Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bill Cody, Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 1,047 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
ETD66SS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I have a 1 acre pond connected to a 1/3 acre pond via an 18" culvert pipe.

I also have a ditch leading into the small pond to replenish the water level, that culvert utilizes a 15 inch diameter inflatable pipe plug from late Feb to early Nov to keep the pond water from draining out.

The watershed for these 2 ponds is not great, and I'm basically at the mercy of the seasonal rainfall when it comes to keeping the water level up. A typical year is 18" of water level loss from April-Sept. I have added a well, but it turned out to be only 4 GPM and I don't think that will help me much.

The attached picture shows where the culvert is (blue) and where the pipe plug is (red).

Pretty much all year round, when there isn't ice on the ponds, the larger pond is much clearer than the smaller pond. I have not made any tools to check clarity, but it's quite evident just by observation.

If on a given day I can see down 4 ft in the large pond, I'm lucky to see 1 ft down into the small pond.

I constructed both ponds in a similar fashion, with the same soils. I'm not sure what is going on.

Pond Clarity

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I believe that the way water flows through your ponds has turned the smaller pond into what some folks here term a "settlement pond". Meaning that the water comes into the small pond, the suspended particles "settle out"'of that h20, and thus clearer h20'then continues onto the larger pond

One way to help the smaller ponds clarity is to have h2o run through an artificial wetland type area so water is "prefiltered"'before it gets to your small pond

E
ETD66SS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Well I stop the water flow into the small pond in late Feb, and no water is allowed to pass that red line on my picture from Feb to Nov. I would have thought the small pond would settle out in that time period...

That ditch I use to replenish the water level is really only active for a week or so, that's all it takes to replenish, then I put the plug in.

I do see your point, and would agree with that if that ditch was "operational" all year round. Also, the ditch is full of tall grasses, not sure how good of a silt filter it is...

Last edited by ETD66SS; 03/16/13 06:58 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Do you have the same species and density of fish in both ponds?

You could have a high enough population of BH in the small pond to keep the mud stirred up. Or, because it's acting as a settlement pond, there is MORE mud in the smaller pond and it's easier to keep stirred up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
If you want the small pond to look as nice as your larger pond, the blueing agent that is prescribed to add that nice water color and filter out sun will also act as a clarifier given a couple of weeks. You don't even have to use as much as the bottle states if you don't like that artificial blue look. Use a small amount and wait a couple of days to judge the effect. You can always add more with small amounts at a time.

E
ETD66SS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: esshup
Do you have the same species and density of fish in both ponds?

Well, I know what I stocked into that pond:

FH, GSH and grass carp.

There is only one grass carp left as 3 of the 4 I put in there died, and I don't think any of the 12 I put into the large pond swam through the culvert.

In the large pond I stocked:

FH, GSH, grass carp, YP, WE, PS & SMB.

I know that the small pond was full of YOY PS last year as I was trapping to remove some of them from both ponds. Other than that, I have no idea if any of the WE, YP of SMB migrated through the culvert from the large pond to the small.

However, this water clarity difference was an issue before I stocked any fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ETD66SS
I also have a ditch leading into the small pond to replenish the water level, that culvert utilizes a 15 inch diameter inflatable pipe plug from late Feb to early Nov to keep the pond water from draining out.

I was thinking that maybe some fish that you didn't expect made it to the small pond via the ditch during a high water event.

Do the jar test and see if it settles out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
ETD66SS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Quote:
Do the jar test and see if it settles out

Is there a specific way to perform this test, or is it as easy as it sounds?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Easy? Heck, I can do it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
ETD66SS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I only have one GC left in the small pond, but it is a huge fish. I see it circling the 1/3rd acre pond all the time. Could this thing be contributing to the clarity issue?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM