Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lou Schaufele, JCWDUCK, !#!#!#!, Matt1414, BobMoff
15656 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15657 Members
36 Forums
36032 Topics
490240 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19539
Dave Davidson1 13567
Bill Cody 12473
Who's Online
8 registered (bigpullerman, JCWDUCK, Mfitzs70, MOFishermen, Keaton72, Shorty, Dave Davidson1, TGW1), 90 Guests and 459 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Property Projects & Construction
Jump to new posts Re: New pond construction diary by Keaton72 @ Today at 04:33 AM

No real updates as of yet but here are some pictures of the proposed site. The aerial image is of a 1/4 acre pond.
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations
Jump to new posts Re: Fish scale for figuring out relative weight ratio by teehjaeh57 @ Today at 01:42 AM

I use digital food scales - cost around $15 at any big box store. I use a colander on top to hold the fish. These food scales are great when I am targeting panfish WR measurements.
Jump to new posts Fish scale for figuring out relative weight ratio by TucknDucks @ Yesterday at 10:54 PM

I was planning on trying to assess some of the fish population in my pond. I was wanting to determine the relative weight. I do not have a scale at this time but went to the local Walmart to look for one. They did have digital scales but they were f
Selecting a site
Jump to new posts Re: New Pond - Starting Construction by ewest @ Yesterday at 10:54 PM

See this link. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this! by ewest @ Yesterday at 10:48 PM

I don't believe generalizations like that. The operative part is "old" not "big". Plenty of evidence that big fish keep growing until old age or lack of food intervenes. I have seen 4 yr old 10 lb LMB that kept their size or grew
Renovating a Pond or Lake?
Jump to new posts Re: Fall feeding by anthropic @ Yesterday at 10:31 PM

Mozambique TP are legal in Texas, but I think all TP are banned in Louisiana.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this! by dhadam @ Yesterday at 10:30 PM

Two years ago I caught "Betsy," my largest female at 4 3/4 pounds in the Northeast Ohio area. I marked her and caught her 4 more times over the next 2 years and noted her weight dropping each time. Finally she perished on the last go round
Jump to new posts Re: RESxGSF hybrid by snrub @ Yesterday at 08:52 PM

Thanks Bill, I appreciate that comment. Most people are not that interested in the hybrids or specific hybrids, but I figure since I have them and kind of enjoy messing with them if anyone is interested in the future it is not that hard to document t
Jump to new posts Re: Fall feeding by Mike Whatley @ Yesterday at 07:12 PM

You'll also need to find out if tilapia are legal where you are. Here in Louisiana, especially southern, they are not allowed due to reproduction issues and the potential for escaping into the local waterways. They are allowed in most northern states
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Carp problem help by Bill Cody @ Yesterday at 05:20 PM

Keep us advised as to your success of removing carp. Here is a summary of a new method presented at the North American Lake Management Society annual meeting (Oct29-Nov02 2018, Cincinnati OH) authored by researchers in MN of baiting and trapping of
Jump to new posts Re: RESxGSF hybrid by Bill Cody @ Yesterday at 05:15 PM

Snrub You have some great pictures of GSFXRES hybrids. Thanks for taking time to make those pictures and your work with these fish. It will be interesting to see the growth characteristics of these hybrids. Good work!
Jump to new posts Re: Fall feeding by anthropic @ Yesterday at 03:35 PM

TP work well on FA, I've found. Also they convert useless algae into protein to feed your other fish. Of course, they only last a season in Texas, but then the same is true of a chemical treatment.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: What are the chances? by tim k @ Yesterday at 02:50 PM

good idea - I will check - thanks
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: What are the chances? by snrub @ Yesterday at 12:36 PM

From what I have read GC are more likely to go with the flow than some other fish. I have had one large one that I know of go over the overflow. Can you check in the grass for one stranded or remains? Or would it connect with other waters?
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this! by Shorty @ Yesterday at 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TGW1Bob Lusk says moving large lmb to a new place they will not adapt and lose weight. Some do adapt, some don't.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts What are the chances? by tim k @ Yesterday at 10:26 AM

I stocked 10 grass carp in my pond a month ago. WIth all the rain I had water flow into my pond and over the spillway - not a huge amount over but it did flow over. I know bass typically hand tight but will carp or do they swim with the flow?
Jump to new posts Re: Fall feeding by Papa Bear @ Yesterday at 09:55 AM

I don't know how to post a new thread and this question seems close to mine. I didn't see there are any responses, but that may be me not knowing how to see them. I have a five acre pond, should be around 20 deep in the middle. Stocked 40+ yrs ago wi
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this! by Dave Davidson1 @ Yesterday at 07:31 AM

I guess it makes sense. Huge fish are going to generally be senior citizens. Stress can certainly take a toll on the body.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this! by TGW1 @ Yesterday at 07:28 AM

I seem to remember when TA&M was working hand in hand with the TP&W researching LMB back in the 80's and 90's. Lake Fork and the fish in the lake were studied. I read where they would catch a large lmb(can't remember the sizes but they were
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: State record Green Sunfish one day maybe... by Dave Davidson1 @ Yesterday at 07:27 AM

John, a gsf is a mutt. How do you get a pure mutt? I have no idea how to identify whether it is a gen1.
Questions & Observations
Here is a GSF I caught tonight out of my main 3 acre pond. At least I think it is pure GSF. I have read (probably on this forum) that GSF hybridize so easily that it may be hard to actually find pure GSF populations.
Jump to new posts Re: RESxGSF hybrid by snrub @ 10/20/18 11:33 PM

My forage pond is only 1/20th acre and very fertile. Every fall I reduce the biomass so the remaining fish will make it through the winter well and have room to grow the next spring. I accomplish this by trapping, angling and cast net over a period
Building a dam
Jump to new posts Re: A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish by snrub @ 10/20/18 10:59 PM

Well the sun came out and the fish were biting in this RES/SMB pond for a few minutes. Then they started ignoring me again. Caught three in a few minutes then nothing for the next hour. Oh well. Water is so clear I can see lots and lots of 4-6"
Building a dam
Jump to new posts Re: A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish by Bill Cody @ 10/20/18 08:47 PM

I suspect the larger bed was originally a SMB bed that was likely reused by a RES and then other RES made a couple beds near the large bed.
Building a dam
Jump to new posts Re: A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish by snrub @ 10/20/18 08:23 PM

I don't know for sure they are. They just seem to be larger than the other beds I was able to see RES on so i was making an assumption. Could be wrong. During the spring when the SMB woukd have spawned I could not see these beds because water was no
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Today's Birthdays
vein, wayner
Recent Posts
New pond construction diary
by Keaton72
04:33 AM
Fish scale for figuring out relative weight ratio
by teehjaeh57
01:42 AM
New Pond - Starting Construction
by ewest
10:54 PM
Lunker trauma! Sure didn't know this!
by ewest
10:48 PM
Fall feeding
by anthropic
10:31 PM
RESxGSF hybrid
by snrub
08:52 PM
Carp problem help
by Bill Cody
05:20 PM
What are the chances?
by tim k
02:50 PM
State record Green Sunfish one day maybe...
by Dave Davidson1
07:27 AM
A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish
by snrub
10/20/18 10:59 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond
CNBG
My Best Longear so far

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide