Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,927
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, Fishingadventure, Tinylake, Knobber, Groundhog7, Jward87, Theo Gallus, DrewSh), 1,046 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Loomis Offline OP
OP Offline
L
First off. Thank you RC51 for posting your build. Two questions to those who have built this system: 1)Are you still happy with the EcoPlus 7 running 3 9" diffusers? and 2) is there any advantage to spacing the 3 diffusers out (say 2-3ft from each other)?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Loomis no problem thanks,

I am still using my system with no problems. I am using 3, 9 inch fusers but you could use 2 and it would work just as well I am sure. Keep in mind this system is for around a 1 acre pond 8 to 10 feet deep at the deepest. I run mine 12 hours a day in the summer and my bill is about 11 to 12 bucks. I have had mine now for about 3 years I also know some guys who have used the Eco plus 5 and like it as well but it is a bit smaller and it would have to apply to your situation either way they still like the pump. At about 115 bucks you can afford to replace it every 4 or 5 years if you have to. It's basically a use till it breaks and throw it out for the price. Good luck and keep us posted if you choose to use it.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 04/22/16 07:29 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
L
Loomis Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My pond is about the same size, but a bit less deep at 8' so this design should work well. When you installed your diffusers, you had them spaced close together. Is there any value in spacing them out to say 2' apart? Also, I'm thinking of using a garden hose with some weighting vs buying weighted hose. I like your modification of installing auto hose coming out of the pump (good thinking). If you have had good success with the 3 9" diffusers, then I'll stay with that design. How's the noise level with that pump?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Noise level isn't to bad I have mine inclosed in a small pet carry case though. I would say once I am about 40 to 50 feet from it I can't hear much at all. 8 feet is perfect that is what my pond is. The closer the better on the fusers. What your trying to create is up flow not just bubbles. So the closer they are to each other the better upflow you will get of your pond water and it should turn it over better. So keep them close to each other like mine about an inch apart or so. This is just me but if you have to wait a extra month or so to put in this system to get weighted hose I would wait till you had the extra money to do weighted hose. Sooooo much better for what you want to do. Hey good luck and keep up posted as to what you do and when!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51,

Is that $11-$12 per day to run the pump?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
RC51,

Is that $11-$12 per day to run the pump?

That should be per month, the eco plus 7 draws about 200 watts.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 02/26/13 08:15 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
AP is correct. That's 11 bucks a month give or take a buck. It's a pretty darn good pump for a certain type pond. As Mr. Bill Cody says it all depends on your situation, but so far I have had mine for 3 years and my fish love it and they are growing pretty nice. I also use a product I like called CFLOW for muck removal. Seems to work pretty well along with my air system.

RC

Hey AP what's up! Good to hear from you!!!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: RC51

Hey AP what's up! Good to hear from you!!!

Things are going ok here just waiting for spring so I can restock the pond now that the dam is repaired.
The ecoplus 5 is still working but I shut it down cause there's probably no trout left after the pond repair and the pump that supplies water from the stream to the pond during the winter has kept the level up and a large opening in the ice.

Have you started gaining weight yet? wink

L
Loomis Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ok, I'm hearing everyone loud and clear. Weighted line is the smart route. Because I have a small island in the middle of the pond (plan on having the pump installed there) I won't have much weighted line to purchase (maybe 25'), so it shold not cost that much extra.
RC51, I'm interested to hear more about the results you're getting from the CFLOW for muck removal. I've owned my place for 5 yrs now and have cleared a lot of growth around the pond, however, for the past 30yrs there has been a lot of compost falling into the pond and now I have about 2' of muck. Because I have fully landscaped around the pond, I can't get equipment into the area to clean the bottom. I have read some about the chemical muck removal stuff, but questioned how well the stuff works vs the cost...

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Have you started gaining weight yet? wink[/quote]

Hey AP I have a little. Feeling better every day thank the good Lord!!

RC

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Loomis
I have read some about the chemical muck removal stuff, but questioned how well the stuff works vs the cost...

Hey Loomis,

I have used a couple of products for this and last year was my first year to use CFLOW. I think it worked pretty well. I was even seen what looked like sandy color around my shore but it wasn't sand just yet. It was the much turning color as the CFLOW ate at it. CFLOW seemed to work the best and it's not to bad price wise. Keep in mind though this is no quick fix I am thinking a good 3 to 5 years of using this product with my air system before I really start to see results. The one thing I did have this last year was less plant life. I think that was from the CFLOW eating away at the much. It works but I would say your only going to gain 2 to 5 inchs a year I bet give or take. It's not a quick fix.

RC

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Good advice on keeping diffusers closer together. This helps get the upwelling column of rising bubbles to merge and increase flow in upwelling. If you have one acre of water, the larger ECo pump is best. If I had to aerate 1 ac, I would use 2 Eco pumps with diffusers since they are cheap, run cheap, and 2 pumps will maximize circulation in a couple areas to get best circulation for muck digestion. Your island will prevent circulation on the backside of the island so a diffuser placed back there would be beneficial. I would also have a back up Eco pump for when one crashes cause they cannot be rebuilt. There is very little good research or data on information about muck digestion rates for the various microbial products brands. We need more consumer feedback from those using microbial products for various purposes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/28/13 02:32 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:22 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 05:22 PM