Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
7 members (emactxag, Theo Gallus, Snipe, Lake8, Theeck, Augie, FishinRod), 852 guests, and 368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#294406 06/03/12 02:04 PM
B
Bwana Offline OP
OP Offline
B
OK Guys, this is my first post, so I am jumping in both feet first and going straight for the kill shot.
My uncle Cliff...(RIP) got me hooked on worm fishing with a bullet weight and the hooked turned back into the worm for a weedless effect, on a bait caster reel, about 40 years ago.
Love it passionately.... but sad to say I still have not perfected the art... I had over 30 hits yesterday A.M. on my pond and only boated 9 of the fish. (LMB ranging from 10", 4# 15 oz.)
What are the secrets of you guys out there to land more fish on this type rig?
I have tried a variety of hook sizes and configurations, but just can't seem to get the fish hooked.
Here of lately I have developed a special fondness for 4.5" Salty craws with a 1/16 oz, painted bullet weight and have tried 1/0, 2/0, & 3/0 hooks. Used Tru-turn hooks Curved ones, offset ones, you name it. I am usually using a 6'6" med. Heavy rod and 8# to 12# test. Have tried both techniques of trying an immediate hook set and let 'em run a bit before I put the wood to 'em... Sad to say I am still not as good at this as I wish I was... so anybody want to give up their secret, What is your receipe for this method...?

It looks like the bait you're using is a fairly fat-bellied crawdad pattern. You'll probably have better luck fishing this as a trailer on a flipping jig instead of a worm rig. If you did want to fish that bait on a worm rig, I'd recommend an oversize hook like the Gamakatsu G-Mag so that there's enough gap in the hook to get a good set. With anything but an oversize gap you're not giving a fat bait enough clearance from the hook to catch well.

Try a flipping jig next time. They have silicone thread hook guards and are made for fishing in heavy cover. If the cover isn't super snaggy, you can use a swimming jig with no weed guard, because the jig head is weighted so that the exposed hook will always point upwards. I use 1/8 oz jigs with 2 0 hooks for the pond.

When using a worm the way you describe it, it's called a Texas rig. How are you placing the hook, exactly? If it's not too weedy you could try "texposed," which means the hook peeks out just a little bit. I rarely miss a strike when rigged this way. Also, work the hook through the worm a few times so that it pops out easily when you set the line.

For plastic worms, I use Gamakatsu off-set shank hooks of various sizes with 4-6# line on fast action 4' or 5' spinning rods for my pond. Sometimes, you get a thump, and if you set then, the bass has the bait by the tail and you'll miss the hookset. Generally, waiting for the 'double thump' works best for me to ensure that the bass has taken in the entire worm. Then I do sweep-set with the rod to slide the hook out of the crusher and into the jaw.

Flipping jig

Jigs with crawdad trailers

Last edited by Bocomo; 06/03/12 03:26 PM.
S
S
A lot of times, if you're not hooking them, they aren't all that excited about your presentation or the color you're using. Chage it up and try that.
Also, sometimes they may not all be bass. I've caught catfish, carp, bluegills, bullheads, and crappies on rubber worms.
When I fish a worm or craw or creature, I set the hook immediately. They can spit a bait in a blink and if they don't like the taste, or feel you, they'll blow it and you'll swing and miss.
Hope a little of this helps. Nothing more fun than catching them on soft plastics. My suggestion though would be a 1/16th oz crappie jig with a black head and a four inch strait tailed worm. The little hook will hold well and they are surprisingly weedless. Drop down to spinning tackle and 6 or 8 lb. test and watch your line for signs of hits because you won't always feel them. Set on any mushy feel too. I think you'll be surprised. smile
Good luck and good fishing.
Dan

Don't discount CNBG hits on a worm. Sometimes, the bigger the hit, the smaller the fish. CNBG will nip at the tail, and really confuse the issue. Also, watch your line. Sometimes it will just start moving. If so, set the hook.

I will say this. At some point you'll get the feel, and will really enjoy worm fishing. It can be frustrating at first, but you can throw a worm places nothing else will go, and it's a blast. When worm fishing, I keep my rod tip a little lower also. It gives me a chance at a quicker set.

As Bocomo said, that's a pretty thick worm to be learning with. I would initially go no bigger than a 6" worm with a #3 hook and a 1/4 oz weight. This should increase your hit count. Buy whatever brand worm you want. I have my favorites, as does everybody else. I fish Jackalls, and Lake Fork Tackle almost exclusively, but that's just me.

AL

S
S
Yes, BG's are an antagonist to worm fishermen when they are present. Seems especially a problem when a worm with a colored tail is used.

good luck,
Dan

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Don't discount CNBG hits on a worm. Sometimes, the bigger the hit, the smaller the fish. CNBG will nip at the tail, and really confuse the issue. Also, watch your line. Sometimes it will just start moving. If so, set the hook.

I will say this. At some point you'll get the feel, and will really enjoy worm fishing. It can be frustrating at first, but you can throw a worm places nothing else will go, and it's a blast. When worm fishing, I keep my rod tip a little lower also. It gives me a chance at a quicker set.

As Bocomo said, that's a pretty thick worm to be learning with. I would initially go no bigger than a 6" worm with a #3 hook and a 1/4 oz weight. This should increase your hit count. Buy whatever brand worm you want. I have my favorites, as does everybody else. I fish Jackalls, and Lake Fork Tackle almost exclusively, but that's just me.

Al, I'll have you fishin' some of this stuff on a fly rod before long ... grin
You can keep a weightless rabbit strip worm fly in the "strike zone" longer than a Texas rigged plastic worm .... LakeFork bassers never die they just .... yeah, you know... laugh
There is no law on the books that I know of that would keep you from throwing a weighless plastic worm on a fly rod - might make the purists shudder... cry

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

George, I absolutely will not throw another fly rod or fly rod lure until the goat weeds are cut! It was the most embarrassing moment of my adult life. I told George I felt like I was in an adult sized Chinese finger trap.

I did get both the DR trimmers running yesterday, so progress has been made.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
LOL ... goat weeds love flies - right?
Al, we are near neighbors - you need a goat weed fly casting lesson in my backyard ......all you need is 5 gallon bucket stripping basket and high stop backcast.... cry

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
10 or 15lb power pro mainline with a 5 to 8 foot flurocarbon leader may help with your hooksets at a distance because of the zero line stretch.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Al, casting a fly is easy. Even I am learning to do it. Well, as long as the wind is at my back.......

When worm fishing in a pond, I prefer a very silent presentation. I seldom use a weight when rigged Texas style.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Oh I did fly fish years ago. Me, Momma and the kid would head to the Buffalo river every year. We'd fish the White and Buffalo, and play backgammon way to late in the night with another couple that always went with us.

When I decided to reintroduce myself to fly fishing, George was kind enough to give me lots of valuable advice on equipment and technique, but I'm slightly slow but getting there.

Presently, I only fish my lake with a Ray Scott spinning rod and 4 pound line. I actually bought it from Ray at the first Pond Boss conference, and it has served me well. Weightless worms thrown right at the edge of my primrose have put many, many LMB in the ice chest.

I think a lot of people who don't fish ponds, miss the whole dynamic of pace. Running and gunning is the reason I quit tournament fishing. It's just so much more fun to present a lure and enjoy the moment. It's not a race, and it's not a contest. It's about the moment, and that's why fly fishing seems to hold a whole new appeal to me.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
"I think a lot of people who don't fish ponds, miss the whole dynamic of pace. Running and gunning is the reason I quit tournament fishing. It's just so much more fun to present a lure and enjoy the moment. It's not a race, and it's not a contest. It's about the moment.."

So true FIH...so very true.

Kind of reminds me of this very special scene.

"the moment"

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
S
Originally Posted By: george1

Al, I'll have you fishin' some of this stuff on a fly rod before long ... grin
You can keep a weightless rabbit strip worm fly in the "strike zone" longer than a Texas rigged plastic worm .... LakeFork bassers never die they just .... yeah, you know... laugh
There is no law on the books that I know of that would keep you from throwing a weighless plastic worm on a fly rod - might make the purists shudder... cry

I like your fly patterns, especially that black, long tailed one. Is that a leech pattern?
Dan

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dan, those rabbit strip flies can be a leech, lizard or worm depending on adding tails or legs.
Easy to tie - regular or magnum bunny strips are avaiable from Cabelas, Bass Pro or various on line sources.
Just use a regular worm hook and wrap 4 or 5 turns of lead solder behind hook eye for action - thread on you as you would a plastic worm.

I'll play around with a couple and take pictures is anyone is interested and wants to try them.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bwana
OK Guys, this is my first post, so I am jumping in both feet first and going straight for the kill shot.
My uncle Cliff...(RIP) got me hooked on worm fishing with a bullet weight and the hooked turned back into the worm for a weedless effect, on a bait caster reel, about 40 years ago.
Love it passionately.... but sad to say I still have not perfected the art... I had over 30 hits yesterday A.M. on my pond and only boated 9 of the fish. (LMB ranging from 10", 4# 15 oz.)
What are the secrets of you guys out there to land more fish on this type rig?
I have tried a variety of hook sizes and configurations, but just can't seem to get the fish hooked.
Here of lately I have developed a special fondness for 4.5" Salty craws with a 1/16 oz, painted bullet weight and have tried 1/0, 2/0, & 3/0 hooks. Used Tru-turn hooks Curved ones, offset ones, you name it. I am usually using a 6'6" med. Heavy rod and 8# to 12# test. Have tried both techniques of trying an immediate hook set and let 'em run a bit before I put the wood to 'em... Sad to say I am still not as good at this as I wish I was... so anybody want to give up their secret, What is your receipe for this method...?

Bwna, not hi-jacking your thread - just another idea/alternative pertaining to your plastic worm or craws....

Welcome to the PB forum.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: george1
Dan, those rabbit strip flies can be a leech, lizard or worm depending on adding tails or legs.
Easy to tie - regular or magnum bunny strips are avaiable from Cabelas, Bass Pro or various on line sources.
Just use a regular worm hook and wrap 4 or 5 turns of lead solder behind hook eye for action - thread on you as you would a plastic worm.

I'll play around with a couple and take pictures is anyone is interested and wants to try them.

Nobody asked - nobody told .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday