Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 536 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LRunkle Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
They are such wimps, slow and easy to catch for predators. They must be able to thrive and reproduce in nature somewhere. Has to be somewhere with extensive shallow water like marshes. So where are they natives?
While I am at it, my wife and I enjoyed the conference tremendously. My biggest disapointment was that Meadowlark, DIED, and Jeffhasapond and some others were not there for me to meet face to face. But there are always future conferences.

Layton Runkle
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Doc R here is the Fish Base link to FH occurrences. Note that there are 2700+ reported natural occurrences in a number of countries. Second link is to basic FH info.

http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/museum/OccurrencesList.php?genus=Pimephales&species=promelas

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4785

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by LRunkle:
While I am at it, my wife and I enjoyed the conference tremendously. My biggest disapointment was that Meadowlark, DIED, and Jeffhasapond and some others were not there for me to meet face to face. But there are always future conferences.
Wow, I didn't think anyone would care whether or not this old numbers jockey would show up! Thanks for the mention, I'm honored. I would have loved to have been able to make it to the PB convention unfortunately IT WAS DURING TAX SEASON!!!! I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope that the one for next year would either be in early February (although the weather during February probably isn't great) or after April 15th. If it is I would go in a heartbeat.

And DIED by the way is a great guy, kinda guy that would give you the shirt off his back (or the gams from his pond in my case). I'm hoping I could drag him to a future convention also.

So if the powers that be make the next convention in a month other that March or April then jeffhasapond would be there with bells on (and by reading my posts you know that I may literally be there with bells on), but what the heck does that expression mean anyway and how did it end up in this sentence, who is controlling this keyboard, is Elvis really dead.... inquiring minds want to know.

So to the powers that be please, please, grovel, please, please, grovel, please, grovel, grovel, schedule the convention in a month other than March or April, grovel, please with sugar on top.

Once again LRunkle thanks for the mention.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dr. R: the lowly, vulnerable fathead minnow has a few tricks up its sleeve, just as Mother Nature usually does. Probably the most impressive tidbit about fathead minnows is that they can probably tolerate the lowest dissolved oxygen in water compared to any other freshwater fish we commonly discuss. The D.O. can almost be too low to measure, and they are doing just fine. Thus, they can survive in marginal waters that will not support other fishes, and always have a "refuge." In the northern great plains, they persist in wetlands with no other fish. During high water times, they various wetlands connect to lakes, providing a supply of fatheads to the lakes.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
L
LRunkle Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Aha, Dr. Willis, I suspected something like that.
There are so many ways to survive predation. Thanks for your response.

Layton Runkle

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem