Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I have been asked to start a new thread so it may be more visable. The Alumni from the Atwood Hammond high school in Atwood Illinois where I graduated wanted to help those affected by the hurricane. They wanted their funds to go to individuals instead of corporations that have high overheads. They asked me to distribute the donations and I agreed to do this with no administrative fees taken out. This money will not go to my family or friends. Two people will make all decisions and co sign the checks. A local accountant has agreed to donate her time to check the books monthly. weatherholtp@direcway.com
Send checks ppayable to Paul Weatherholt
1111 Highway 29
Wiggins Mississippi 39577
Atwood Hammond HS Disaster Fund
Pond Boss will be recognized as a group assisting with this disaster fund, they will also be in the newspaper write ups.

paul weatherholt
D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Some of you have become involved and I say many thanks as we can make a difference. We are very strict on where this money goes and have found a few that do not tell the facts correctly. My co workers on this project have been great on picking up the signals.
Pond boss will be recognized in the future on our home calls and advertisements.

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
At this time of sorrow for Bob Lusk and family, I would also like to return to the subject of the victums of Katrina and Rita. A month after 9/11, except for a huge pile of rubble, things were pretty much back to normal in NYC. I don't think that is true in the areas hit by these hurricanes.

Could members that live close to the areas that have been destroyed care to comment on what the situation is now in these areas? What is the need, especially now that it is getting colder?

Norm Kopecky
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I know there are still many victims in Houston, Baton Rouge, Jackson from La., Ms., and Al. permanently now, and the one's in hotels/motels were going to have to leave by end of Nov. It has now been extended until either 1 or 31 of January by FEMA. Various forums, i.e., Miss. fishing forum that has updates on needs etc. Probably La. also has several. East Tx. and SW La. people were housing Kat. victims and were hit by Rita. I drive to Beaumont, Lake Charles and Port Arthur frequently to work and SW Miss. to visit and still cleanup is going on; piles of trees along side of road, patched roofs, abandoned trailers, old homes, etc. I cant get an earth mover to clean up my shallow end of pond. I spoke to the manager of the co-op in Tylertown, Ms. He said every time he is on his small tractor he gets flagged down asking to do work.
It will be years before commerce is anywhere near normal.

D
deaner Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
There are many still in tentsand they are not receiving enough help. Femadoes not move trailers fast enough and many are reported setting empty. Many people it is reported asked for trailers but are unable to get them.
I was in a meeting the other day and various ones were discussing privately their situation. I thought one older guy would break down as he discussed his situation and the insurance he said would not pay off. He said the golden years should be nice but he stated he is hurting. It is reported many of the insurance companies will not settle so the people are really caught and can not move ahead and their is bound to be many taking bankruptcy. One person called me for help as he was still making payments on his slab as there was no house and the mortgage company would not give any relief.
A funny side note, we were able to get our telephone service restored yesterday. We had been without any service since Katrina.
Clothes are not the answer as many do not hasve any place to store them and many that were passing out donated clothes had no takers so the clothes were discarded.
There is lots of people helping to clean out property and homes but that said it is just the tip of the ice berg. With cold weather we may lose some people as tents will not suffice the older people in this cold weather.
What is the answer-I am not sure but we should try to help in small ways at least. We called on a brother and sister the other day and the sister gave my wife a hug as a gesture that someone cares enough to help. We always make sure they know it is not our money and exactly which groups are helping to make this possible. We have one lady on social security that donates regularly each month.
Please remember all donated monies are passed along to the needy and there is no administrative charges. I am late with my report as the bank statement become lost and we requested another. Hope to get the accountant report by week end. The mail service here has not returned to normal but it is getting closer.

paul weatherholt
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
My wife just got back a couple of weeks ago from volunteering at a distribution center in a rural area outside of Biloxi. Obviously there are people that will get extremely rich out of this but not the working class. She was horrified by how bad so many people had it. They lost their homes and jobs and really had nothing left and no place to go. Talk about a rock and a hard place!

She came back and is collecting enough food and blankets for a semi that will go there between Christmas and New Years.

The point that she saw was that there was a huge outpouring of help initially but that the relief agencies are starting to run out of everything now. Especially this winter, huge numbers of very good people will really need our help.

Norm Kopecky

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails