I'm new to the pond ownership and maintenance game and trying to get my head around aeration. Sorry for the length.

The pond has a surface area of 1.5 acres and an average depth of roughly 5 ft. I attached a Google Earth pic of the pond. Here are some details that may be helpful; top of the pic is north:

- what looks to be a peninsula on the northern edge of the pond is really an island.
- deepest part of the pond is left (west) of the island
- shallowest part of pond is directly south of the island
- my property is the furthest to the east and I own the east end, the island, and the northern half of the pond (my lot is a giant "L" shape).
- pond is shared with 2 neighbors

I was out wading today, clearing up some limbs and what I sort of knew was really reinforced; we have a lot of muck/organic material on the bottom. In some areas, I sank in a solid 12". I've pretty well established that aeration is needed along with some bacterial treatment. Draining the pond and digging it out is too expensive and many trees would have to come down to get the equipment in. Sucking out the pond is also too expensive and may remove too much water.

I have the good fortune to have good neighbors and we are all interested in improving the pond. The question is what is the best option. Here is what we have chatted about:

Electric aeration
We have discussed this idea but it always boils down to who is going to have the pump running on their electric bill. There is also the risk of one of us moving and another owner coming in who won't want to pay in. It seems to be the cheapest and most straight forward.

Windmill
I've been reading the good and bad of windmills. This option is attractive since (for the most part) there is a single upfront cost. No wind = no aeration is a risk.

Solar
Another option were are considering but the batteries are an expense and Michigan is fairly cloudy.

Has anyone been in a similar situation of shared ownership and found a good solution?

I'm also trying to figure out how many diffusers should we need: 2 (one at each end)? 3 (each end and in the middle)? That may help guide us on which system would be best.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Images
The Pond.JPG

Share a 1.7 acre, kidney shaped pond with 2 neighbors; Stocked with bass and bluegill