ago and wanted to know if he could use a pic of my big perch as a "typical perch from Indiana." This is the same perch they disqualified for a state record because it was on a "feeding program" and therefore not typical. LMAO

When you brought up supplemental feeding this came to mind.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/26/08 12:45 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I am considering a hand feeding trial, though I worry some about it. It might be sort of hard to set the hook on a pet fish. \:\(

Cecil, "Green Carp" reminded me that my brother and I call Walleye "Spiney Carp", much to the chagrin of the fishers of the Minnesota State Fish!

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dwight...

You could always get a couple of feeder goldfish from a local pet store for around 17 cents a piece if you want to give it a try. Even if your new friend isn't interested, a bright gold slow moving target will feed something.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
I am considering a hand feeding trial, though I worry some about it. It might be sort of hard to set the hook on a pet fish. \:\(

Cecil, "Green Carp" reminded me that my brother and I call Walleye "Spiney Carp", much to the chagrin of the fishers of the Minnesota State Fish!

Yeah I hear the walleye is THE FISH in Minnesota.

Speaking of carp I'm going to make a trip over to a local lake sometime this summer and keep the biggest one I can catch. I want one for the studio and believe it or not a 30 or 40 pounds specimen is pretty impressive on the wall. Neat gold colors and scale tipping etc. too.

I'll used crushed Wheaties cereal mixed with water and vanilla extra to produce dough balls. The carp really home in on it. Apparently they have quite a sense of smell and a sweet tooth so to speak.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/27/08 08:33 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Cecil...

I used that exact concoction up at my grandparents lake house when I was a kid. They lived on Lake Barbee up by North Webster. I could usually haul in at least one carp a day. We would net them and then release them after the hook was pulled out. It was pretty exciting for a 6-14 year old kid. Fond memories...

- Ancient Viking Proverb

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Carp really like canned corn too.

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
That is what we used to "chum" for them. My grandpa would toss some corn out on the bottom of the lake up to about a hundred feet out from the pier for a couple of weeks before I got there. They has a 1000 acre farm they inherited, so field corn was always available.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Definitely dont put goldfish into your lake! I have seen some serious problems with those colorful carp.

Handfeeding that fish has nothing to do with catching her?? you will have so much fun feeding your fish small bluegills, you wont even want to fish there.

We have a dock on our lake called the VIP dock. Absolutely nobody is allowed to fish there under any circumstances, unless you are a VIP. A few lucky VIP's this year were some first time fisherwomen and an outdoor sportswriter who wrote a very nice article about the fishery, but anyways that dock is home to the very biggest and best fish of the entire lake. We have traps to catch the minnows and small fish, and cages to hold them, and everytime someoene goes down to that dock, they toss in handfuls of fish to the big ole fat LMB, SMB, HSB, YP, BC, and even Walleye will come eat out of your hand.
Every single time we go to the lake, the first place we head to is the VIP dock and the fish are very glad to see us!

Canned corn has worked best for me on Carp this year, followed by a whole nightcrawler injected with air, and then dough baits.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ezylman
Cecil...

I used that exact concoction up at my grandparents lake house when I was a kid. They lived on Lake Barbee up by North Webster. I could usually haul in at least one carp a day. We would net them and then release them after the hook was pulled out. It was pretty exciting for a 6-14 year old kid. Fond memories...

I know the lake chain well. It's about 25 minutes from me. Now the lake chain is known for musky.

Yep all the lakes around here have carp in them and some really big ones.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Matt Clark
Never...I love pics!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM