Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bill Cody, Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 1,047 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I have a few angel trumpet (datura inoxia) seedlings that I need to transplant. They would look very nice at the edge of the pond near the dock. All parts of the plant, including seed pods, are toxic. Would placing these at the edge of the pond likely cause serious problems to pond life if parts of the plants or seeds fall into the pond?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I don't know but I avoid putting anything by a dock that could cause a problem with kids. That includes any sticky or toxic plants ( for example roses or nandina) and things like brush piles in the water.

I
I
Datura is stated to be poisonous to all animals. The concern that I would have is any fish that eats it but does not die still retains the toxins in its flesh which would be transferred to any other animal that were to eat the fish. If this is a fishery pond, you could inadvertently poison your family. I would plant something a little less hazardous.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks. I think I'll find another spot for the Angel trumpets.
Charles

FarmerCharlie, I LOVE to garden and 90% of my spare time is spent doing just that!! With that being said, I have had angel trumpets in my flower beds (actually a few in about all of my flower beds) for years now... Yes, they are very poisonous... Now, the thing about them is that they have been used for centuries just for the sole purpose of poisoning people... Way back in the day I'm sure it's safe to say that many people were buried with the towns folk thinking it was such a shame "ole Henry" got the flu and died from it, when in fact "ole Harriet" got tired of him and fed him some angel trumpet dish under the disguise of "turnip greens"......Lol... But seriously, I have grown it for several years now and I have 2 small children, neither have ever wanted to eat it, as it doesn't look to appetizing for one and two my kids have been good about not putting stuff in their mouths... I know some kids will pop anything in there if given the chance.. Also, none of my animals (tame or the wild ones) we let run around here have ever nibbled on it either... I have actually had a plant one summer that was infested with Aphids... I finally clipped all the leafs off of the plant and sunk them in my pond in hopes of drowning the bugs... The fish in my pond didn't try to eat it either... I feel safe planting them anywhere I know they'll be happy. They are beautiful plants and if you cut them back at the end of the season then they come back again the next year... If you have young kids around that DO like to sample a little bit of everything then I'd be a little nervous about having them, but if you don't then I think you'll be safe... As far as animals/wildlife goes, I think most animals know what can and cannot be munched on.
Also, one more thing... It's been said that unless it is boiled or cooked in some way or another then it is not deadly, eaten raw it will only cause a serious tummy ache... I'm still trying to talk my hubby into letting me verify this theory... No luck yet! Lol wink
Sorry for such a long reply!!

J
J
Originally Posted By: April Newman

Sorry for such a long reply!!

Don't be sorry about a long reply. It was full of information.

F
F
My mother was actually hospitalized last year after trimming her Brugs and Datura. After several hours of trimming, she became violently ill, confused, had dilated eyes, cardiac arrhythmia, etc. After extensive diagnostic tests, the doctors concluded that she had absorbed a large amount of toxin just through handling the plants over a prolonged period. Anyway, she was treated for the poisoning and came through okay but has since removed the offending plants...

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: April Newman
I have had angel trumpets in my flower beds (actually a few in about all of my flower beds) for years now... Yes, they are very poisonous...

My father had them in the yard when I was a kid, and I remember sitting on the patio at sunset and watching them almost pop open. I planted a few in a bed at the house this year, and they are bringing back lots of fond memories.

FarmerCharlie: My Grandmother had them in her yard!! I remember them from when I was little.. The blooms would be this long, skinny looking thing but then WOW, they would burst open and be so beautiful!! And the smell!! YUMMY!! Lol I have just about every color they come in but my yellow and peach colors came from my Grandmothers plants, I took cuttings a long time ago and *knock on wood* I still have them come back every spring!
FullCircleTx: That is terrible!! I was told by a doctor there are extreme cases of such things happening to people, possibly similar to what your mother went through and that excessive handling of any toxic plant can be very dangerous if in fact the person has a rare and/or often unknown allergic reaction to the plants... My Momma, for instance, is highly allergic to tobacco plants! My parents farmed (mainly cattle and tobacco) and if my Momma so much as lighly grazed a leaf of a tob. plant she would swell up something awful and have a rash from head to toe!! Lucky lady got out of having to work in it!! Lol... But every person is different and some have harsher reactions to certain things than others... The fact still remains that AT's can trouble...

F
F
The odd thing was my mother has been gardening for 70+ years with no problems whatsoever and had grown both Brugs and Dats for the past 30 years or so. So, it caught everyone by surprise.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM