Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (catscratch, TLL, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,090 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I’m planning to buy a fishing outfit for my girlfriend for Christmas – possibly spending somewhere in the $250 to $300 range. She is somewhat petite with small hands and a wrist injury from skiing so I want to keep it fairly light. Most of the fish she’d catch would be bluegill and largemouth bass up to 6 pounds max.

She prefers spinning reels with the trigger that automatically opens the bail. What is the best spinning reel with a trigger?

The rod needs to be a multi-piece model (two or more pieces) that takes down so can store / transport easily in a car. One that would take down to less than two feet would probably be best. I know longer rods can cast lighter lures (bluegill jigs) further and help cushion larger fish’s runs. Light weight is a definite asset as mentioned above. She’d be casting instead of trolling or jigging. What rod would you recommend?

She’ll mainly be fishing for bluegill, redear, and largemouth bass. She probably doesn’t need a lot of lures as will be with me most of the time; but should have a good variety. What specific lures would you recommend?

We may be walking around the ponds / lakes as we fish. She probably wouldn’t switch lures often at all. The type of tackle box I’m envisioning would have a strap that goes around the neck and shoulder, contoured to body somewhat, and not be burdensome or awkward to carry. The not burdensome or awkward is a big factor. I’m basically seeking something that goes almost unnoticed until you decide to switch lures. What lure containment system would you recommend?

She’s also asked me about how to cook different fish. We may do some camping and traveling too. What fish recipe / cooking books would you recommend?

Also, any good fishing tackle / forum websites where I might find information?

Thanks!

Jeff

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Jeff, I prefer a 6' St. Croix Light Action Rod that breaks down into two pieces only.

As far as spinning reels, I think Quantum is one of the only ones that still make trigger-release bales. I like the trigger release functions, and while it's a sin, I also like rear drag.

For holding my assortment of tackle, I prefer to store everything in a short Cabela's fishing vest. I have a few small plastic boxes for some lures that I store in the big back pocket. I keep a seperate Filson vest for all of my fly fishing stuff.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Jeff, she'll never know the difference so get two for the price of one.

In other words, buy a small inexpensive spinning reel and rod. You can get a darn nice outfit for $100, maybe half of that. Then spend your real money on a nice baitcasting outfit for her. You could get a sweet set up for $200(pro quality-a pro could do well with it)........ pretty easy. The spinning reel would be for panfish but handle most anything, and the baitcaster is the preferred bass reel and would work great on catfish and or HSB. Think of it like this, spinning reels are finese, and baitcast reels are brute force used for cranking leverage big fish. They make handling big fish and big lures easier, for the most part.

Shimano makes the good stuff when it comes to reels. Diawa is not bad either. Abu makes great baitcasters, but they are a bit bulky in most models, and likely wouldn't suit her.

There are many great rodmakers. Falcoln, St. Croix, Loomis, All Star, Kistler(very light), to name a few.

Good luck.

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
Jeff, I prefer a 6' St. Croix Light Action Rod that breaks down into two pieces only.

As far as spinning reels, I think Quantum is one of the only ones that still make trigger-release bales. I like the trigger release functions, and while it's a sin, I also like rear drag.

For holding my assortment of tackle, I prefer to store everything in a short Cabela's fishing vest. I have a few small plastic boxes for some lures that I store in the big back pocket. I keep a seperate Filson vest for all of my fly fishing stuff.
Sunil, I also like the rear drag and trigger. Shimano has models with both, but no trigger on the larger reels.
Beetle spins and Mr. Twisters will catch most anything in a pond, and are easy to cast. you can get an ultralite and medium action spinning combos for $100 for both. Shimano medium action and small Shakespeare synergy ultralite are good choices. My granddaughter has good luck with a shakespeare Cirrus UL combo from walwart. The rod is somewhat stiffer than most UL rods.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rangersedge:
I’m planning to buy a fishing outfit for my girlfriend for Christmas – .........
i was just doing this the other night for my wife......here's a link to the combo i bought her:

cabelas_shimano trigger spin set up

for walking shoreline and fishing i like just a simple cheap fanny pack with one or two small plano boxes full of jigs, small lures etc., needle nose pliers....most important thing is good waterproof boots for yer gal.....my wife likes the LLBean duckboots....merry christmas \:\)

GSF are people too!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I traveled from Illinois to Oklahoma over the weekend to check out some cattle. Bass Pro Shops in Springfield MO was right on the path so had to stop in. I didn’t have much time to spend so probably did more by impulse than should have… Oh well. This is what I got.

Got a light action for my girlfriend and a medium light for me.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52902&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Got this 3 wt and matching reel for me. \:\)
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.T...arTarget=browse

She wanted me to get a combo for her friends so I got a couple these (her friends travel) at $10 each more than what they are on the website. \:\(
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74068&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Went with travel rods as her friends also travel quite a bit and need something that breaks down small. Went with a little cheaper outfits as unsure how much her friends will use them. I really, really wished I had gotten these for her friends instead as they are 4 piece (breakdown shorter) and appear to be better rods for same price as I paid. \:\( (
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...+rods&noImage=0

I’m not sure how these compare to the Brownings I got for her and I.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...+rods&noImage=0

Went with Shimano Spirex 1000 (for her) and Solstace 1000 (for her friends) reels. I have one that she likes and it has been a very good reel for me. \:\) I too like the rear drag model that I have, but went with front drag models thinking more compact and possibly lighter (didn't check specs - was in a hurry).
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...reels&noImage=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...reels&noImage=0

I got small tackle packs for both her and her friends. I have a lot of lures so just going to sort through some of those to fill them.

I was amazed at how dry it was in OK. There were numerous ponds that either were dry or almost dry. The Cimarron river ? looked like you could walk across with knee boots near the ranch we visited. It looked like you could even walk across some big river east of Tulsa. That part of OK (Kingfisher - north of OK city) is pretty darn dry.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Rangersedge, you done good. I especially like the Brownings that break down with the travel tube. Good price.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Just an update since we're like a family on here...

My girlfriend and I got engaged last Saturday night. Girls who like to fish are just too good to let slip by. \:\)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
amen brother

edited post........i forgot to mention funny little story about the cabelas rig i ordered (referenced above).....they sent me the reel, but sent the wrong rod.....they sent me a $150 St. Croix fly rod, i ordered a $39 ultralight as part of the combo. so being the honest fellow that i am \:\) i shipped back the fly rod, asked for the correct rod, and asked they credit me the shipping charges i incurred ($35 !!). to cabela's credit and great customer service, they sent me the correct rod and another spirex reel.....which is a really nice reel valued at ~$69. most of my stuff is old and well used, so to have a couple of those nice reels now is awesome, and they'll continue to get my business.

GSF are people too!

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Congradulations Rangersedge and you are so right about the girls who fish.
D.I.E.D. I ordered a rod tube, while in the US, it arrived the day I was leaving, broken, the broken part was inside so I am sure it happened prior to shipping. I packed my rods, taped the case and left for Thailand. Upon arrival I emailed them and they sent me a new case, no questions. I think I may have some insight into why you PB is late, I ordered a rod from Cabelas that broken down was 4.5' and shipping to here was $35.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rad:
...........I think I may have some insight into why you PB is late, I ordered a rod from Cabelas that broken down was 4.5' and shipping to here was $35.
:D .....aint that amazing...its kinda like i can fly direct from Sac CA to Baltimore MD on SW for $299, but it costs me $400 to go direct from Sac CA to Denver CO on United.

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rangersedge:
Just an update since we're like a family on here...

My girlfriend and I got engaged last Saturday night. Girls who like to fish are just too good to let slip by. \:\)
Congratulations, Ranger - right you are. \:\)

My wife always outfished me until I got my own pond \:\( ; fishing is one more sport with a home court advantage.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump