Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JMAC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Looking into the product PondSeal by Aquablock to stop a small leak. Has anyone actually used this stuff?http://www.aquablokinfo.com/ is the website. I know the theories behind bentonite, and I'm hoping this stuff will work well. Seems like it would be an easy product to find & buy...

Justin McLeod
If you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning.

jmcleod@thepondguy.com
http://www.thepondguy.com

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bump to the top for ya.

Anyone, anyone?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Justin
Do not know anything about this product.

Please keep us posted with your findings.

Most of the calls that come in have to do with leaking water.

Otto

J
JMAC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I agree with the leaking water calls. I usually say.. "have it done right in the FIRST place"... Thats the best way to stop a leak. I'm supposed to speak with the product reps this week and hopefully i can get some to try out. obviously they say the best method is to put it down before the pond fills and till it in, but it's supposed to be able to function as a stand-alone patch right over sand, cracks, drains, etc...

http://www.aquablokinfo.com/images/site_docs/pond%20seal%20press%20release.pdf

that's a press release I found. Seems intriguing. Mr Otto (or any soils folks), does the theory seem sound? I am what you may consider "soil-ignorant".

Justin McLeod

jmcleod@thepondguy.com

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Will try and do some checking.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A

J
JMAC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
WOW I haven't put that much effort into a read since college!

This application was not for stopping leaks, but did test for permeability and groundwater transfer so IMO it holds some weight.

As a summary, ".gov" found that the AquaBlok was generally more stable than any other sediment cap. It was resistant to "shearing" forces and proved to be quite impennetrable over the 3 year study. Aquablock also resisted the transfer of river water through the sediment into groundwater better than the other test sites.

It doesn't sound like they got completely statistically significant results, but the Aquablock tended to be better in most categories.

That was my take on the paper, it was also a good way to see where $2,000,000 of our tax dollars went! "But you don't have to take MY word for it..."

Justin McLeod

jmcleod@thepondguy.com

E
ELK Offline
Fingerling
Fingerling
E
Hello all,

As a self-admitted "fingerling" in this discussion forum (new to it today), I'm just feeling things out. I'm starting to meet some of you by phone, but I thought it'd be good to enter these online conversations, too.

I work for AquaBlok, Ltd. in Toledo, OH and I am responsible for the PONDSEAL product line. I am an aquatic ecologist by training, but I've also been pulled into more engineering related aspects of my interest area because of my role with the company. I actually worked in a research and development capacity from 2000-2004 (interpretting and trying to bring sense to articles like the one Justin referenced in this thread). I then left for several years to start a company of my own.

I've just recently rejoined the group here to help introduce our patented delivery technology to the lake and pond management (and construction) community. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss PONDSEAL with anyone who wants to entertain a conversation.

Thanks, and I look forward to the chatter.

Eric

Eric Kraus
Technical Product & Sales Manager
AquaBlok, Ltd.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 09/14/10 03:32 PM.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
mr. lusk--- ga pond rookie here from your web site--i am looking at ways to seal my leaking pond---both safe and economical if possible---i invested 28k in a pond behind my house #1 for asthetics and #2 for possible fishing. the pond leaked and i put 6k more into scraping out 2 ft of the bottom and packing good clay +$1200 bentonite in the bottom---now dam appears to leak so am looking at anything to prevent re-coring 2/3 of the dam--at this point with 34k invested in a 2 acre pond i could nearly have lined it with concrete. any suggestions and product recommendations i would appreciate. i know all ponds leak to some extent but i have good spring flow from october thru june that is fed into pond by pipe (great volume in times of rain) --even with steady flow in the pond still goes down much faster than evaporation regardless of the regular inflow of water. now it has stabilized even though my spring just stopped. i want a safe means to solve this problem without investing too much more in this project if possible. i have read about aqua seal and the products called db100 and db200 but do not know about safety and actual procedures/longevity of these products. my pond at full pool should be around 12' on deep end and 5' on most of shallow end--it is now about 6' on deep and 2 1/2' on shallow end. many thanks for info and any recommendations (products ess,db100,bentonite,etc). am well read on your web site's ideas on coring/packing/etc--apparently made a mistake in trusting original contractor's opinion on soil for building pond --he test dug holes with backhoe all around pond site and stated the clay there was what he usually hauled in to fix ponds. pure b.s. it appears. thanks for any advice on products to safely and effectively seal and fix pond.

Last edited by ga pond rookie; 07/07/09 04:28 PM.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
ga pond rookie

I am working with the pondseal now and will let you know something when I know.

It was applied on the front side of a dam. The seepage was not a lot to begin with but easy to see on the back. It has rainned every time we came to look it

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
thanks otto--i am monitoring this site for several related questions i posted on this topic. sure hope i can find some economical way to solve my problems.

J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
ga pond rookie,

I just used PondSeal to try and stop a re-occurring leak in the bottom of the deep end of my one third acre pond. I say "re-occurring" because my pond was "repaired" in July of '08. When the pond filled this spring, it went back to losing almost an inch of depth in 24 hours.

I purchased the 2500 lb. super sack and shot it into the pond with a "water cannon" I fashioned out of 2 inch pvc pipe and fittings hooked up to a 2 inch trash pump. It was a bit of a slow process but I think it worked. We got about 1/4 inch of rain here overnight and the water level actually came up.

Good luck with your leaks,
John

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
How did the pondseal finally work out in the end

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
JMC

Are you still watching the water level?

How is it doing?

J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
I am absolutly elated. Since I added the PondSeal, the water level has gone up about 15", and it seems to be staying there. I have been running my well water into the pond which can add roughly 1" of depth in 24 hours plus we've had about 2-1/2" of rain since adding the product. Also I run an open loop geothermal HVAC system in my home that discharges into the pond at an intermitant rate of 3-1/2 gals per minute.

I am so happy with the stuff I drove up to Toledo last Thursday and brought back another 2,500 LB. super sack. I shot this in perpendicular to the first load. More or less as insurance.

As I stated in the earlier post, I was fortunate to have a fairly good idea where my leak was.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JMC - how much does a 2500 pound sack cost and how much area does it cover?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
The price I got was $300 per ton, so, the 2500 lbs was about $400 with the sales tax. The super sack is roughly 1 cubic yard and should cover 324 square feet at the recommeded 1 inch thickness (7-8 lbs per square foot). I was told by a company rep that they could work the numbers a bit the more you buy.

What I really liked about the product was that I didn't have to drain the pond again to apply it.

The wife took a video that I can e-mail if your interested in seeing how I "shot it" into the pond.

John

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
How about loading that video for all of us to see. Like Otto says, we love pictures.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
I'll try. It may take a while though.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Absolutely. I, and probably about everyone else here I'm sure, would love to see that.

Thanks for the info.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
Hey guys,

Getting back to the video of the application of PondSeal to my pond. Try the link attached.

John

See: Johnspond3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sHjMMrLlc

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
A tractor with a three point hitch fertilizer spreader will let you put it out a lot faster---We put out 18 bags and it took about 30 minuts per bag.
It would spread out about 50 to 60 feet.

J
JMC Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
Otto,
I had a unique situation where I was trying to concentrate the material in an area about twenty-five feet in diameter, which, I was able to do with my method of delivery. BTW, my pond is filling nicely now. Something I have not seen in years.

OMG, I just went from fingerling to lunker. Think I'll treat myself to a big fat purple worm.

Last edited by JMC; 10/21/09 04:51 PM.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Will try your method net time. It really looked good

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Otto, what is your opinion of the product? Even after all the work we still have a slow leak in our dam. Would this be useful for sealing that leak in the future?

JMC, how did you build that water cannon? Is that a trash pump I hear in the background? I'm thinking a water cannon could come in handy!

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails