Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (jpsdad, Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 699 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RJE64 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all of the information on the forum! I am ready to spend the money on a quality feeder for this spring (I am in Indiana). I did the initial stocking of BG (400) and RES (100) in the fall. I also did 20# of FHM and 10 grass carp.
I am two hours away from my pond but I am usually able to get there once per week, but sometimes may be 2 weeks between visits. I am leaning towards a Texas Hunter with solar attachment.
Trying to find a feeding recommendation so I can gauge whether a 70# unit will meet my needs or whether I need larger. I am open to ANY suggestions or experience...initial size pellet, when to start feeding, and how much per day (once a day, twice a day)? The stocking was all 2-3" BG and RES.
I plan on adding the LMB in June or July or August...again, open to suggestions.
Thanks so much!

Thanks!

John
A
A
Hey, John. When the water warms to the mid to upper 50s, I'd think you might begin feeding. Smaller feed to start with, like Optimal Junior. As fish get larger you can shift to Optimal BG or Purina MVP, both good feeds.

Start at noon or later, with maybe 2 seconds initial cycle. If your fish are like mine, it might take a couple of weeks for them to catch on (pardon the pun), but when they do you'll know.

Gauge feeding by how quickly it all disappears. If just a few minutes, increase. If after, say, ten minutes there's still pellets floating, decrease. Eventually you can feed up to four times a day, but avoid early morning due to possible low levels of dissolved oxygen.

Rule of thumb is one feeder for every two to three acres, but even if you have a twenty acre pond it's fun & productive to have a feeder.

Last edited by anthropic; 01/19/20 07:14 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

R
RJE64 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you! Good stuff and I am saving that information! After posting my question I read through many more posts...great information and maybe I should have taken more time before asking.
I appreciate your straight forward recommendation. I'll take it!

Thanks!

John
R
R
There is so much info on here its incredible. Some times its easier to just ask.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
R
RJE64 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am debating between building a small dedicated platform at the pond's edge for the TH feeder or going with the adjustable legs and just have it on the shoreline. My shoreline slope is not too extreme and with it being a new pond/build the shoreline is currently bare, although I know, and want that will change. Thoughts?
I thought the dedicated platform might just be a little cleaner and more solid. The plus side of the shoreline version might be easier 360 access and I guess I could move it versus having a dedicated "dock". For those of you that have them...do you ever move them, or generally not? I plan on having a 10x10 dock but didn't want the feeder right there.

Thanks!

John
S
S
Whatever you decide, keep in mind prevailing winds if you are in a windy location like I am.

If you are feeding lightly might not make any difference. But if feeding to saturation don't want the feed blowing back to shoreline before the fish get it eaten.

I put mine out over the water on an 80 ft long dock which works slick.

Last edited by snrub; 01/19/20 08:57 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The 70# feeder will be plenty for your needs right now (Optimal Jr.). BUT in the future if you want to mix 2 different feeds like Optimal Bass and Optimal Bluegill, then the larger TH feeder would allow you to put both bags completely in the feeder even if there is food left in the feeder. Shipping costs are only about $10 different between the two sizes. In my pond I feed as "supplemental" food and go thru 2 bags of feed per month April thru October. You probably won't go through a bag a month of the Optimal Jr. feed for the first few months. Feed no more than what the fish can consume in 15 minutes. Fish in my pond seem to eat better when fed where there is shade on the water, or early daytime/late daytime.

The shore legs will work on a flat dock too, although they will take up about 6" more footprint in both width and "length". You can lag bolt down the shore legs to the dock too, you'll just have to use larger washers. You should be able to get away with using 3/8" lag bolts on the dock to anchor it.

Get the solar kit to keep the battery charged. During the winter you can leave the feeder out at the pond, leave the battery connected just turn the feed times to "off". That way the solar charger will act as a trickle charger all winter long.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RJE64 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Esshup! Another question...my new pond does not have much if any vegetation or structure (the reason for that is a subject for another discussion). I have begun to address that with some building of some pretty cool structure with cinder blocks and direct burial tubing as well as cedar trees and cinder blocks. I have not added the structure yet. My question as it pertains to this new feeder is, do I want the feeder to throw feed into structure, or maybe have nice pockets of good structure and good cover on each side and throw the feed towards the "open water" center? Since I will be adding the structure over the next 30 days or so and will begin feeding in April-ish (I assume that will be around our 50-55 degree water temp time, won't it Esshup?) I have the "luxury" of planting/placing the structure wherever I want in relationship to where I will put the feeder. Very long winded way of asking do I want the feed to be thrown into cover or open water NEAR cover? Thanks....again.

Thanks!

John
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Where the feeder throws is dependent upon what fish you are trying to feed. YOY and small fish won't be found in open, deep water. Conversely, many large adult fish won't be found in shallow water filled with cover.

Ideally the feeder would throw feed over shallow water with cover for YOY fish and the prevailing wind will blow any uneaten food out over deeper water for the larger fish.

How's that for a "it depends" answer. LOL

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RJE64 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks esshup. Sent you a PM.

Thanks!

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass