Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all!

This is my first post here. I've been surfing around for some time and have learned a lot. Lot's of great properties.

I'm looking at buying a property this spring/summer in either Central IL or Southern Wisconsin.

Right now, there seem to be quite a few properties with lakes on them already. However, something is really exciting to build a vacant property with a new lake and homesite...customized exactly the way I want it to be.

However, I'm struggling to find the "right" property. Honestly, it's tough to know what to look for and especially vision a lake that is not present. I could use some help...bigtime!

I do have a few questions/concerns:

1.) I know someone who tried to build a pond but it never filled. Is it best to have springs into your pond? I'm worried connecting a creek would pollute it and I just can't see rain filling a pond!
2.) I'd like to have a lake around 10 acres, with 25-30ft of depth. Is that unreasonable on 75-100 acres of land?
3.) What do I really need to look for in a property?
4.) There are some properties with filled up strip mines, would that be better or should I create my own?
5.) What is the best way to search for a property? I find it challenging to look on the internet.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to own my property and build my dream.

Last edited by manosteel00; 02/04/11 12:17 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome to Pond Boss and congratulations on asking questions in advance. A lot of people buy property and then try to build ponds. I don't know much about your area but can give you some generalities.

1. It's OK and really good to have springs filling a pond. Those of us in arid areas envy those who have springs. HOWEVER, the problem with springs is that they can also be underground. Thus, the water level in the pond rises and falls with the water table that creates the springs. It's a catch 22 and generally should be avoided. I would stay away from creeks. They can overflow in heavy rains and make a mess or worse. They also bring in unwanted species of fish and other water dwellers.

2. Nothing at all unreasonable about wanting/getting 10 acres out of 75 to 100 acres. However, it all depends on the topography of the land. Most ponds are filled by runoff from the adjacent land. You can't build a pond on top of a hill but too much runoff can be a real mess. If the runoff comes from a neighbors land, he could make changes to his property that eliminates or cuts down on your runoff.

3. Good question but it all depends on your goals. Neighbors make a huge difference as do good roads. The right soil mixture is important for pond building and enjoyment of your investment. If you like to hunt that might be a different purchase than if you don't. However, even non hunters generally enjoy wildlife that comes with the property.

4 Strip mines CAN be OK. However, they usually have steep sides and most of us prefer to be able to enjoy some shallow water also. Smaller fish need cover to hide in until they can grow some and most species need water of 5 ft or less for nest building. The real problem with strip mines is that they stay filled by sub soil aquifers which, like a spring, can vary in depth due to water levels.

5. Danged if I know but a really good rural real estate sales pro can make a huge difference. The problem is that their job is to sell the property and you're not the one paying them.

I would highly recommend contacting the Pond Boss Office and buying Lusks book "Perfect Ponds; Want one?". It will give you an invaluable head start on answering the appropriate questions that you are asking.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/04/11 06:36 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Greetings!
You are wise in doing your due diligence BEFORE buying land. "Perfect Pond, Want One?" is exactly what you need. It will take you through many different decisions, not only about how to build a pond, but what to look for in the land as well.

Here are my thoughts about your questions.

1)Springs are okay but I wouldn't necessarily make it a requirement. Most ponds around the country are built by damming up a creek. some are excavated, like strip mines. The site dictates the type of pond. Part of your due diligence is learning about subsoils. You need clay.

2)Depends on the land. I've seen a few 15 acre tracts that support a 10 acre lake. I've seen 75 acre tracts that would support an acre pond. It depends on the availability of water and soil types. Start there.

3)That's a long list...from availability of electricity to proximity to home to the general neighborhood, availability of emergency services. But, strictly thinking about a pond or lake, you need good clay and rain. The shorter distance the dirt is moved, the less it costs. These are simple thoughts about what can become a complex process, but it's a good place to start.

4)If you can find strip mines that hold water, look at them. They can be great. Test the water. Some strip mines have acidic water that can be a bit of a headache to manage.

5)Zero in on a handful of areas where you would like to buy and contact local realtors. Tell them what you want and the price range you are looking to spend and let them do what they do.

One other tip...write down your goals. The better you quantify what you want, the better the chance you'll find it. You are a perfect example of why we wrote the "Perfect Pond..."

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, I will pick up the book. My plan is to use the dirt that's excavated to build a three sided berm for a shooting range so hopefully that will lower some of the costs of moving it.

F
F
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

5. Danged if I know but a really good rural real estate sales pro can make a huge difference. The problem is that their job is to sell the property and you're not the one paying them.

Re: Realtor...Tell an agent exactly what your requirements are. If he/she doesn't show you properties that fit then .........no sale......then how does he get paid? If he does show you a property that meets all your needs(his job) and you happen to close on it, take a look at the closing statement(HUD1) and guess who pays him?? YOU!

BTW Superman! Welcome to PB and this post is in no way an attempt to contradict DD1 or make any kind of judgement about Realtors,its just that I have bought/sold many properties over the years and its a very rare occurance when the seller pays anything other than the rare "concession". Good Luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by findfoolfight; 02/04/11 09:30 AM.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
manosteel00 the two sites below should
be fun for you to browse looking for land.

They have sites for almost every state.
I often have fun looking at Texas
properties on the LandsOfTexas site.

Just click on the links below and
choose the cities that are close to
the areas you have an interest in.

LandsOfIlliniois

LandsOfWisconsin

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
FFF, things must be different in your area than mine regarding real estate. In Texas, the seller always pays, not the buyer. I have land for sale now and, if sold, will cost me 6% of the selling price.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
manosteel00....

I am no expert and I am sure it varies greatly from
state to state & property to property...but from
what I have learned it appears that having a nice
pond/lake built by a professional is going to cost
between $6000-$7500 per acre of lake.

So a nice 10 acre lake built by a professional with
a dam/spillway done correctly could cost you $60K-$75K.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

M
OP Offline
M
That works well. I'm thinking of buying a 150-200k property and then doing the lake build/home in the mortgage payment if possible.

C
C
Originally Posted By: manosteel00
That works well. I'm thinking of buying a 150-200k property and then doing the lake build/home in the mortgage payment if possible.

Banks are looking at land loans a lot differently than years ago. I remember when i was 20 (9 years ago), i bought a lake parcel for 10% down. A lot of banks now are requiring 20-35% down. That includes if you want to build, because the value of your house is less than what you owe by the time you are done, due in fact because the ammount of available inventory currently on the market. I have been in real estate since i was 19, going on 11 years now and things have changed alot.

Sorry for the long winded response, just would hate to see you find your ideal spot and then have issues with bank lending

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM