Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Chucks Landscape, hijklm031495, Dalton Dowdy, Shannon Luthi, SJH-IN-SEK
15123 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15124 Members
36 Forums
34960 Topics
478135 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24014
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19075
Dave Davidson1 13172
Theo Gallus 12337
Who's Online
15 registered (RER, Daniel Powell, TGW1, 4CornersPuddle, Bordersgent, liquidsquid, Finnbear, Bing, rjackson, Theo Gallus, Flame, wbuffetjr, c.j., Chris Steelman, slabman98), 97 Guests and 396 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Building a dam
Jump to new posts Core trench depth?? by Bordersgent @ 10 minutes 38 seconds ago

Hey all, I have a core trench depth question... Soon will be building a 1 acre pond on roughly 8 percent slope, so it will be fairly long and narrow. I am very familiar with the construction process, but would like clarification on trench depth. Se
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Today at 12:52 AM

I don't use Tilapia - I don't have FA issues - the little FA growth I have I remove manually and re-purpose as mulch and potting medium. Also...I believe they are illegal in NE - just not worth the hassle for me for the potential upside.
Building a dam
Jump to new posts Re: New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo. by Bobbss @ Yesterday at 11:46 PM

Well with the few small rains and snows we got the last part of Dec. and first part of Jan., it had my pond back up to about as high as it was after the first and only half way good rain I had since my pond was finished 5 months ago.A lot of that fir
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by Daniel Powell @ Yesterday at 11:18 PM

Awesome info Bill. I spoke with the owner about harvest rates last week and mentioned that it was going to be a big job to keep the pond numbers in check once we get to that point. I didn't know the exact numbers but it makes sense that the more you
Types of fish to choose
Jump to new posts Re: Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes by Bobbss @ Yesterday at 11:08 PM

I got back on the websites of some of the fish farms I was condidering and at least one of them has pellet feed fish.
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by beastman @ Yesterday at 10:01 PM

Valid points , do not want them taking up so much of the carrying capacity. While managing a smaller pond is easier I don't want to spend my time culling a bunch of BG. My mix right now is going well , if I need to adjust by culling or feed rate I wi
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by Flame @ Yesterday at 09:31 PM

My pond is 2 acres and I feed 50 pounds about every 3 weeks. Probably feed 48 weeks a year. Maybe around 15 bags a year at about $32 a bag. I know I spend between $500-$600 a year on just feed for 2 acre pond. My aeriation costs me $30 a month to ope
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Facebook Live Wednesday evening by Bill Cody @ Yesterday at 09:28 PM

In addition to my post above. Introducing fish for forage is usually only a short term solution. There is probably a reason for the scarcity of forage fish. If you do not improve habitat conditions stocking with forage fish will only temporarily inc
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 08:53 PM

Strongly advise against BG stocking, will be an ever present management issue for you down the road and they'll take up significant biomass in your carrying capacity equation since you lack predators with gape capability to effectively manage BG popu
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by Bill Cody @ Yesterday at 08:47 PM

With 66 acres of water you may not or should not have to feed pellets to grow big or quality fish. This is a very good topic and lesson for forum discussion. Two items of several things or topics have a big influence here. 1. Pond fertility. Even w
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by beastman @ Yesterday at 08:47 PM

Yes, almost all fishing is done with light tackle which makes for a good fight on all the species but the larger HSB can make it tough for the kids to bring in if the drag isn't set right. HBG growing well and easy for kids to catch. What I have been
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by snrub @ Yesterday at 08:30 PM

I have heard Bill Cody say that anything over ten pounds per acre per day is asking for water quality problems. On 66 acres that is over a ton of feed every 4 days. Better have deep pockets and lots of spare time to fill feeders. And probably a bulk
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by snrub @ Yesterday at 08:21 PM

You do not have to feed the whole lake. Just set up one to five feeders in strategic locations and feed specific areas of the lake. I don't use a feeder but the guys that do can give you an idea of how much feed they run through each feeder per year.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Facebook Live Wednesday evening by Daniel Powell @ Yesterday at 08:05 PM

Hey Bob, I see the subject changed since my email. Feel free to hold off on my questions until you get into water quality or vegetation subjects at a later date. Looking forward to this one as well!
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by Daniel Powell @ Yesterday at 07:59 PM

What is the consensus on feeding rates for large ponds? Personally thinking about 66 acres with around 50% shallow "panfish" water. Some of the numbers here are scaring me!
Feeding
Jump to new posts Re: What is your monthly feeding rate? by Dave Davidson1 @ Yesterday at 07:32 PM

I feed 3 times per day , 15 seconds per time. Not sure what amt. or cost that is.
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 07:30 PM

Good idea...this rings a bell now...good numbers for high angler catch rates. You're right mortality of HSB can be high esp with younger anglers and light tackle or caught during high temp season. Even I lost a few through the years, thus NO FISHIN
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by beastman @ Yesterday at 06:40 PM

Thanks TJ- plan to add aeration in the Spring. You had recommended the following for a heavily fished pond / pellet fed but not trying to grow trophies: looking for high catch rates Per 1 acre 50-100 SMB 25-50 HSB 500-750 HBG 250 RES 150-350 YP S
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: aztecaHello. Wow nice smallmouth bass, I would like to know if they use the bed you made for them, and if you have lots of young smallmouth bass. A+ Hi Azteca: I have fashioned elevated spawning beds for SMB in a recruitmen
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat WilliamsonOriginally Posted By: teehjaeh57Does anyone have any questions? Happy to help address anything. T. How long did it take grow the crappie and were they your original stockers? PS beautiful fish! Hi Pat...the c
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 05:09 PM

TJ -Those are Awesome!Do you keep fishing pressure low on these ponds? Very light pressure except occasional fly casting to keep my trout fishing skills honed - I am in full management mode from ice out to ice up. This helps the solid angling exper
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by teehjaeh57 @ Yesterday at 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: SunilAre you reproducing Walleye? Are you on any kind of culling program for SMB, YP, or BG? So far no evidence of WE recruitment, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise for a small, clay-lined pond. I ladder stock WE e
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Facebook Live Wednesday evening by Bill Cody @ Yesterday at 04:42 PM

Pond Boss, work into the Wednesday night Facebook Live broadcast: Pond owners,,,, don't forget when you see a need to restock some fish, ask yourself why is the fishery in decline? What is causing the problem? What is out of balance causing a need fo
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Toxicity of Yellow perch eggs. by DonoBBD @ Yesterday at 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: RAHHave you seen the ducks eat the eggs or just found the egg ribbons destroyed? So after the mallard has bread the males hang out together. This is when I have seen them eat the eggs. The ribbon is not destroyed but complet
Show off your catch
Jump to new posts Re: 2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos by azteca @ Yesterday at 03:42 PM

Hello. Wow nice smallmouth bass, I would like to know if they use the bed you made for them, and if you have lots of young smallmouth bass. A+
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Today's Birthdays
jimmy s.
Recent Posts
Core trench depth??
by Bordersgent
9 minutes 37 seconds ago
2018 Pond Boss Family Fishing Photos
by teehjaeh57
Today at 12:52 AM
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by Bobbss
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
What is your monthly feeding rate?
by Daniel Powell
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Stocking Plan,Possibly Using Advance Sizes
by Bobbss
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Facebook Live Wednesday evening
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
Toxicity of Yellow perch eggs.