Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,790
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,509
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, canyoncreek, Augie, ArkieJig, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O), 961 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2304 10/11/06 07:57 PM
N
NHooper Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have 40 sq acres and I wish to build a small lake. The Forestery Service was out today to evaluate the timber that I'm going to remove.

I have not contacted any government agency yet about building this lake. When the timber and underbrush is removed that will be my next step.

Until them, I was hoping you guys might take a look at this topo map and give me your opinions.

The red lines are the property lines of the 40 acres. The creek runs from the west, goes half-way across the property then it forks and becomes two creeks.

Thanks bunches,
Nancy (long time reader)

photobucket

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Nancy, no need in welcoming you aboard...you've been around longer than I!

I'm not too versed in reading the topo maps, however, I have a sense of how they work. If I'm seeing it correctly, your plot is in a gradual merging of valleys with two streams meeting to form one.

Is that correct?

I also wonder if there might be anything more detailed.

Also, there's another early PB member from Hartselle.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nancy, can you get one with elevations? It looks kinda flat without a lot of relief.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
NHooper Offline OP
OP Offline
N
TopoZone and Terraserver both have the same topo maps.

Took a trip to the county USDA, Soil Conservation, and NRCS.......Got the same map from them. Thought they would have a more detailed map, guess not.

The creek runs along what they call the bottoms. On each side of the creek is sloping land. When my farther was alive he did farm those bottoms with corn.

The creek coming onto my property from the west is called Brock Branch. Both sides of this branch are sloped with very good rise. Spring rains will take this branch out of its banks and the bottoms will be three feet deep in water. The water drains quickly leaving the land to soft for plowing until late into the spring.

Where the creek “Y’s”, or separates is called Shoal Creek. The north section of Shoal creek runs out the east side of the 40. The south section of Shoal creek runs out the south-east corner of the 40.

The Hay field is on flat HIGH ground that slopes 45 degrees down to the creeks. On the north side of the property is timber and undergrowth. When I was a child my farther grew cotton on the north side. This is where I’m going to clear most of the trees. This slopes 45 degrees into the creek and bottoms.

The interior red lines are where I wish I could make the lake. I could use the soil removed from the lake bed (there will be plenty) and push it to the east and southeast. I’m thinking that as long as I provide REALLY good spill ways back into the creeks beds this would work.

I want the land entering into the lake from the west to be wetlands for the geese and ducks. The land to the east of the lake would also be wetlands and help slow the water leaving the spill way before it leaves my property.

I understand that I will need the NRCS to help with this and will contact them when the trees are cleared.

Thanks
Nancy

Photobucket

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like the idea of damming where you have put the interior red lines. That way you would retain all of the water before it splits. What is the approximate drop and can you build enough dam to control the water? Also, is the runoff area dependable? Meaning is there a likelihood of someone damming above you?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM