Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,952
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
12 members (Jambi, catscratch, jludwig, John Folchetti, shores41, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, phinfan, Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328), 1,147 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
So, I borrowed a DO test kit last night and checked the water in my pond. I came away with a 7.9 ppm at 64F for a saturation of 86%.

I know that means that currently I have enough DO for most species of fish including the trout that I am about to add. But, does it mean that with aeration I could reach 100%?

Thanks for your insight.

(Back story is that this a 1 acre pond in Virginia ( not aerated, not fertilized). I have bass, blue gill, and red ear in balance. I am adding trout for a winter fishery, with the plan to remove in the spring when water again reaches 65. I'm trying to figure out if adding too many trout is going to put me into a fish kill situation. Now I have the current number - just don't know where to go from here. Hatchery minimum is $400, so I had to order 180 pounds of fish - which is know is a lot - gonna be eating a lot of trout....)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jorge VA
So, I borrowed a DO test kit last night and checked the water in my pond. I came away with a 7.9 ppm at 64F for a saturation of 86%.

I know that means that currently I have enough DO for most species of fish including the trout that I am about to add. But, does it mean that with aeration I could reach 100%?

Thanks for your insight.

(Back story is that this a 1 acre pond in Virginia ( not aerated, not fertilized). I have bass, blue gill, and red ear in balance. I am adding trout for a winter fishery, with the plan to remove in the spring when water again reaches 65. I'm trying to figure out if adding too many trout is going to put me into a fish kill situation. Now I have the current number - just don't know where to go from here. Hatchery minimum is $400, so I had to order 180 pounds of fish - which is know is a lot - gonna be eating a lot of trout....)

That's more than enough D.O. in an open pond. In fact this time of year checking D.O. is a moot point, unless you are experiencing a turn over in an over-productive pond (wouldn't be the case in your pond).

I wouldn't be concerned whatsoever about adding trout (even that many pounds) this winter as when the water is that cold in open water there will be more than enough oxygen even without aeration in a 1 acre pond.

As far as saturation I'm not sure if you'll reach 100 percent but it won't be necessary (although you will be at least close).

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey, Jorge, that 7.9 definitely sounds like a solid number from the reading I've done here on DO. An aerator will certainly help you improve the saturation level, but I'm not sure how much more DO trout need to do well. I think an aerator is always a great idea if there's room in the budget for one, but it may not be necessary for you just yet or be something in the way of you getting the fish stocked sooner than later.

No doubt you'll get more input from people who know what they're talking about, so just hang tight.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input guys. I'm insanely excited about these trout for the winter - and it would be nice to put these fears about DO to rest so I can just enjoy the temporary fishery.

Last edited by Jorge VA; 10/06/10 07:52 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Totally understand that, Jorge. I'm now beginning to consider the idea, too, though I would have to think about putting them into my larger pond where there's a lot more room for them and there is virtually nothing else of any interest. Heck, with any luck, they'd do their best to nail the tiny LMB and the occasional BG that I have seen in there. Might be a fun way to go, and from what I've heard about them as winter time fish, they could be a real blast. Choices, choices, choices!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jorge VA

Thanks for your insight.

Dissolved oxygen in a pond is highly dynamic. A single reading at a single depth on a single day is just a snapshot in time. If you haven't looked at Weekly Observations already, it may be worth your while. There is a lot of good D.O.information in the data in the thread and especially in the commentary.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks everyone. Dwight I read your Weekly Observations thread - great stuff. I think I've gathered enough info to at least relax and enjoy these fish when they get here next week and just keep an eye on things as the winter/spring progresses.

I sure have learned a lot in the last few days....(THANKS!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM