Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (WallyB, Bigtrh24, Mainer, TonyinKY, Bill Cody, Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton), 1,076 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Eric Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I just thought I would pass along an interesting start to my day. As many of you know I have one of the smaller ponds out here ( between 1/10th and 1/4 acre pond ).

I go up at 5 am and looked out the window to see two mallards fighting in the pond over a female. As soon as they calmed down and the one male moved off a bit, a female hooded merganzer shows up and hooks up with the pair of mallards, sort of like a very odd threesome. They swam around for a bit and then the Blue Heron shows up and starts fishing a few feet away from them.

Now I have the mallards on the floating Island, the hooded diving and eating god knows what, the frogs hiding from the heron who is after all of them and then a pair for Kingfishers show up darting back and forth and back and forth grabbing bugs and minnows from the surface.

I though man that little pond is soooo full is there any room for the fish? Thats when the Canada Geese ( 2 pairs show up ) Land on the pond and nearly run over everything in their way. They get out and start walking the shore and doing what they do best eating and dumping.

Just then my two pair of wood ducks land on the tree above the pond and look down as if to say, who did't invite us to the party. About a minute later they drop down into the water and do what they do best which is trolling the shore and weeds.

Now I have more birds in and around the pond than I have fish in the pond. they are bumping into each other left and right. I was having a good chuckle when off from the outlet of the pond comes a pair of coyote who decided to drop in on the gathering.

Within 2 seconds all the birds fly off with such a whoosh that I had whitecaps on the pond for all of the movement. Because of the massive take off ( NYC or Atlanta airfields don't have that much traffic at one point ) The coyotes hightail it off like something stung them in the butts.

As the dust and the feather clear the only thing left was the two mallards who then decided to come off the floating island and come up to my back steps and walk up to the garage and try to get into my bag of fish chow.

Thus was the first half hour of my day!!

I am used to all of the varieties coming to the pond but never all at once. I have about 14 ponds within 4 miles of my house and Lake Ontario just about 300 yards from my house. I am still trying to figure out what drew everyone to my place this am. Do Birds have "RAVE" parties that we dont know of??? \:D

Who knows but made for an interesting start to the day.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Eric,
Many thanks for the uplifting report. My wife and I live for the day that we can enjoy the same wildlife diversity on our little pc of nature. It's not about the fish, it's not about the pond. It's about the opportunity to commune with the best that God has to offer, be so close as to be able to touch it, and know we had a hand in reversing man's hunger to consume these prized natural resources.
Feel free to update this thread as often as possible. It's motivational value is incalcuable.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Eric,

Great post. I really enjoyed it! One post like that makes up for a lot. You are so right about looking at the total picture rather than just the fish. Thanks for a great post.

E
Eric Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
My pleasure!! It was just the craziest start to the day!! I am still shaking my head wondering what they were all doing there at the same time!

1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Eric, I agree with Brettski, it is the opportunity to commune with the best that God has to offer. It is the whole experience that counts.

Norm Kopecky
E
Eric Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I whole heartedly agree. Just so strange today!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM