Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180422 08/25/09 04:16 PM
K
Kit Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
K
Hi there~ I'm not good with these types of sites, but Nate from Herman Brothers Pond Mgt recommended I ask you guys my questions.

First, I live on a small lake (112 acres, about a 3+ miles perimeter, max 25 ft depth) in northwest NJ. It is considered very clean, the fish love it (it's stocked with bass & trout), etc. Those of us who still draw water from the lake (something NJ is trying to make illegal with future house sales) treat it to make it potable. We treat our water w/UV lights to kill living organisms, filter it w/5 micron charcoal filters, etc. We don't drink the water, but we do use it to brush our teeth, wash dishes & veggies, shower, and the like.

Alas, a few years ago some visiting fisher introduced Lyngbya to our lake (a non-native, invasive algae). We also have other plants that interfere w/swimming, fishing, such as pondweed, etc. Our lake association hires a water mgt company to treat the water when we have major blooms which - because the lake is so clear and clean - are frequent when the weather is sunny. Recently, our "Environmental Committee" (made up of volunteers) changed vendors and we have a new company doing the treatments this summer.

This summer, in addition to copper sulfate (what the previous company used mostly), our lake has been being treated with AquaPro (for brazinia) and Hydrothol (lyngbya). With AquaPro, we have been told that there are NO restrictions to swimming, watering plants, etc. With the Hydrothol, we are warned not to water our plants or drink the water for 7 days, but everything else is fine (including eating fish caught after treatment). However, after reading the labels for these products, I am concerned, especially given that we draw water from the lake.

I noticed that the AquaPro label warns that it should NOT be used within a 1/2 mile of an active water intake valve, yet we who draw from the lake were never told to shut our water off (nor could we have for 7 days). Hydrothol USED to have a restriction of re: eating fish within 3 days of treatment, though that was removed from its warnings a couple of years ago for no apparent reason. From what I've read, Hydrothol also is known for working best at the beginning of a season, potentially being less effective later in the summer and possibly actually encouraging algae growth in the long run instead of quelling it.

My question to you is, should I be worried about contamination of our water system from the AquaPro and/or the Hydrothol? And, are there equally - or more - effective treatments for our small lake that would be kinder to its human and animal inhabitants, perhaps requiring fewer restrictions after applications?

Thanks for responding to me (directly if possible) as best you can~
Kitdiva@aol.com

Lunker
Lunker
Howdy, Kit, and welcome to the Forum.

No ideas from me, but you have reached a very good place to get answers.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum Kit!!!

I sent you an email and a private message.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Has anyone had much luck killing lyngbya yet.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Lyngbya is just nasty!

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Copper sulfate builds up over time in any BOW in which it's repeatedly used and can poison the fish. You're better off without any company that used it on a recurring basis - not too sound.

Lunker
Lunker
Hi Kit:
Welcome. You live on a big lake compared to my 9.8 manmade subdivision lake. We don't use our water for drinking. All lake treatment companies are not the same I do know that. We threw some bad dudes out of here and got some GREAT GUYS (Boys of Summer) in.
Our guys know that certain algaes become resistant to the same products and really do a great job rotating what they use. I'm looking at the posting sign and under Endothall-Potassium/Dipotassium salt of Enddothall : Aquathol-K, Hudrothol-191 - Super Aquathol-K DO NOT USE THIS WATER FOR SWIMMING/BATHING: 24 hours, DO NOT USE THIS WATER FOR ORNAMENTALS OR TURF IRRIGATION: 14 DAYS, DO NOT USE THIS WATER FOR DOMESTIC PURPOSES OR AGRICULTURAL IRRIGATION: 14 DAYS, DO NOT USE THIS WATER FOR LIVESTOCK WATERING OR SIMILAR PURPOSES UNTIL: 14 DAYS. Those are Michigan Dept. of Envir. Quality Rules.
Sounds like a big misscommunication if you use this water for anything other than swimming.
There is always harvesting as an option.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM