Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump esshup Yesterday at 02:47 AM
The tanks could have stayed full, but with the pumps and wands, that 's a good idea. I keep the pole barn at 36 degrees just so things don't freeze. (like the coolant system on the TIG welder).
3 101 Read More
Re: Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump FishinRod Yesterday at 02:07 AM
Thanks esshup.

I thought discretion was the better part of valor. Drained all of the water, brought all of the pumps, wands, etc. into the house.

My wife gave me the stink-eye for that!

However, equipment failure is not an option on either primaries or backups when doing a burn.
3 101 Read More
Re: Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump esshup Yesterday at 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Loaded up all of my fire suppression gear for a burn tomorrow. I have filled all of my tanks and tested all of my pumps.

However, the forecast has changed and we are going to have a hard freeze tonight (23F).

I have several ATV sprayer tanks in my arsenal that have 12V electric diaphragm pumps. These are the same type of pumps typically used for pressurizing the water delivery lines in RVs.

Does anyone know if these pumps will suffer freeze damage if I drain the water from the outlet side - but there is still water on the inlet side? (I am not worried about damage to my tanks since I leave a little air gap and it is currently 43F.)

Would a wiser man go out and drain everything and then re-fill everything again in the morning?

Thanks, FishinRod

I would either bring them inside where they won't freeze, drain them 100% or suck RV anti-freeze through them. Don't forget the spray wand, I've had the part that you hold in your hand where the trigger attaches crack when it froze.......

I just run RV anti-freeze through mine until it sprays pink and I put them away for the winter.
3 101 Read More
Re: Water flow through various culverts cb100 Yesterday at 12:55 AM
Thanks for the information I figured that was the case. I have plenty of room to go up it is a creek crossing I could go up eight feet and not have a problem
8 238 Read More
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy Chris Steelman 03/26/24 11:43 PM
I’m placing an order for a pallet of Optimal Bluegill food this year. Price is $50/bag. Pickup is available in Fort Worth, TX. Let me know if you would like a bag.

25 Bags are available as of right now.
1 98 Read More
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump FishinRod 03/26/24 11:31 PM
Loaded up all of my fire suppression gear for a burn tomorrow. I have filled all of my tanks and tested all of my pumps.

However, the forecast has changed and we are going to have a hard freeze tonight (23F).

I have several ATV sprayer tanks in my arsenal that have 12V electric diaphragm pumps. These are the same type of pumps typically used for pressurizing the water delivery lines in RVs.

Does anyone know if these pumps will suffer freeze damage if I drain the water from the outlet side - but there is still water on the inlet side? (I am not worried about damage to my tanks since I leave a little air gap and it is currently 43F.)

Would a wiser man go out and drain everything and then re-fill everything again in the morning?

Thanks, FishinRod
3 101 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers needed esshup 03/26/24 09:24 PM
ewest, I didn't know that either.
20 741 Read More
Re: 1 year after stocking question esshup 03/26/24 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Requa
5-8” Channel Catfish
2 ½-3 ½” Native Bluegill
2 ½-3 ½” Hybrid Specklebelly
2-4” Largemouth Bass

Thanks.

What's the fishery goal for the pond?
8 304 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Yellow Perch Spawn 2024 azteca 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hello.

It's coming, my water is at 40f.

On April 1, 2012 it was at 42f.
A+
10 695 Read More
New Forum Member Introduction Jump to new posts
Re: A Pond in Pa. ? FishinRod 03/26/24 06:49 PM
Welcome to Pond Boss!
1 104 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: Pond Help in Bradford County Pa. ? Dan H 03/26/24 06:28 PM
Hey Buddy a big thanks ! I'll look into that !

Dan
2 118 Read More
Show off your catch Jump to new posts
AN Overlooked Pond ! Dan H 03/26/24 06:22 PM
A lot of people ride right by this pond ! Thanks for watching
0 74 Read More
Re: 1 year after stocking question ewest 03/26/24 06:17 PM
Until you know what is currently alive and a guess at numbers then you are shooting in the dark.

FHM won't hurt but may be a waste of $. I would wait to see what spawns and go from there.
8 304 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers needed ewest 03/26/24 05:59 PM
Did not know this - wish someone would have posted sooner.
20 741 Read More
Re: Pond Help in Bradford County Pa. ? jludwig 03/26/24 05:00 PM
Drew Hays is listed in the Pond Boss Resource Guide but they may be on the other side of the state as I am not familiar with Pennsylvania geography.

https://www.pondboss.com/Resources?lid=317&lci=36
2 118 Read More
Re: 1 year after stocking question Requa 03/26/24 04:48 PM
5-8” Channel Catfish
2 ½-3 ½” Native Bluegill
2 ½-3 ½” Hybrid Specklebelly
2-4” Largemouth Bass
8 304 Read More
A Pond in Pa. ? Dan H 03/26/24 04:27 PM
Hi my name is Dan and I love the outdoors .I've hunting , fishing , camping , well just about anything outdoors since I was able to walk . I love all the talk about ponds and the outdoors on this site .On my bucket list is to have a pond of my own. I have a piece of property in Pa. that I love .The only thing missing is a pond ! Looking forward to sharing experiences !

Dan
1 104 Read More
Re: Water flow through various culverts esshup 03/26/24 04:12 PM
Like others have said, bigger is better, a single 24" will flow more water than two 12's. 12" = 113 sq. in, 24" = 452 sq in.

The county had that problem here on one of their roads. They dug the culverts out. formed a big rectangle out of concrete for a culvert and put the road back over the top of it.

Also, what the culvert is made from will influence flow rate too. Smooth walls on a culvert will flow more than a heavily ribbed wall culvert.
8 238 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers needed esshup 03/26/24 03:58 PM
Thanks for the update. Prayers are continuing for his recovery and for his family to stay strong.
20 741 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers needed FishinRod 03/26/24 03:58 PM
Thanks for the update Al.

Also glad you told Todd that he has an additional prayer/support group beyond the ones that he has closer to home! Every little bit helps.
20 741 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan FishinRod 03/26/24 03:55 PM
I meant just a deep hole (lined or unlined) right at your drain outlet.

It serves two purposes. You can draw down your water and concentrate all of your fish in the sump. That way it is easy for you to pick good broodstock to save, sample the sizes of your fish, select for males or females, etc.

The other purpose is to collect the junk that will get in your pond specifically to pi$$ you off and clog your drain. With a sump installed, you can start flowing some water and most of the leaves, pine needles, etc. will collect in the sump and you can more easily scoop them out to keep your drain running and clean the bottom of your pond.
22 905 Read More
Pond Help in Bradford County Pa. ? Dan H 03/26/24 03:53 PM
Hi everyone my name is Dan . I love this Web Site and hopefully will be able to contribute to it . I own 27 acres in Bradford County Pa. . I do plenty of habitat work for wildlife . But the one thing missing is a pond . It's on my bucket list before the good Lord calls me . Does anyone know of a contractor that builds ponds in the LeRaysville,Bradford County area ? Thank You and I look forward to contributing to this site !
Dan
2 118 Read More
Re: Water flow through various culverts FishinRod 03/26/24 03:49 PM
Everyone above is giving you good advice.

Based on your culvert sizes, it looks like you may be buying them at a "big box" store. I was evaluating a similar purchase and decided to calculate Price per Square inch of culvert area. In my case, the largest culverts were clearly the best deal.

Further, the work to lay and pack one 24" culvert is much less than the work to do four 12" culverts.

Finally, hydraulic calculations are very difficult, even just to acquire the proper data. However, you can "poor boy" your calculations a little bit. If the last few floods were flowing over the road in a stretch 10' wide and 6" deep, then that is another 720 sq. inches of flow you need to bypass. (Plus some extra cushion since flow through pipes is a little more restrictive than open flow.)

Two 24" culverts (452 sq. in. each) would cover that estimate.

The final problem is that the largest water flow you have witnessed, is almost certainly NOT the highest possible water event for your crossing - so you still need a little extra cushion on top of your calculations.

P.S. There is a chance that the larger culverts will not "fit" under your current road bed. In that case, look at the elliptical or "pipe arch" shapes for your application. The pipe arch shape really lets through a lot of water while minimizing your height restrictions.
8 238 Read More
Re: Carta Valley, Texas area - Questions FireIsHot 03/26/24 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
DeerTexas,

...Finally, the size of the pond is not the sole controlling factor to avoid going dry during droughts. The pond actually needs to be "right sized" for the watershed area that drains into the pond combined with the annual rainfall amount. (That is only the first approximation. The slope of the land, cover vegetation, soil type and permeability, and several other factors are also important.) If your pond is too small for your drainage area, then a big rain can blow out your dam. If your pond is too large, then it will only be full during the peak of the rainy season, and will be low or dry during drought periods...

I'm not familiar with the Del Rio area, but I have spent some time in the Rio Grande/LaJitas area. Rod's correct about how rain can hit hard and heavy between droughts, and potentially blow out a pond. If possible, I'd avoid a slope for the pond, and try to build it on a low flat area. The same with water shed. A wide water shed can provide the same volume of water without getting pinched, and potentially causing funneled damage.
8 377 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers needed FireIsHot 03/26/24 02:47 PM
I'm sharing an update Todd posted last night.

"Thank you to all who have donated, or prayed for me, or shared the link. I am so fortunate to have this overwhelming support from friends and family, and I thank God for it, and I intend to pay this forward somehow in the future.

I started my first immunotherapy treatment today. The doctor spent another hour with me, going through successful cases comparable to my own, where he achieved complete molecular remission with this revolutionary approach. The goal is to rebuild my natural immune system, which has been tested and is currently not functional due to chemo/radiation/cancer/stress. The doc intends to combine this immunotherapy approach with a targeted drug, check my progress on the regular, make adjustments, and lead me towards complete healing. Could take a long time because of my current condition.

Please continue to pray for me. God Bless You All !!"
20 741 Read More
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??