Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,533 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. I have constructed a 3rd acre kidney shaped pond to a depth of 10 feet. The land was previously a farm field and it was tiled. I hit 3 four-inch perferated tile lines during construction. I dug back about 3 feet and cut the tiles on each side of the pond and packed the remaining holes with clay. After about 2 weeks the pond filled to the height of the tiles and stopped filling. After a very heavy rain, all 3 tiles blew out and were spilling into the pond. I realized that something besides packing clay into the tile holes needed to be done. So I grabbed the backhoe and went about 25 feet outside of the pond and dug down to locate the tiles. I found all 3 tiles and removed 2 feet of each tile. After a few small rains, the holes became filled with clay on thier own, and nothing comes out. They are now solid as rock. Am I correct in doing this and do I need to do the same thing on the other side of the pond? Is it probable that the water is leaking into the tiles on the other side and out into the field? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My first thought is the legal ramifications of interfering with an established field tile system. Do you own all the connected tiles?

I
OP Offline
I
Hello. Not a factor, I bought the field. the tiles all run to a drainage ditch at the rear of the property. About 2000 feet away.

P
P
I think I have the same problem hit 3 tiles while digging and did a similar repair inside the pond. But now it is leaking down and was going to dig outside. Is yours still holding water with your repair that you did?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pond Farmer, welcome to the forum! It'll be interesting to see if you get a reply. Look at the date. wink It's no big deal, I've done the same thing myself. I just wanted to point that out so you didn't think you were being ignored. That post that you answered was the last post that they made. I don't know if they are still lurking around or not.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
I had three tiles in mine. Tried to do the same thing and it didn't work. I dug up the outlet side about 20' back and connected a pvc pipe at the height I wanted the pond at and use it as an overflow. I left the inlet side alone because they wound up coming in at the water level, but now I get sedimate coming in so I may block them off.

Here is what I know about tiles from my own projects.

1, If the tiles are draining your own land, and its no longer in agriculture, that water is fine to put in your pond.

2, Even in clay a tile line will drain water from 15 feet away. 30 feet apart is the standard distance between tiles for that reason. That's why you found 3.

3, Plugging a tile will create a wet spot where the tile ends, which can be a real mess.

4, If the tile is broken anywhere above the pond it will fill your pond with sediment. Make sure you have clean clear water coming out when it rains. If the water is muddy you have a break in the tile, you need to fix the tile or add a riser where the break is. (see below)

My advice would be to let the water be tiled into the pond. Then dig the tile out back toward the drainage ditch at least 20 feet. Add a pvc riser out of the ground connected to the remaining tile going to the ditch. This will vent the tile and it will work from there to the ditch without sucking in soil. Without a vent you could end up with a sink hole.

Hey it's not all bad you wanted water didn't you?

P
P
The land is no longer farming, but I have a few neghibors. We always had a wet spot and we were hoping the pond would fix it. Thanks for the info, going to dig a little today while it is dry and see if I can figuring anything out.

L
L
We hit at least 5 old stone-lined tiles when we dug. I felt bad knowing how much manual effort must have gone into the making of these. One was plugged halfway up the hill, and we always thought it was just a spring. I now use the elevation to drive a small fountain in the pond! The water coming from these appears to be much cleaner than the runoff creek is.

There is one we missed that has great flow right at the end of our driveway. In the winter it freezes up and sends a sheet of ice right were we don't want it. I intend to cut it off and direct water into the pond instead.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
old clay tiles can be your friend...we get along well with ours

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?