Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,799
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (shores41, Steve Clubb, Justin W, Joe7328, catscratch, Knobber, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot, Boondoggle, esshup), 983 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A few weeks back, when we were on a family vacation, we stayed at a place that was just off the beach and had a lot of light foot traffic moving right by on a regular basis. My four year old girl was pining to set up a stand selling lollypops to the pedestrians, however, the only problem was that she wanted to charge $3.00 per lollypop. Of course, I had no desire to set up such a venture, so it was not hard to try and argue that one could buy a whole bag of the same lollypops for less than $3.00. While she didn't quite accept that logic, I went further to inform her that we didn't have the proper permits and would most likely be arrested. This finally gave her some pause.

This past Saturday, after having been home from vacation, I was watching both the daughter and the two year old boy for most of the day, and of course, the idea pops up to make and sell Kool-Aid on the street. The issue of pricing quickly came up.

The girl has some attraction to a $3.00/unit price. I had to talk her down. I explained how much Kool-Aid one could get for $3.00 and how the 5 oz. cup that we would offer for $3.00 would not be kindly accepted.

We ended up at a negotiated settlement of $2.00 per 5 oz. cup of Kool-Aid.

I felt at this point, that I might need to set a proper example of simple economics and the basic concepts of supply & demand, as well as a study on impulse buying. I felt certain I could also demonstrate how human nature, in general, factors into sales

If I priced Beer & Wine at a cheaper, more reasonable rate, surely I could show my daughter how these things worked, and who would be more successful after having intelligently set a price point.

In the end, we sold out of the Kool-Aid twice, although, my kids had a problem with drinking the inventory. The two year old boy was acting hog-wild by the side of the street after having had some 10 cups of Kool-Aid. Trust me, I couldn't stop him from trying to keep drinking it. I even made it light on the sugar end. It was hot out though.

I, too, drank some of the inventory, but I only sold one drink.

I'm not sure what I've taught my daughter now. I tried to tell every Kool-Aid client that a dime would do it, but everyone insisted to pay full price.

So, in hindsight, I pretty much have no idea what I'm talking about, and I now have to consider if I should quit my day job.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How many of the buyers were kids or moms? \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How much did she get from the tooth fairy? That may well be where her skewed logic came from. Funny stuff.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For reference, in my day, the hawking slogan was:
 Quote:
Kool-aid, Kool-aid, 3 cents-a-glass

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
For reference, in my day, the hawking slogan was:
 Quote:
Kool-aid, Kool-aid, 3 cents-a-glass

Dang, that's a pretty old reference.......for such a young guy.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
The two year old boy was acting hog-wild by the side of the street after having had some 10 cups of Kool-Aid. Trust me, I couldn't stop him from trying to keep drinking it.

I'm sure it comes as a great shock to all of us who know Sunil that his 2-year old would spend all day drinking Kool-Aid after Kool-Aid.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
We ended up at a negotiated settlement of $2.00 per 5 oz. cup of Kool-Aid.

Does that include one jigger or two of Captain Morgan's?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We spent this last week up at our property (I'll post about it in another thread). Prior to going up there we stop by the grocery store to stock up on food to take to the ranch. We bought about a dozen bags of sugar free Kool Aid mix (JHAP is on a diet, hence the sugar free, and JHAP also gets board drinking plain water, hence the Kool Aid). So we're standing in the checkout line and this senior citizen is putting our groceries in a bag. Steaks, corn, sandwich makings, then the Kool Aid. He looks at the Kool Aid mix and then looks at me then looks at the Kool Aid mix and then looks at me again. He says to me "You have kids at home?" I replied "Nope." He says "Who's the Kool Aid for?" I say "it's mine ." Then he says to me "I guess some folks never out grow Kool Aid?"

I have read the instructions on the bag very carefully several times over. I see no reference to an age limit.

This story is true, the names have been changed to protect the innocent and the not so innocent.

Great photo and story Sunil. You are raising a great capitalistic entrepreneur. It makes my CPA heart happy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
We had kids and adults patronizing our ramshackle establishment.

Regarding what she got from the tooth fairy, I'd have to go back and check, but I think it was a buck or two. You have to understand that she lost that tooth when she was about two years old. She fell off of a picnic bench at a party. There was some blood and a little bit of crying, and we though she just cut her lip. When we got home a few hours later, we found out that her tooth was plum gone.

The next morning, I went back to the accident scene, and sure enough, her entire tooth was there on the ground. Man were we feeling bad. Funny thing is now I can't really remember her without the NHL Goalie look.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
"There was some blood and a little bit of crying...."

Enough about you, how did your daughter react?

Just do it...
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ha ha ha. Really laughing here!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
That girl's smile could sell ketchup popsicles to a woman in white gloves, Sunil you never stood a chance. I would have spent the cash for the Koolaid and had a couple beers though if they were cold, just to help you out of course...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Sunil you are a lucky man she is awesome! She will make a great CEO of a large company someday. I was wondering how a four year old was missing her front tooth so early.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In getting absolutely owned by a four year-old, Sunil learned a valuable lesson. Never underestimate the salesmanship of a young and pretty female.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
In getting absolutely owned by a four year-old, Sunil learned a valuable lesson. Never underestimate the salesmanship of a young and pretty female.

You beat me to it. A friend of mine used to own 2 hot dog stands in pretty high traffic areas. He got the second one when his daughter started college. He ran one, she ran the other. He wore shorts/t-shirts, flip-flops and a smile. She wore a 2 piece bikini (against his wishes). Can you guess who outsold the other by over 3 to 1? He now jokes that hot dogs put his daughter through college. LOL

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Jeff, that's a great idea. If Sunil put on a 2 piece, can you imagine the uncontrollable stampede to buys hot dogs from his daughter. Ha, and everyone thinks Sunil is such a great businessman.

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a scary pic to think about Randy (S in a 2 piece). ROFLOL. \:o - - -- \:D

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
That is a scary pic to think about Randy (S in a 2 piece).

What if Sunil waxed first?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I dont care who Sunil waxes; I just dont wanna see a photo of a waxing moon.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
It all started with a simple glass of kool aid on a hot day.....

And this is where we end up??? For Shame.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I want it documented that my only post on this thread was relative and in good taste.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I want it documented that my only post on this thread was relative and in good taste.

Duly noted. Are you feeling OK?

-S. M. Stirling

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 12:10 PM
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM