Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I live on a 10 year old 250 acre man made private lake in central Florida. It was originally stocked by allowing the water in from a larger fully stocked lake. So, we have a great variety of fish including LMB, gar, black crappie, brim, golden shiners, threadfin shad, gizzard shad, glass minnows, and a few different catfish.

The man made lake was built to sell homes and most of lake drops off very quickly from shore to about 8 feet at the end of the docks. The HOA chemically treats the lake regularly to remove the weed growth and the lake has very little fishing pressure but has signs all over saying catch and release only.

The brim population is very low because of the quick dropoff and lack of weeds that make them easy targets for the LMB. One other reason for the low population of brim is that the local bass club (including myself when I did not know better) over the last 10 years have added about 750 adult LMB from 14 to 25 inches into the lake. I do realize that the lake needs brim to be stocked into it annually but have yet to be successful getting the support for the purchase of brim.

I have a TH fish feeder that I use 2 times per day (1 hour after sunup and 1 hour before dark)and would like to know what is the most affordable and best feed to utilize to help grow the brim, increase their spawning, to provide forage and as a predatory source for the bass eggs in spring.

I currently have a source for some Aquafeed, 50 pound bags of floating pellets 32% protein (not certain of the fat content) at $26 per bag delivered. I have been told that 32% protein is not enough as a supplement to grow these fish and increase their reproduction. This gentleman was trying to sell me some $59 per bag brand that was 45% protein and 14% fat. Thanks for your assistance in recommending the right feed and why!

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger Z519, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Minn Kota Fortrex 112, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega, Humminbird Helix 12SI, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

R
RER Offline
R
Wish I could get some glass minnows, I just have not found a source near me.

What are the condition of the LMB, seems they would be looking thin with catch and release only. That usually does not work well long term. 250 acres is pretty darn big thought so things might be different with that much water.

How are the other forage base populations looking?

Feeding should bring fish around your dock. If Allowed perhaps you could assist with some cover and structure as well as some additional food.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 12/07/15 04:23 PM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
J
OP Offline
J
Some of the bass look great while many look thin. The bluegills seem to be the only specie that has been crushed by the factors described. We have added some structure but really need some expanse of man made structure in order to hold real numbers of fish. I really am most concerned about bringing more fish and building larger bass in the area in front of my dock. It may be the best point on the lake as it has some shell beds/hard bottom and is the beginning of a cut right off of the main lake.

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger Z519, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Minn Kota Fortrex 112, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega, Humminbird Helix 12SI, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

R
RER Offline
R
Best might be to remove the many that look thin but That sounds like an uphill battle.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would recommend that you contact Greg Grimes, lakework.com, in Georgia. He has a lot experience in your area and with bodies of water that size. Have the lake shocked and get an analysis by Greg. But, I do not envy you trying to get the HOA to spend the $ until a lot of homeowners complain.

The bass being thin is, as you have surmised, is from lack of the properly sized forage. To thrive and grow a bass needs prey that is 1/4 to 1/3 it's size. Those skinny bass will be from certain age classes that just didn't get the right groceries. At some point, the C&R only will turn into a real problem.

As you mentioned, one of the problems is the indiscriminate spraying for appearance sake. You need about 20% plant life around the shores.

For YOUR structure, build a bunch of PVC trees. They are cheap and easy.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Jack, you mentioned your local bass club stocked some lmb awhile back. So, what about the same bass club taking a day to go brim fishing on some other waters and use those brim to stock the lake with a days catch of brim? I understand CNBG come from Florida, is that correct? Any public or private waters close by for the harvest of brim for fish fry's? if so, just don't fry them, but transfer them.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all of the replies. I have suggested that the club fish for brim to stock and transfer them in order to add some forage but this club is just so useless that they are all talk and absolutely no action. I continue to be frustrated with the lack of action and disbelief that there is a problem. I know that we need the shocking to identify the requirements of the fishery but this club cannot even agree that it should be done.

T
T
Jack, if that the case, then take it upon yourself to go Brim fishing and enjoy. Take a kid or two with you. After several good brim fishing trips, it might make you feel like You got something done, better than nothing. smile Might be able to add a couple of hundred or so.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
OP Offline
J
I have decided to run for President of the fishing club and if elected will make our private fishery management a top priority. Stay tuned! Thanks again for all the help!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
32% protein is OK for growing BG - in addition to Channel Cats and Tilapia it's one species of fish that does well with the lower protein pellet.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It is possible that the C&R has resulted in too many bass overeating the food chain. The club may have to start selectively harvesting bass to allow the forage fish species to recover and achieve your goals for the fishery. It may take a professional electroshocking fishery survey to verify that too many bass and too few forage fish are present to convince the funding and management powers of the need for a change in fishery management practices.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/15/15 11:55 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
OP Offline
J
From what I see, our glass minnows, threadfin shad, gizzard shad, shiners, are in good numbers. My belief is that the red ear bluegill, and copper nose bluegill populations are very low caused by several factors, 1. minimal shoreline weeds and chemical weed treatment 2. introductions from 2006 to 2009 of 500 to 1000 adult bass from a nearby fishery 3. the lake has little shallow water and fast drop offs from shore allowing the bass to push the bluegill against the shoreline drop off and easily consume them.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A good knowledgeable fishery professional after an electroshock survey should be able to determine the community structure and provide an evaluation of how to proceed. IMO you need some sampling numbers to properly evaluate the entire fishery to achieve your goals.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's another vote for an electroshock survey.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM