Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 754 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi yall trying to stop erosion by building a rock wall.I have allready started i'd like some more opinions wether this will work or not before I do anymore work thanks.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hard to give advice without a better description of what needs fixed? Can you explain your situation or even better post some good pics..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
BGK,

He's the gentlemen with the small trout pond. He posted a pic of it in that thread.

Small Pond,

How about scattering straw or straw bales until the grass comes up?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/01/13 09:19 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
cecil the reason for not spreading bails of hay is because it's very windy here. i've also tried this before and it hasn't worked at least for me the pond still got muddy after doing it. plus no one is selling this time of year. btw i put one more pic on the last forum this morning.

Attached Images
work2.PNG
Last edited by small pond; 02/01/13 07:58 PM.

F
F
Rocks will help. They can be usefull at the ponds edge where it is to steep for anything else to work. I have found that you want to cover as much of the area as you can, meaning that if you put big ones down then fill all the spaces in between with smaller ones. The smaller the cracks that the water has to go thru the better. Now if you are talking about large expanses of ground, that is a different story because of the labor involved. Also, if there is alot of dirt coming into the area, the rocks will get buried quickly and then the silt will just wash over the rocks. Sometimes you can lay down and/or pin tree limbs to the ground to help slow down the water movement.

Best thing is as Cecil said, try to get some kind of cover growing as soon as you can. Tough this time of year.

OP Offline
Thanks wanted to confirm from the experts what i allready thought.

F
F
Tires, but they look trashy.

it looks like you have lots of trees, ever think about stacking up brush??

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
SP, looking at the pic, is your whole pond on the side of a hill? If so, how much hillside runoff do you get?

AL

F
F
It looks like you have an area(in the center of the picture) that is barren and the runoff heads towards the pond. If this is this case, you might consider diggining a trench that redirects thats water so it doesn't carry all the silt into the pond.

I'm trying to think of cost friendly ways to help out. If you have areas that are running off into the water and bringing silt, how about a silt fence till spring? Might trying to find some old fabric/ bed sheets and use that like they do commercially. If you can't buy straw, cut some very tall grass off somewhere and place it on the bare ground. Weight it down with branches and limbs to help keep it in place when the wind blows.

It looks like there are alot of trees around, so it will make it tough to get a grass growing, even when springtime comes.

This doesn't really go along with your question of erosion, but of water turbidity. The one picture earlier showed the spring coming in and aerating the water pretty good. Could the force of that water be churning up the bottom of the pond? Might put some rocks at that outlet to hold the ground stable.

Originally Posted By: fish n chips
It looks like you have an area(in the center of the picture) that is barren and the runoff heads towards the pond. If this is this case, you might consider diggining a trench that redirects thats water so it doesn't carry all the silt into the pond.

FnC, that's exactly where I was going. Ground cover may be difficult, so diversion terraces may also be a solution. My experience with water flow leads me to believe that water speed is a bigger issue than water volume. 100 gallons of water flowing at 50 GPM should cause more damage than 100 gallons flowing at 5 GPM.

AL

OP Offline
no the faster the water in the pond faster it clears up it's about 4 ft deep where the spring water hits the pond thats definatly not the problem the pond gets muddy after a heavey rain yes the pond was built on a hill and only gets runoff from the banks that are bare and my foot path that goes 200 ft up hill to the house today i'll dig a ditch to try and divertt the runoff from the hill the super steep banks around the pond are going to get rock on them and in the spring i'll plant grass if it grows. heres a pic

Attached Images
rock.PNG

F
F
As FireisHot was eluding to, you might want to add terraces above the pond. Examine where the flow of water is coming down that steep hill above the pond and slow it down. Might take advantage of some of that fallen timber for bracing and slow it down with rocks and screen like materials packed around them. I would be careful about backing the water up (like mini ponds) to much, because if one would give out then you would have a mudslide going into your pond.

OP Offline
as you can see i built the pond on a hill i know where most of the mud is coming in at so i'am not going to build another small pond to divert it. I aint going to dig if i don't have to instead ill take youre advice and build some cheap ways to stop the silt before it goes into the pond ill also dig a small ditch to send the runoff down to the ditch at the railroad tracks. ill use the rocks to stop runoff on the steep banks where i can't plant grass. thanks for the idea

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The diversion ditch will probably do wonders for you, small pond. Maybe even a couple of them. You might also consider just randomly placing rocks around the hillside above the pond as a means of slowing down any water that gets beyond your ditch(es), kind of like creating a space where there is no single straight path to the pond, forcing the water to basically ricochet down the hillside.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
K
K
Smap,if there is a commerical landscaping company in your area,they may have some remmants of landscaping fabric they will give you. You can use it to make humps or cover areas that are eroding. Good luck,if you have a rotiller to use,it would make digging much easier.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails