Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,949
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Davidson1, Angler8689, Boondoggle, Sunil, highflyer, Bill Cody, Ervin, Theo Gallus), 1,169 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226810 07/16/10 11:27 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I just got back from netting most of the remaining dead rainbow and brown trout out of my small (about .12 acre surface area) pond here at 7800ft in Colorado. 4 days ago I sprayed about 15 oz of Reward to less than 1/10 of the area of my pond to kill off the elodea that is choking everything. There's still lots of alive looking weeds, but most all of my fish over 6" are dead. Of course, this act coinsides with the start of our hottest period yet this summer. Will check water temps tomorrow but it's got to be a DO crash. Bummer all around.
My question is this: how do I know when I can restock my pond? I plan on raking out the dead elodea over the next week or 2. I'm thinking that I could just keep using the Reward to get rid of as much of the elodea as possible. Then when things cool down tempature wise, I'll restock. And I'm thinking that I will finally have to invest in a DO meter - if so, any suggestions on what kind to get and where to get it from?
Thanks, Barbara

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sorry to hear about your fish kill Barbara. Here are some discussions regarding O2 meters..

DO Meter Advice

affordable DO meter?

Battling Elodea is no fun.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sorry to hear about your fish kill.

If most fish died and a re-stocking will be in the works, I would go ahead and make sure the Elodia was eliminated now by whatever means first.

Larger trout are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by Rainman; 07/18/10 05:32 PM. Reason: Removed SOME evidence of my mistaking Reward for Roundup

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Sorry to hear about your fish kill.

I would not discount the Reward as being the direct cause of death. Trout are exceptionally sensitive to water quality and contaminants. Reward is not approved for use in the water and killed far hardier fish than trout.

If most fish died and a re-stocking will be in the works, I would go ahead and make sure the Elodia was eliminated now by whatever means first.

Larger trout are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

+1. Kill off all vegetation, drain, do whatever improvements you've always wanted to do, refill, restock.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Reward is not approved for use in the water and killed far hardier fish than trout.

What ? Reward is approved for aquatic use. Here is the label.

http://www.midwestaquacare.com/product-labels/Reward.pdf

Last edited by ewest; 07/17/10 04:50 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I was under the impression Diquat was rough on birds but not that bad for fish. Maybe the dying plants plus the other factors combined for the die off. Personally if I used that little Reward and followed instructions to the letter I would contact them and complain loudly. That is not supposed to happen, but as I always say, those smaller ponds just have little room for bad conditions. Sorry to hear about your tragic die off.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks for the replies. I can't drain the pond, and my water source at this time of year is whatever rainfall we get, so I can't refill it either. I will get as much elodea out of it as I can before I restock once it cools down. Barbara

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Rex has got to be thinking of Roundup instead of Reward. I treated our pond with a Reward/Cutrine mix and did not have any problems of fish dying.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Roundup instead of Reward, you lost me there.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Don't feel bad PF, I almost never know what I'm talking about.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Oops....I WAS thinking of Roundup....My bad!!!

Last edited by Rainman; 07/18/10 05:34 PM. Reason: Changed my original post, but TJ saved it!...lol

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
No JHAP, my brain was malfunctioning with temporary flatulence. My bad.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
All,
My water temps taken yesterday about 1pm. were 70 degrees aobut 2 feet deep, and 68 at the deepest point, about 8 feet down. I have an aerator that I had been running overnight, but it's output is minimal at this time (I have a fox that likes to bite the black polypipe that carries the air from the pump to the pond, and I think he's been at it again!).
Now of course, my pond doesn't smell very good (unless you're the bear).
Barbara

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Of course you know trout just are not going to survive let alone thrive in those temps. I don't think Reward has anything to do with this, a nonfactor. Trout can only last so long in water temps that high. Ideal temps for most is in the 40's. Other negatives with those water temps could include faster decomposition of decaying vegetable matter. Less dissolved O2, faster evap rates. I could be reaching here without seeing it, but I do not think your pond is meant to be a long term year round trout pond.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I wonder if wrapping the air pipe in copper wool (like steel wool) would discourage the fox. Bats and mice won't chew on it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
Of course you know trout just are not going to survive let alone thrive in those temps.

I respecfully disagree. 68 is not lethal for trout although it would be better if it was lower. If there was plenty of oxygen it wouldn't be an issue, but considering she's got decomposing weeds...

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
When to many stressors are at work the combo of them can kill at levels where any one of them would not be lethal.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree that 68* is not lethal, but the trout's immune system is so depressed, any slight infection or injury could easily kill it.

Like ewest said...."When to many stressors are at work the combo of them can kill at levels where any one of them would not be lethal."

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I've had fish in my pond now for several years, and only once did I have to do supplemental aeration with a big trash pump to keep fish from dying at 70+ degrees. I'm pretty sure the decomposing weeds, plus turning off the photosynthesis dropped the O2 levels and killed the fish.
But how do I know when it's Ok to restock? By DO level? By water temperature? Once the weeds are done decomposing? and how do you know?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Trout just need colder water to thrive. Did the temp kill them alone? No. But it started the clock of death clicking. All you need is one little event to make it strike 12. No way those trout go belly up if you Reward it with 50 degree temps. I would make the pond better for trout before I put any more in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/24/24 08:07 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM