Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Augie, Brett B, Boondoggle, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O, anthropic), 977 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
My 0.4A, 12' max depth, 7' average depth pond in southern Indiana is starting to fill. I want to get aeration in while water is only 18" or so max depth. I could buy a kit for more money, but like the DIY aspect of installing myself (and figuring it out with a little help from my PondBoss friends!).

My biggest limitation to system design is electricity. The only electricity at the pond site is via off-grid solar on my barn. I currently have 600w of PV with 600w more PV ready to install, going to four 215AH 6V GC2 golf cart batteries in series and a 24V inverter charger, basically giving me 2500 watts of usable power from fully charged to 50% discharged. Due to some other draws, I'd really only have about 1800 watts available. This is important as I note many people aerate overnight in the summer to avoid superheating the BOW's depths.

I am planning to run about 200' of buriable 12/2 UF-B Romex from the load center in the barn to the dock and place an outlet there, and mount the pump in a small homemade enclosure with cooling fan to both protect from elements and minimize noise while running.

The dock is on the eastern bank of my pond, which is kidney shaped and oriented east to west. I'm planning two Matala diffusers, one on a 70-100' line and another on a 150-200' line. Planning to elevate my diffusers via either riser or concrete block stack to 10' depth at full pool. Between two diffusers, two lines of 300' total 1/2" hose, and depth of 10' I figure an operating PSI between 5.5 and 6.

All that gets me to pump selection. I'm considering the following options:

*Hakko 120LH diaphragm pump (rated 2.3CFM @ 6PSI, 126W @ 2.84PSI)
*Matala MPC-60C 1/4hp rocking piston pump (rated 3.25CFM @ 10PSI, 339W @ 20PSI)
*Gast 0523 (rated 3.6CFM @ 10PSI, 575W based upon Quarter Acre's reports here of his pump)

The Hakko diaphragm pump is clearly the most energy efficient, has a 3 year warranty, and specs better in terms of PSI and CFM than a Hiblow 120. It is also the quietest pump by FAR, but while the math all seems to add up for two 9" diffusers I know I'd be asking a lot of this pump. Based on what I've heard directly from Hiblow (a different manufacturer, but still...) I have reason to believe running 6 hours a day at 6PSI would not reduce its overall lifespan.

The Matala rocking piston provides excellent pressure capability, allowing me to use 3/8" weighted line Matala includes in a kit without excessive backpressure, saving money (estimate 7.5-8PSI with 3/8" line). It also puts out enough CFMs for two 12" diffusers, which would increase lift and shorten run time for a complete turnover of the BOW. I could also run this pump for up to 5 hours without overly depleting my battery bank. My biggest concern with this pump is noise.

The Gast 0523 seems to be a favored pump here; it has sufficient PSI for my BOW and puts out plenty of air for two 12" diffusers, also decreasing run time for turnover. I'm a little concerned about noise on this pump (Quarter Acre referred to his as a loud vacuum cleaner) but a lot more concerned about electricity consumption as I'd only have 3 hours of runtime.

So, these are my considerations...and the electricity consumption is a hard fast limitation. With that in mind, thoughts from those who have BTDT?

It certainly looks like you have done your homework! I don't know a thing about solar systems, so keep that in mine when I say...I can't add much to it from my experiences other than...

1.) Go with the largest hose you can afford. This will reduce wear on the pump, increase air flow/water movement, reduce pump noise (at least with the 0523 - the lower the back pressure - the lower the noise), and allow for longer runs of hose. There is a substantial difference between 3/8 and 5/8" hose with regards to pressure losses in the lengths you are running.

2.) I am finding that the 0523 is much more pump than my 1/4 acre pond needs (probably a bit large for your 0.4 acre pond too) and I, certainly, could have gone with a diaphragm pump. I can't say that I regret the decision, but I have been running my 0523 only 5 hours a night yielding about 1-1/2 turnovers in that period. The summer here requires nighttime running and the noise during the night is certainly not an issue for me. I have also brought my diffusers up from the 8-9' depths to a more shallow 6' depth to reduce turbidity (I don't think it's helping...crawdads are my scapegoat at this time)...It still does not develop a thermocline in this configuration...less depth means less pressure requirements, less energy usage, and more air flow. It does reduce the water movement a bit which requires more run time.

3.) As we all know, all ponds are different...Mine is triangular and small. My pond more closely resembles a bowl than a larger kidney shaped pond, so I would suggest going with a slightly large pump than you think you need in case a third diffuser is desired at a later date. Flexibility is nice to have for getting past the learning cure period. A pump that is slightly over-sized can be run less to do the job (same energy consumption, but with more short term demand, right?) where as a pump that is too small is yields a dead end.

4.) As far as energy costs are concerned, forgive my lack of experience here...A higher wattage requirement on a pump that can be run for lees time may be as cost efficient as a lower wattage pump that has to be run longer. So long as your solar system can supply the on demand power for a particular pump, a shorter run time can balance out the comparisons...right? I think what I am saying is kilowatt-hours need to be calculated and considered. In terms of WORK, if your goal is for 2 turnovers a day...it's pretty much the same amount of work being performed just in different time spans...work in equals work out.

I don't know if my ramblings have helped you out much as you have selected 3 pumps that are all very good for the job, but here's my opinions...

The Hakko does not leave any room for expansion if needed, but will be the most quiet. Could you add another down the road without kicking yourself?

The Matala and Gast have plenty of room for a third diffuser (maybe a forth), but will be louder.

My little pump house (small outhouse) is made of metal with barn wood siding and sits about 60 feet from my dock. I can hear it at the dock, but it does not hinder conversations at all, but if you are the type that wants pure serenity at the pond...the 0523 is not for you. It will be humming along letting you know it's there. Keep in mind that we run these systems at night MOST of the time. The pump was running this calm morning and I really had to listen for it while on the front porch, approximately 170 feet away.

Sorry to go on and on, but I have chores to do this is certainly more fun...thanks for the sidetrack!

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 08/31/19 09:32 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very good advice - take it to heart.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday