Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,018 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Wanting to build my own system, my pond is small and close to my house, I read alot about the eco 7 pumps, how loud are these? My pond is .165 ac.and appprox. 12 ft deep in the center, would this be overkill? I would rather over build it than under build. This is all new to me, I happened across this site looking up ways to combat duckweed, we got it last year for the 1st time, now coming back. Thanks.
Charlie

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Charlie,

Can you tell me the length x width of your pond? Also, can you tell me about the eco 7 pumps, I am not familiar with them.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

F
OP Offline
F
http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136485
It's kinda kidey shaped 70-80' ft long prob. 40-50 ft wide at it's widest.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys RC51 here. Check out this link.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245867#Post245867

This is a system I built a couple years back. This might help you all out some. The Eco 7 plus pump has worked well for me. I have it in about 8 feet of water with 3 fine bubble fusers on about 80 feet of weighted hose. The pump is not that loud at all. If you put it in any kind of container box make sure it's vented and when you walk 25 feet away you won't even be able to here it. I have been running mine for 8 hours a day and my monthly bill has been $8.48 cents. It's not that hard on the electrical as some might think. Hey good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me and I will try and answer them for you. This is a great little system for ponds 1 acre and smaller with a depth of about 8 to 12 feet.

Last edited by RC51; 05/23/12 04:14 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
This pump looks kind of small for that size pond. Do you know the cubic feet per minute and the PSI? I can not find it on the link you sent. We have a kit available that would be perfect for your pond. With the dimensions you gave me I am calculating approx. 1/10 of an acre.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
RC51 I just read your post, I am very skeptical about your comments on this being suitable for a 1 acre pond. Can you send me the specs, I did not see it on that thread you just linked to. What makes you think it has enough volume & pressure for a pond that size?

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Daniel C.
RC51 I just read your post, I am very skeptical about your comments on this being suitable for a 1 acre pond. Can you send me the specs, I did not see it on that thread you just linked to. What makes you think it has enough volume & pressure for a pond that size?

Well ahhh ok I guess that's your right to be skeptical. smile

What makes me think it has enough juice? I have been using it now for 3 years. There are several others on this site using it also. I think Joker has his in 14 or 15 feet of water. The pump has 7 CFM and 5.1 psi. I have mine in 8 to 9 feet of water and it's moving water like crazy. I have never had a fish kill that I know of and I got LMB, HBS, CNBG, RES, regular BG and bait fish everywhere! And 6 grass carp. Of course my pond bottom is quite basic. Now if your 1 acre has a lot of contour to the bottom then your going to need more than one setup anyway or seperate your fusers out in different directions. Just remember it's not made for real deep ponds. I don't know what else to tell you except you don't have to believe me I guess???? I won't be upset if you dont. smile

thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
I think at 7 CFM it is ok for shallow ponds. I would just be interested to know how much volume it loses at different depths. For example we have a linear compressor with a max volume of 5.1 CFM, however at 6' it is already down to 3.5 CFM and at 8' it is producing only 1.6 CFM. Can you see the jump in volume loss from 6' to 8'? Has the manufacturer put on any literature on how much volume it produces at different depths?

I am glad to know you never had a fish kill or any significant problems with your pond. However, I would be very cautious of advising someone to implement a system like this with out having more information on the volume it puts out at 12'. Especially after someone spends a lot of money on stocking the pond. I know we all want to cut corners and do thing as cost effective as possible, but sometimes in the long run it can end up costing us more.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

F
OP Offline
F
What were you thinking? Your part #PA10W? I'm not really trying to break the bank, the pond has been fine for the last 20 yrs. Just trying to tune it up a little. Someone provided me a link to plot my pond from sattelite, thats how I came up with .165 acres. Thanks

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Actually, if it were my pond then I would not go less then the PA12W. The unique thing about these compressors compared to linear compressors is that they have enough PSI to carry the full volume of air to the bottom. I totally understand about not trying to break the bank, I suppose if you are on a limited budget then the $100 pump might not be a bad idea. However think about weighted tubing another $100 and a decent diffuser $80 to $100. You have already spent $300. If the specs on the pump are good then that might not be a bad idea, however I would like to see some data on the pump. Even if it is making a lot of bubbles that doesn't tell us much especially if you are using a small diffuser. For a small diffuser to start really boiling on the surface doesn't take much volume.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Daniel C.
I think at 7 CFM it is ok for shallow ponds. I would just be interested to know how much volume it loses at different depths. For example we have a linear compressor with a max volume of 5.1 CFM, however at 6' it is already down to 3.5 CFM and at 8' it is producing only 1.6 CFM. Can you see the jump in volume loss from 6' to 8'? Has the manufacturer put on any literature on how much volume it produces at different depths?

I am glad to know you never had a fish kill or any significant problems with your pond. However, I would be very cautious of advising someone to implement a system like this with out having more information on the volume it puts out at 12'. Especially after someone spends a lot of money on stocking the pond. I know we all want to cut corners and do thing as cost effective as possible, but sometimes in the long run it can end up costing us more.

Well I don't need that much CFM cause my fine bubble fusers work from .5 cfm up to 5 cfm each. So I only really need 1.5 CFM to run all 3 of my fusers. I am not just throwing this out there. I have been running this pump for 3 years now and it's a great setup for 350 bucks. Sorry if your offended by that but there are some do it yourself systems that work and work well! I beleive this is one of them. I have never forced anyone to do anything. My suggestion is what it is a suggestion for a system that works well for the guy who don't have much to work with. It's up to them if they want to use it. It doesn't take much cfm or air pressure in a 8 to 10 foot pond to create the flow you need if your system is made correctly.

Here you go check this link out. RoadJoker22 made the same system and is using it at 12 foot no problems.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post252201

Last edited by RC51; 05/23/12 09:31 PM.

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks RC, your project is where I got the inspiration to do my own and more to what I want to spend. I just didn't know how loud those pumps are, my pond is prob. 20ft from my house at it's closest. Thanks.
Charlie

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: frogholler
Thanks RC, your project is where I got the inspiration to do my own and more to what I want to spend. I just didn't know how loud those pumps are, my pond is prob. 20ft from my house at it's closest. Thanks.
Charlie

Hey Charlie no problem show us some pics of that system when you get it setup and going. The pump comes with 4 mounting bolts and rubber washers to help keep down any noise from vibration. At 20 feet with nothing around the pump you may here it a little but if you put any kind of enclosure around it and a few vents to let hot air out I bet you would be hard pressed to hear it at all. Good luck buddy and if you can show us some pics once your ready!

F
OP Offline
F
Ok, I ordered everything should be here next week. How far apart do you put the diff.?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday