Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (PRCS, Boondoggle, esshup, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 709 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#224501 07/02/10 11:05 AM
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I have had several requests so im starting a thread here. Please let me know if this is inappropriate and I will delete.

Im building a fish hauling tank. Here is what I have thus far, I would appreciate any recommendations you guys and gals may have:

100, 200 and 300 gallon
Round tank
Large Lids for netting
Will be mounted on a stand that will hold an oxygen bottle
Can be secured in a pick up or on a trailer
Will have a 4 inch bulkhead fitting for flowing fish into ponds
Will have a bulkhead fitting with a diffuser for oxygen
Plastic is UV treated for long long usage

Im open (asking) for suggestions. You guys are the real experts! Im just a plastic guy. I plan on fabricating a mold, so we can make whatever will work best.

Looking forward from hearing from you!

Brad

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hmmmmmmm........ Interesting!

Will you be making a top lid that closes and stops water from sloshing out?

What size O2 bottle? Can the holder be adapted to hold various sized bottles? (one at a time)

I think some of the tank mfg's. went to a larger fitting at the bottom of the tank to minimize fish getting beat up exiting the tank....

Will the fitting at the bottom of the tank have a slide valve? Even if the fitting was optional that would be nice.

Are you just putting a bulkhead fitting on the tank so the purchaser can hook up their own diffuser?

Will there be a place on the tank to mount a flow valve? The o2 tank would have the regulator, then stepped down to the flow valve, then to the diffuser.

Will the tanks be rounder than tall? I was thinking about minimizing wind drag when going down the road.

Any metal parts on the tank should be stainless for anti corrosion.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not sure if round is as good as rectangular. If you've done some research, which it appears you have, you will note there aren't any round hauling tanks for commerical hauling on the market. It may just be there there is less space wasted with a rectangular tank. A couple of compartments may be a plus on the large tank too (if it was rectangular).

Here's a rectangular plastic insulated tank I own from Rotomold in Minnesota.

I'm not a big fan of the bulkhead where a large PVC pipe is connected for quick release of fish. The fish don't always cooperate. I've had yellow perch that just flounder in the bottom of the tank once the water is released.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/02/10 12:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
ANSWERS IN ALL CAPS.

Hmmmmmmm........ Interesting!

Will you be making a top lid that closes and stops water from sloshing out?

DESIGNING A SCREW ON LID THAT IS VENTED BUT KEEP WATER FROM SLOSHING OUT.

What size O2 bottle? Can the holder be adapted to hold various sized bottles? (one at a time)

THE SIZE BOTTLE THAT YOU GET FROM A WELDING STORE. YES MODIFICATIONS WILL BE EASY.

I think some of the tank mfg's. went to a larger fitting at the bottom of the tank to minimize fish getting beat up exiting the tank....

4 INCH WAS JUST A SUGGESTION. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND A 5 OR 6 INCH?

Will the fitting at the bottom of the tank have a slide valve? Even if the fitting was optional that would be nice.

YES THAT WAS MY IDEA, A SLIDE VALVE TO OPEN AND CLOSE THE FITTING.

Are you just putting a bulkhead fitting on the tank so the purchaser can hook up their own diffuser?

THE FITTING WILL BE THERE TO ALLOW A WATER TIGHT ACCESS TO THE DIFFUSER. I PLAN ON SUPPLYING DIFFUSSERS WITH ALL TANKS SO THE CUSTOMER WILL NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING BUT ADD WATER AND FISH.

Will there be a place on the tank to mount a flow valve? The o2 tank would have the regulator, then stepped down to the flow valve, then to the diffuser.

IM PLANNING ON ADDING A FLOW VALVE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE OXYGEN TANK.

Will the tanks be rounder than tall? I was thinking about minimizing wind drag when going down the road.

YES, MORE ROUND THAN TALL.

Any metal parts on the tank should be stainless for anti corrosion.

IM PLANNING ON TRYING TO STAY WITH ALL PLASTIC.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
ANSWERS IN ALL CAPS:

Not sure if round is as good as rectangular. If you've done some research, which it appears you have, you will note there aren't any round hauling tanks for commerical hauling on the market. It may just be there there is less space wasted with a rectangular tank. A couple of compartments may be a plus on the large tank too (if it was rectangular).

ROUND IS A MUST WHEN HAULING SHAD. IF NOT THEY JUST BUNCH UP IN THE CORNERS AND DIE (MY EXPERIENCE). IM GUESSING THE TANKS ARE MAINLY RECTANGULAR DUE TO MANUFACTURABILITY. BASICALLY IT IS EASIER TO CREATE A SQUARE AS OPPOSED TO A CYLINDER. HOWEVER, YOU HAVE A GREAT POINT ON MULTIPLE COMPARTMENTS.

Here's a rectangular plastic insulated tank I own from Rotomold in Minnesota.

I'm not a big fan of the bulkhead where a large PVC pipe is connected for quick release of fish. The fish don't always cooperate. I've had yellow perch that just flounder in the bottom of the tank once the water is released.

WHAT TYPE OF RELEASE DO YOU LIKE? NETTING AND RELEASING?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Right angle corners are used forfull space utilization. Threadfin shad do haul better in round tanks and is why, along with fragility why they are so expensive. A 10" outlet is best with an 8X10 opening better than round. Lids need to allow enough space for a person to get in to the tank to clean and sterilize it properly along with making it as easy as possible to net out fish.

Oxygen is of course important, but a 4" opening for an aggitator is needed also or carbon dioxide will quickly build up and suffocate the fish unless the oxygen flow is VERY turbulent---read wasteful.

When using a good ceramic O2 diffuser like a Point Four, The bubbles are so fine they are dissolved into the water before rising to the surface---any oxygen bubbles reaching the surface are essentially wasted.

Last edited by Rainman; 07/02/10 04:27 PM.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Great info. there Rainman, it is much appreciated!

Brad

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Rainman,

Do you have a picture or a link for one of those aggitators? Im not that familiar with them.

Brad

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know where to source the agitators, but I do know from talking to Rex that there are 12v and 120v units. Good call Rex on the agitators, I forgot about them!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Quote:
WHAT TYPE OF RELEASE DO YOU LIKE? NETTING AND RELEASING?

I prefer to just slowly drain and net the fish out. The quick release pipe sounds good on paper but never worked that well for me. I had a 6 inch pipe.

In case you haven't noticed those gate valves are really salty in price once they get to 6 inches and larger. They can really add a lot to the price of a hauling tank.

Didn't know that about threadfin shad and the need for circular tanks to haul them. I guess it's because we don't have them up here. They wouldn't make it through the winter. Ya learn something every day!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/02/10 09:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I hate to ask this, but why go through the trouble of making a round tank just so one species can do better? I know all of the fish haulers in my area and none of them use round tanks. Rounded corners ok, growout round tanks great. Holding round tanks great. Transportation, no so great.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
That "one" species is around $1500 per load--$800-$900 per half load. Using square corners for hauling this trophy bass producing forage would cost a fortune in dead fish.

Springtime orders can be 10-20 full loads per week....the math explains why a round tank is preferred.... smile

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
That is the only fish I plan on raising.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Makes sense. I did not know if you were producing them for sale or your own use for that species. Real speciality item, I don't even know anybody that deals with them. Too expensive, too fragile and not enough demand around my parts. I even have to import shiners, and there is a huge demand for them. I think 95% of our guys are going foodfish.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
No offense Pond Frog, but you have to deal with Ca. regulations that are often totally absurd.

Threadfin Shad are a great alternative to Gizzard Shad and people that are super serious about raising trophy size bass love the LMB growth acheived when they are present in a pond. Unfortunately, extended periods of cold weather often wipe them out every few years in areas much further north than the 34th parallel.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Offended? It sickens me the bs they are shoving down our throats or shoving up other orifices. I can only play local pond boss with the cards I am dealt. And the game is totaly stacked against us now, and just about done in the pond planting arena. I'm not offended with someone who speaks the truth. I'm offended by the government agencies that declare every body of water including those on private property are emminent domain and subject to those in power who are incompetent.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Reelmechanic
Rainman,

Do you have a picture or a link for one of those aggitators? Im not that familiar with them.

Brad

Here is a link to some Minnow Saver brand Agitators...BoatCycle makes a cheaper version, but all all too expensive for what they are...($15 worth of parts) Agitators

I like the rectangle shaped 12"L X 8"H dump gates using a discharge chute. A few fish will always stay behind and is why you need a big lid to easily net them...A big lid makes loading fast and easy as well.

C
C
Keep us informed on your building project. I want to build or buy a hauling tank by next spring and I'm not far from you.

CptCowman

A
A
I have hauled several loads of shad over the years in rectangular tanks with few issues. I have found the only problem with round tanks is the extended time it takes to net the fish out. If you plan on having a valve to flush the fish, round tanks are fine. If you will be transporting the fish via net, I would not reccomend a round hauler.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
BTW Shaun Banks builds aluminum fish huling tanks- just an fyi

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images