Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (bstone261, Bing, esshup, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer), 691 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#508018 06/24/19 08:38 AM
N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
We bought a house 2 summers ago that has about a 1/2 acre spring fed pond on the property that we own solely. It's about an average depth of 6 feet deep and has a town easement culvert for road drainage. Now in our 3rd summer were nearing frustration at controlling the algea. Last year i home built a fountain to help aerate which due to running costs we dont run as much as i would like. This year we accepted that chemicals for a pond this size would be costly but started a plan of dye, manual removal, foutain aeration and green clean pro about 6 weeks ago once it started warming up. So far our efforts have been completely pointless and the pond is covered yet again in algea.

So now im wondering if basic pond aeration will help and if it can be done with pumps that dont make alot of noise and dont cost dollars a day to run to be effective. Im capable if building my own system and am willing to spend money up front if it means saving money in run costs. Im also looking for advice if any of my plan is worth continuing with? Maybe im still not using enough dye or algeacide.

thank you

It seems everyone is battling algae this year. I'm assuming your issue is with FA(Filamentous Algae) that floats to the surface in big clumps of carpeting slime. Manual removal could be an alternative, tho its labor intensive. You could build a floating skimmer rope long enough to stretch across the pond and pull it all to one end where it can be raked out.

With your pond being just 6' deep, you've probably got FA growing on the majority of the bottom. Pond dye will help reduce sunlight penetration but be prepared for the issue to get worst before it gets better. As the algae dies, it will float up even thicker. You HAVE TO GET IT OUT!! As it decomposes, it will add even more nutrients to the pond, continuously fueling new growth.

Aerators will create a heavy DO level which will help, but it takes time. Chemicals can help also, but copper based treatments can and will kill a lot if not all of the good bacteria you need to consume the added nutrients.

Keep your head up and just keep fighting. Eventually you'll start to see improvements. It does take time to get it under control tho.

One more thing...I tend to forget about Tilapia, because they are illegal here, but if you can stock them in your area, they will eat a lot of algae.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/24/19 09:21 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Just get some Cutrine Plus Granules...approved for aquatic use.

Don't treat the whole pond at one time because too much at once can cause a fish kill.

On a non-windy day throw out a few handfuls of the granules to land on the top of mat of algae...I use a gloved hand....treat about 35% of your pond. Wait about 10 days to two weeks and then treat the next 35% of your pond....and so on.

Cutrine Plus Granules

It's worked well for me...see my before/after pics:

Fishing has never been about the fish....

N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Yeah its filamentous algea and this years no different than the last 2 as far as the amount. It's funny you mention a floating skimmer rope. Ive spent the last week racking my brain trying to "engineer" some sort of long floating tool that could pull it all in at once for removal. So far i built a floating rake with rope pull line and rebuilt a fishnet for heavy duty use as our removal tools. The pond is so big though i use the boat to drop the rake farther out while my wife pulls it to shore.

What sort of skimmer rope do you mean and do you maybe have pics of one i could reference to make my own? This sort of thing would be perfect to clear the pond faster and more effectivly and all at once.

N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I wish i could get that but in CT i think it's been banned. Every place i try to order cutrine from wont ship to me. I have been using greenClean Pro granules every 2-3 weeks at 10lbs per application. It's an oxygenator type of product but so far im sure has helped but hasnt been as effective as i'd hoped.

EDIT: I thought i was quoting when i hit reply. Im responding to the cutrine plus comments

Last edited by nogoer; 06/24/19 09:43 AM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
nogoer....I see. I wonder if it is "illegal to ship" or "illegal to ship or use". Well not sure how you feel about it, but sometimes e-Bay sellers will ship to any state....otherwise i guess you'll have to find approved products to satisfy the local bureaucrats.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Go to your local big box store (THD, LOWES) and get as much floating rope (YELLOW POLLY) as you need to cross the pond. Get a big bag of wire ties and the smallest diameter pool noodle you can find. Cut the pool noodle into a bunch of small sections (APPROXIMATELY 2"). Space the cut sections out on the rope about every 3 feet and zip tie into place. Add more ties every couple of inches on the rope between each float, clipping the tag end to about an inch long.These will act as catches on the algae and help keep it from slipping under the rope as you drag it across.

Edit: since you're in CT, Tilapia are probably allowed, but you'll have to restock every year. They wont survive your winters.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/24/19 11:10 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: Zep
nogoer....I see. I wonder if it is "illegal to ship" or "illegal to ship or use". Well not sure how you feel about it, but sometimes e-Bay sellers will ship to any state....otherwise i guess you'll have to find approved products to satisfy the local bureaucrats.

Didnt think about ebay. Ive tried looking around for local bans but havent had any luck yet. The rpevious owner left a 5gal pail of liquid cutrine i did use the last few gallons of so i know it was legal at one point.

Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Go to your local big box store (THD, LOWES) and get as much floating rope (YELLOW POLLY) as you need to cross the pond. Get a big bag of wire ties and the smallest diameter pool noodle you can find. Cut the pool noodle into a bunch of small sections (APPROXIMATELY 2"). Space the cut sections out on the rope about every 3 feet and zip tie into place. Add more ties every couple of inches on the rope between each float, clipping the tag end to about an inch long.These will act as catches on the algae and help keep it from slipping under the rope as you drag it across.

Edit: since you're in CT, Tilapia are probably allowed, but you'll have to restock every year. They wont survive your winters.

I had thought of something similar to this but dismissed it thinking it would just float over the mats. The zip ties i can see helping, but dont they just spin? Even the ones on the rope itself?

You're going to zip them tight on the rope. They shouldnt spin and that little tag you leave hanging will help grap the scum. I suggested spacing them 2", but you can put them as close as you want. I wouldnt go more than two inches tho. I would think the more you put, the better they'll grab hold of the mass.

Some of the algae will get past it, naturally, but as it starts piling up that mass should start sliding toward the shore you're pushing to. Itll take a couple of passes to get it all.

Spread out a tarp on the ground where you start raking it out and pile it up, then haul it as far away from the pond as you can. You dont want it to wash back in. One of those really wide plastic yard rakes work really well. Just dont overload with times. FA is quite heavy when it's full of water.

N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
You're going to zip them tight on the rope. They shouldnt spin and that little tag you leave hanging will help grap the scum. I suggested spacing them 2", but you can put them as close as you want. I wouldnt go more than two inches tho. I would think the more you put, the better they'll grab hold of the mass.

Some of the algae will get past it, naturally, but as it starts piling up that mass should start sliding toward the shore you're pushing to. Itll take a couple of passes to get it all.

Spread out a tarp on the ground where you start raking it out and pile it up, then haul it as far away from the pond as you can. You dont want it to wash back in. One of those really wide plastic yard rakes work really well. Just dont overload with times. FA is quite heavy when it's full of water.

Great, thank you for the help. I just ordered all the stuff form amazon and later this week ill try building it out doing the foam and zip ties for about a 50' section that ill tie around in a loop and add a leader to so we can pull from shore. Access to 2/3rds of the shore is difficult so we have to use a boat to get out to most of the pond and we'll use that to lay out the rope around large areas of algea to pull in.

I also checked ebay and sure enough it appears sellers will ship cutrine to me. Im not sure why most pond shops wont because i know a local pond guy uses liquid cutrine.

N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N

So as mike suggested i built a rope that i think is what he explained. It just seems to roll and twist up over the mats though. I tried adding weight to help keep it tighter and grab better but it didnt really help. Attached are a pic of the rope and a pic of the pond and the nasty situation ive been fighting for years.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice

Attached Images
IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0474.JPG
Here is the thread that talks about the herding rope. Look at post #35779 for the bulk of the info you are looking for....

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35766

Fish on!,
Noel
N
nogoer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Here is the thread that talks about the herding rope. Look at post #35779 for the bulk of the info you are looking for....

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35766

Oh man thanks a ton for that link. I was searching like mad trying to find any info on others attempts with "rope skimmers" and always came up empty. I never thought to call it a drag or herding rope. As i read through the thread its like deja vu and im start8ing to realize some issues i have with mine like its floating too high and my zip ties arent staggered.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump