Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Parabola, Micro, john1947, SlabSeeker, wannapond0001
15705 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15706 Members
36 Forums
36160 Topics
492209 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19625
Dave Davidson1 13633
Bill Cody 12556
Who's Online
4 registered (wbuffetjr, sprkplug, Theo Gallus, roundy), 82 Guests and 428 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Renovating a Pond or Lake?
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by anthropic @ Today at 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: wannapond0001Does look nice. I should get me some land with a pond. That way I don't have to build one. Building your own pond is like building your own house. It's a blast, but a major pain when you make mistakes -- and yo
Property Projects & Construction
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do at your pond today? by anthropic @ Today at 01:07 AM

That's interesting, Tracy. I haven't seen my beaver in months, nor fallen grass or gnawed trees. Wonder if it headed for greener pastures? I'm feeding the Optimal Bass pellets and get a pretty good response on sunny warm (highs above 55) days, mos
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Current PB article !!! by anthropic @ Today at 12:58 AM

Outstanding post. The stark difference between my forage pond bloom (viz usually around 10 inches) and my main BOW (rarely less than 36 inches, averaging around 42), shows that even with virtually identical soil & location, things are NOT the sa
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by anthropic @ Yesterday at 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TGW1Ha! I wished I had a forage pond that did not muddy up real bad after rain events. Just the opposite of yours Frank, too much water. I have seen Franks place from the drive up area, it is a good looking lake for sure. I
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by anthropic @ Yesterday at 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: snrubI wish my forage pond had enough elevation to drain into my main pond. Not enough elevation variation to do that in most places around me. Mostly gentle slopes. On the other hand I am glad it is that way. If the property
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by anthropic @ Yesterday at 11:21 PM

Good advice, Eric. Also I have plants (Am Pondweed, chara, cattails, pickerelweed) in main pond, but nothing in forage pond. Between fish & plants, likely large BOW has tied up nutrients that are available to plankton in forage pond.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: TP in Mid East OH this spring? by ewest @ Yesterday at 09:22 PM

SARC - Fact Sheet In monosex growout ponds under good temperature regimes, males generally reach a weight of 1/2 pound (200 + grams) in 3 to 4 months, 1 pound (400 + grams) in 5 to 6 months, and 1.5 pounds (700 grams) in 8 to 9 months. To produce 1-
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by ewest @ Yesterday at 09:10 PM

Based on that info my guess is that the 2 are similar and the differences you see are a result of your forage in the big pond harvesting plankton and changing it into fish biomass. you should check the alkalinity in the forage pond. A good idea is to
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by anthropic @ Yesterday at 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ewestIs the dirt/bottom of the forage pond the same as the big pond? If so then the water productivity should be similar. Likely the big pond is having the plankton converted to fish biomass as noted by jpsdad. I would try the
Controlling unwanted plants
Jump to new posts 2,4-D application for American Lotus by squeeky @ Yesterday at 06:37 PM

I'm wanting to use a 2,4-D Amine formulation to treat American Lotus in a 3 acre pond. Only the back shallow areas (about 1 acre) are infested with the weed, and I was hoping that I could treat only that area next spring. It's my understanding that t
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Fall Observations by liquidsquid @ Yesterday at 04:27 PM

Of interest, we has a heavy rain a couple of weeks ago when it got warm out suddenly, it quickly melted off the ice. What was cool is the warm, muddy rainwater "floated" on the top foot or two, and everything below was clear and cold. The m
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Current PB article !!! by ewest @ Yesterday at 04:02 PM

Great article by Dave Beasley in the new PB issue. Good discussion piece - suggest everyone read it. Thinking Past the Obvious "Waterbodies are complex, and as one variable shifts it influences another, which influences another." "
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by ewest @ Yesterday at 03:29 PM

Is the dirt/bottom of the forage pond the same as the big pond? If so then the water productivity should be similar. Likely the big pond is having the plankton converted to fish biomass as noted by jpsdad. I would try the TFS and see the results. Y
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: Fall Observations by Quarter Acre @ Yesterday at 03:03 PM

Just some recent events I wanted to document... I received some rain a couple weeks ago that must of come down in a short period of time because the overflow pipe was really letting the water out. This rain muddied the pond up pretty bad. Secchi r
Pond Boss
Jump to new posts Re: Ice Fishing on Bremer Pond by the stick @ Yesterday at 02:14 PM

Mmmmmmmm Hamms! It is an old saying about the kapon, but I thought someone would like it.
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations
Jump to new posts Re: My pond full of outcast by bigpullerman @ Yesterday at 10:54 AM

Some good Ideas on forage ponds. I don't think with the way my ground is that I would be able to make one but I am doing some thinking about it. I would have a lot of trees to deal with and have to have a good source of water. I might could do someth
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by BrianL @ Yesterday at 10:38 AM

First, you have to know what you are starting with, and where you want to be at some point in the future. Get with someone Like Bob Lusk to develop a plan to get you where you want to be on your budget.
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by Zep @ Yesterday at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the additional pics Parabola. I feel much better about your new property seeing the trees along the shoreline. Gosh looks like some great bodies of water. Have you had a chance to run a depth finder over the big lake to see how deep it is?
Property Projects & Construction
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do at your pond today? by TGW1 @ Yesterday at 10:24 AM

I sat up on the hill next to the pond with my 22 mag waiting on the Otter that is feeding at the pond. Set another conibar trap and plan on setting another. I don't like River Otters and or Beavers at my place! I watched the feeders go off and the
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by wannapond0001 @ Yesterday at 10:17 AM

Does look nice. I should get me some land with a pond. That way I don't have to build one.
Creating habitat
Jump to new posts Re: Using tarp for structure? by TGW1 @ Yesterday at 10:14 AM

Al, that is a good idea using tarps for cover. Makes my mind think of what all you might do with your plan of tarp plants. Haha! And what all might be done with your ideas. I THINK ITS FUN MAKING COVER FROM STUFF LAYING AROUND!
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by TGW1 @ Yesterday at 10:00 AM

Ha! I wished I had a forage pond that did not muddy up real bad after rain events. Just the opposite of yours Frank, too much water. I have seen Franks place from the drive up area, it is a good looking lake for sure.
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by TGW1 @ Yesterday at 09:55 AM

Great looking ! I would suggest you get in touch with Bob Lusk, this is his place along with his Magazine that you can also get here. Since you are new to all this lake and pond stuff, you might need a good pond guy to get you started toward your g
Jump to new posts Re: Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit by wbuffetjr @ Yesterday at 08:10 AM

Looks like lots of very cool possibilities. Please keep us updated! So many people never come back to tell anymore of their story.
Questions & Observations
Jump to new posts Re: How much do TFS change the fishing? by snrub @ Yesterday at 07:46 AM

I wish my forage pond had enough elevation to drain into my main pond. Not enough elevation variation to do that in most places around me. Mostly gentle slopes. On the other hand I am glad it is that way. If the property had more slope I would need
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Today's Birthdays
Greg Grimes, pplea
Recent Posts
Buying property w 228 Acre former gravel pit
by anthropic
01:16 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by anthropic
01:07 AM
Current PB article !!!
by anthropic
12:58 AM
How much do TFS change the fishing?
by anthropic
11:34 PM
TP in Mid East OH this spring?
by ewest
09:22 PM
2,4-D application for American Lotus
by squeeky
06:37 PM
A Pond Log by QA
by liquidsquid
04:27 PM
Ice Fishing on Bremer Pond
by the stick
02:14 PM
My pond full of outcast
by bigpullerman
10:54 AM
Using tarp for structure?
by TGW1
10:14 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide