Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220808 06/08/10 09:29 PM
J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
I'm looking for a MN DNRcertified fish hatchery that sells BG and LMB, in Minnesota.

The list I got from the DNR han't been much help. Most of the places I called are either out of business, don't have those species, or don't return my phone call.

I did find one who's info I used to fill out my permit, and was accepted by the DNR, but now that I have the permit, I can't get ahold of them?

I have 30 days before the permit expires. If I can find someone else who has what I want I'll see if I can't have the supplier changed, and buy the fish from them.

Never thought getting some fish for my pond would be so complicated?

As long as they're in Minnesota, and certified, I'll figure out a way to get the fish home myself, if needed.

I'm near Duluth, if that makes a difference.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
BUMP

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Spruce Creek and Mckenzie are the only two I know of, though I have dealt with neither.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeff,

It's tough to be a fish hatchery in Minnesota. Lots of regs, restrictions, health inspections and with the costs in regards to those regs and restrictions it's hard to make a profit. I would go into more detail but it would get so negative it doesn't belong here. Let's just say a friend that runs a fish hatchery in Minnesota has likened the regulatory atmosphere with your DNR to the Gestapo. Too much power and they have gone way too far.

On the other hand this is a problem anymore with many states and the feds have stuck their noses in to make it even more problematic.

Jeff I've P.M'd you with a contact that may be able to help.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/09/10 09:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Thank you Cecil and Dwight.

Cecil, I'll give your contact a try. I'm beginning to see what you're talking about, too.

Dwight, I have tried both of those previously, and called Spuce Creek again yesterday but they didn't answer their phone. Maybe I'll leave a message, and hope, if Cecil's contact can't help.

Thanks again, guys!!

Jeff

I
I
What is BUMP supposed to mean?

I
I
What is BUMP supposed to mean?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Puts a thread at the top of the forum. "Bumps" it to the top for more views.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I am so late to this thread not sure it matters.

For informational purposes...I have purchased WE, BCP, BG, and YP from a great guy in central MN. 10,000 Lakes Aquaculture is the name of the company. John Chalmers is the owner. He does have a web site and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014

Fishing has never been about the fish....

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I live in Minnesota and the rules are a laugh. I talked to the DNR and in order for me to have fish in my pond, I have to buy fish from a certified hatchery. This is the funny part. I have to buy a fishing license in order to catch the fish in MY pond that I bought from a hatchery and raised! I am not kidding! I got this info straight from the DNR! I had the kids catch some fish for me and release them!!

Go for it!!
J
J
SSSSHHHHHH!!!!!! The walls have ears!

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
luvmypond-

I am with you and the frustrations you are feeling with our sometimes difficult to work with Department of Natural Resources. My suggestion - Play by the rules like the rest of us. wink grin

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The only thing that works are lawsuits by NGOs. When their budget gets hit with legal fees, they will take notice. I have never sued anyone, but I have heard of the Minnesota DNR and their reputation.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
From what I've heard jackboots is the word in Minnesota. We are so lucky to be in Indiana RAH. Have a friend that ran a fish farm up there that is now retired. He was constantly being harassed by the Minnesota DNR.

I don't want to be a downer luvmypond but just throwing in wild caught fish willy nilly without balanced predator prey numbers can be a bad idea. But I can see why you did it.

Ironically your DNR has caused what they want to avoid by being too strict. That is fish that are not tested for pathogens going into ponds that overflow in to water drainages.

Lots of people going under the radar with VHS restrictions. Testing is extremely cost prohibitive.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/13/13 06:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Originally Posted By: luvmypond
I live in Minnesota and the rules are a laugh. I talked to the DNR and in order for me to have fish in my pond, I have to buy fish from a certified hatchery. This is the funny part. I have to buy a fishing license in order to catch the fish in MY pond that I bought from a hatchery and raised! I am not kidding! I got this info straight from the DNR! I had the kids catch some fish for me and release them!!

Here's a nutty rule for ya...in Illinois they have statewide creel limits. The DNR regs state that I can only catch 6 LMB per day. When I first read this years ago I was in the middle of draining one pond and creating another so it was fresh in my mind - I thought to myself 'I'm sure this is only applicable to public waters - I'm going to call though just for fun'.

I get a hold of a lady at the DNR office in Springfield - long story short, the regulation is statewide, for every BOW public or private. I state 'so let me get this straight - I paid to build the pond, on my property, and I paid to stock it - and you're going to limit me on how many fish I can remove? I can drain the pond and kill every fish in there, but if I'm using hook and line I can only take 6?' - the answer is yes.

Fast forward to last fall...a friend of mine is a fisheries biologist for the state - I tell him this story, he says 'no way, that can't be how the law is written'...he then calls me back a couple of weeks later. That is EXACTLY what the law is. 6 fish per person per day, no matter who owns the BOW.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
dlowrance- If Illinois is like MN, I bet you will find more laws that are "nutty". MN law states; the wildlife on any property, public or private are owned/managed by the state. A person can apply for exemptions or permits but must pay a yearly fee, a.k.a. tax

Other Examples for MN
1. Seasons of fish; LMB, NP, WE all have dates on when they can be kept.
2. Culling a pond and using the fish as fertilizer or simply removing and disposing of is considered; wanton waste
3. Possession limits for all fish must be followed
4. Ice houses must be licensed
5. Moving fish from one pond to another (even on the same property) considered transporting live fish
6. All fisherman 16 and over must have a valid fishing license

It goes on and on. Of course I ALWAYS follow all of the MN laws. wink

Holy cow...I believe I've just found a state with worse conservation laws than we have. MNFISH you win. Or lose? tomato, tomahto.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Originally Posted By: luvmypond

Here's a nutty rule for ya...in Illinois they have statewide creel limits. The DNR regs state that I can only catch 6 LMB per day. When I first read this years ago I was in the middle of draining one pond and creating another so it was fresh in my mind - I thought to myself 'I'm sure this is only applicable to public waters - I'm going to call though just for fun'.

I get a hold of a lady at the DNR office in Springfield - long story short, the regulation is statewide, for every BOW public or private. I state 'so let me get this straight - I paid to build the pond, on my property, and I paid to stock it - and you're going to limit me on how many fish I can remove? I can drain the pond and kill every fish in there, but if I'm using hook and line I can only take 6?' - the answer is yes.

Fast forward to last fall...a friend of mine is a fisheries biologist for the state - I tell him this story, he says 'no way, that can't be how the law is written'...he then calls me back a couple of weeks later. That is EXACTLY what the law is. 6 fish per person per day, no matter who owns the BOW.

Wow is that government in your face or what? Not enforceable either.

I'm required to pay $100.00 for a fish dealers license to sell dead frozen fish to your Illinois. (I sell trophy size fish to taxidermists). I'm know it technically applies to live fish but the IDNR won't budge. Needless to say I refuse to sell fish in Illinois.

I did make one exception after a taxidermist begged and begged me to sell him a frozen brook trout. Temp was in the 90's, and UPS instead of delivering the box the same day it got to his area, let it sit in a trailer for a day. When he got it he was livid as it reeked. He called me and ripped my head off. I told him to calm down as I would refund his money or replace the fish. He kept on and on.

I refunded his money but he had the nerve to ask me when I would have more available. No chance ever buster. I risked my livelihood for you and you ripped my head off. Even told you it was too hot to ship fish. God some people are so dense.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/21/13 06:35 AM.

Z
Z
anyone else that knows a hatchery that can sell me some fish in Minnesota? I called fish4stocking.com but they said they might not have anything left in the spring so I'm looking for other options.
Z

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails