Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? esshup 10 minutes ago
When culling fish according to RW, just remember that post spawn isn't a great time to do it.
24 694 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? jpsdad 14 minutes ago
Boondoggle,

Your Standard Weight chart fits the function:

SW = .0003488*Length^3.163

Assuming your length column is "B" the following formula in the second cell of the RW Average Column it would compute the SW so you wouldn't have to reference the chart and hand enter the standard weight each time.

=.0003488 * B2^3.163

The RWFish appears to compute from a formula in excel so you would be good to go..
24 694 Read More
Selecting a site Jump to new posts
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 28 minutes ago
That wasnt bad if a 7 ton will suffice I can get one 1000 a week I can take that they also have a 24 ton if that would be better just cost alot more but by the time im done im confident ill have the most expensive average pond in florida keep in mind donald trump kid rock and ted nugent have ponds here.Most expensive not nicest.
8 98 Read More
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 37 minutes ago
That sheepsfoot roller looks like it will be interesting to source thats not something i can buy at auction and use ever so often
8 98 Read More
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 40 minutes ago
Thats sure what i wanted to hear Im not a 30 year operator but do have a good bit experience on most heavy equipment mostly excavators does anyone have recommendations on size excavator and how long it would take a real operator I have my eye on a few individuals have that really want someone to rent for awhile.
8 98 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Can anyone ID these minnows? Sunil 44 minutes ago
Let's get a bump here.
1 50 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? Boondoggle 57 minutes ago
I am using this (no bass in the pond yet) but it will allow me to refer back to the fish when they were initially stocked at watch what happens to them over time. There's a tab for LMB, BG/RES, YP (my sportfish in the pond). Also created tabs for feeding, stocking, and general pond observations.

My thoughts on this are when asking you guys for help, info or opinions I would be able to provide pretty solid data as to what I did, what I am seeing or have seen recently.

I have to input (3) lines on each sheet for it to work. Length and Weight of sample fish and then find the corresponding "standard weight" for that length. RW calc populates from there. Not nearly as fancy as the one Bob shared with graphing.
24 694 Read More
Renovating a Pond or Lake? Jump to new posts
Re: Dewatering bags seeded to form berms? RogersTailgate 2 hours ago
Thanks!
8 1,394 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? jpsdad 2 hours ago
Esshup,

The percent error from interpolation of the mid points ranges from 1.4% to 0.20% for lengths between 8.5" to 22.5". The error is not large and I should have added to incorrect and wrong mathematically ... that interpolation is a practical field method with acceptable error.

I see RW as a way to confirm that individual LMB are fulfilling their genetic potential to grow in length. They are going to put excess energy to use growing their frame .... and if they consume more than that ... that will pack on RW.

The consumption required to grow a 21" 100 RW LMB growing to 22" 120 RW is roughly the same as growing a 21" 80 RW LMB to 22" 120 RW. Applying energetics, the difference in consumption is less than 2%. IOWs there may be little advantage to culling one over the other. Removing either fish should free enough forage for the surviving fish to grow at its potential.

For two fish at the same length and 2 different RWs, RW tells about their consumption over the past 12 months. A 120 RW LMB consumed 20% more than its peer at 100%. Why? Just a better competitor (but not by a lot). The average daily difference in consumption is only 0.05% more for the 120 RW LMB than the 100 RW LMB. Every few days, the 120 RW LMB ate a fish that the 100 RW LMB didn't. As long as forage is abundant, RW should be reflect that abundance with high RW. When there is a lot of variation of RW, this is a sign that forage availability is limiting growth.

Culling just on the basis of RW can work against goals. Different fish have different genetic potential for making growth increment. A slow grower by length can attain high RW and yet not have the trophy potential of its peer that put more energy into growing frame. Its important to understand age and length increment potential when culling fish.

I'm with Boondoggle's thoughts that getting a length and weight measurement that can be put in excel for posterity is a good thing. Honestly, I think that is all that is required. I don't believe waiting for poor RW as incentive to cull fish is a good management method. I think its too late and the damage is already done. To effectively manage maximum future growth (later evidenced by high RW) one must be proactive and that could require culling fish of good RW.
24 694 Read More
Renovating a Pond or Lake? Jump to new posts
Re: Dewatering bags seeded to form berms? RogersTailgate 2 hours ago
Very cool link!

Thanks.
8 1,394 Read More
Water chemistry Jump to new posts
Re: Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal? esshup 7 hours ago
Cody would be a good one to chime in about that, he's familiar with the filtering systems that they typically use in Ohio to filter pond water to make it potable water.
10 328 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? esshup 7 hours ago
But, look at the charts that are in the archives. Take LMB for example. A 22" LMB should be 5.9#, a 23" 6.8#. If a 22.5" LMB is much either side of 6.3#, how critical is that to figuring out the RW? You are looking for trends in the pond, not absolute numbers down to the 3rd decimal.

Say you have 2 different 22.5" LMB One weighs 6.3#, the other weighs 6.5# because it just recently ate a 7" BG. Will that 0.2# be enough of a weight difference to make a decision to change how the LMB are managed in the pond?

What I'm trying to say is that once you start managing ponds in the real world, it's not critical that the numbers are spot on because of all the variables that are in the pond. You are looking for trends, and the 1" weight change is fine enough of a measurement to see trends.

Please do the power function calculation on a LMB that is 22.25", 22.5" and 22.75" and list what the weights are. How much do they differentiate from the weights calculated from a linear function?
24 694 Read More
Re: pond experience needed esshup 7 hours ago
Jeez, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal.

O.K.If the clay can be moistened and rolled into a pencil shape between your palms, it's good enough to seal the pond. If not, see if you can find better clay there. Stockpile the good stuff. You will need enough to cover the whole pond bottom and sides 18"-24" thick.

Cut the sides back 3:1 or 4:1. You were absolutely correct about the slope. You should cut the bottom/slope/sides 18"/24" deeper than the finished dimension. Beg, borrow or rent a sheepsfoot roller (not a smooth barrel roller).

If you have good clay in the bottom of the pond (see above) then run the sheepsfoot roller over it and let it "walk up" off the material, then take some of the good clay that you stockpiled, spread it out 6"-8" thick all over the pond bottom/sides. Run the sheepsfoot roller over it again until it compacts it and starts to walk up out of the clay. Repeat that 3-4 times so you have an 18"-24" thick layer of clay all over the pond bottom and sides that have been sheepsfoot rolled.

If you find areas of soil that are sandy or permeable (iffy for sealing) dig them out at least 24" deep and sideways back into good material, take the stockpiled good clay and pack it into the iffy area that you dug out.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but it will be even more work if the pond isn't sealed. You will have to play with water content of the clay to get the "pencil" and then you will have to try to duplicate that moisture content when you start sheepsfoot rolling the clay.

A smooth barrel roller won't work because the layers need to be "knitted" together to hold water and stop it from traveling between the layers.

Dig it wider I think that will be easier than trying to put the dirt back and trying to compact that dirt on the steep slope. You can't put a few feet down and compact it, the lower layers won't be compacted.
8 98 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? jpsdad 10 hours ago
Originally Posted by esshup
No big issue, I just didn't understand why an excel (or similar) chart was needed because I don't use my phone or computer when in the boat. Too big of a chance of it going swimming.

I see. I wouldn't bring my computer out in the boat either. All I was trying to do was help the OP with his question. Just trying to help him accomplish what he would like to do. Never gave a thought to the unfortunate circumstance of computers going swimming. smile

Originally Posted by esshup
Getting a weight between the lines is easy. Simple math.

If only it were. The function underlying the chart is a power function. It is not linear. One will always miscalculate the interpolation if using a linear interpolation ... that is ... except for a single point between the lines where it will work. Not saying you can't do that in a pinch, but it will almost always be a "kind of artsy", incorrect, mathematically wrong way to do it.
24 694 Read More
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 10 hours ago
If someone could look and say you got got dirt just move around pack do this do that ill rent some equipment and go at it but im scared to do anything without some guidance I have the exact clay I build houses on everyday thats where most went some of it hard and like modeling clay and some is a little more sandy and should I dig wider to get slope back or put dirt in I dont have a clue Thanks
8 98 Read More
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 10 hours ago
Here pics
8 98 Read More
Re: pond experience needed jbird5986 11 hours ago
Hey Ill be a little more specific and do my best to upload pics.The first guy had the shape mostly right he just couldnt move all the dirt so he quit.The next guy wanted the dirt and kinda finished shaping hauled a bunch of dirt and ran off third guy had fairly easy gig he got whats left of dirt and 1000 dollars to finish shaping we left for a week came home to 34 or 38 hundred dollar bill and a pond with vertical walls this ended badly and violently he and I talked about the 3 to 1 being important.He either thought i was that stupid or ignored me the entire time we talked and sold all my dirt and tried to bill me for it,Pond is 350x200 and about 50 feet needed to be cut to the 3to1 instead he walked around it and dug it straight down.So now pond wont hold water he has a limp and I have trust issues.I know I have to get the slope back just not sure how to go about it.
8 98 Read More
Re: pond experience needed FishinRod 11 hours ago
Welcome to Pond Boss, Jason.

Sorry to hear about your pond!

Lots of experts on the site that can diagnose your problems from your descriptions and photos/videos.

What are your biggest problems? What is the size of your pond in surface acres (if over 1/4 acre), or in square feet if it is a smaller pond? What is the depth of your pond at the deepest point, and the depth of the bottom in the majority of the pond?

Do you own all of the rights to the pond, or do you have to work with neighbors to make any changes? Any sample of the fish species and size?
8 98 Read More
Re: Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal? FishinRod 11 hours ago
Thanks.

Any submerged plants compatible with human drinking water supply?

Or is rotting vegetation in the fall just as bad as when the algal bloom dies off?

Surely there are some state guidelines on best practices from the period before when most people got their water from a system.
10 328 Read More
pond experience needed jbird5986 12 hours ago
Hello all Iive in the Marianna fl area. I have a nightmare with a new pond and need someone with a little knowledge to look and see if I can salvage it. I can send videos or pictures to anyone who cares to see and would love to connect with someone in my area that can see it in person. Any help with this would greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jason Jones 8508410032
8 98 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: New pond middle TN: establishing food chain? Bill Cody 12 hours ago
BJ for your current planned fishery stocking, when using the correct numbers of fish stocked, you should not encounter forage fish shortages in your 1/4 ac pond. When a pond gets out of balance of fish numbers is when growth rates of fish are slow. Your current plan without feeding pellets is for a "good" fishing pond (not focused on developing lunkers), AND a fun swimming hole that visiting family/kids will enjoy. Good swimming pond means doing your best for introducing fewest nutrients as possible for the natural soils where the pond is built. All nutrients that get into the pond usually results in increased algae and plant growth.

BJ Look at this UT website about the nine soil fertility regions of Tennessee. Try and figure out in which region your pond is located. This information will help determine the natural carrying capacity of fish and numbers to stock for your pond.
https://utcrops.com/soil/soil-fertility/soil-ph-and-liming/
95 6,401 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!! FireIsHot 12 hours ago
Originally Posted by Bob Lusk
Thanks, you guys! I've waited 68 years to be 69!

HB Bob.

So 69 was the target? Mine was 65 so I could get the $2 senior discount at the local all you can eat catfish restaurant.
14 219 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!! Bill Cody 13 hours ago
Happy Bday. Well you lived for another Birthday and you are starting to work towards the 69th. Reward yourself. Be well in 2024.
14 219 Read More
Re: Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations? Boondoggle Yesterday at 11:45 PM
I personally like the ability to log the info into excel so I can learn to watch the trend vs relying on my memory. I can always log the info after coming back from the pond if I scribble down some quick notes on what I did, caught and observed while at the pond.

It could be anything from fish, water temp, ambient temp, weed growth, saw a heron, ducks and geese are migrating, caught my first fish, saw fish with fungus, PH, alkalinity, turbidity, secchi disk readings, yellow perch spawning.....

My memory is faulty, and my spelling is probably worse....excel remembers everything as long as I save the data.
24 694 Read More
Re: Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal? esshup Yesterday at 11:41 PM
The plants that are marginal plants (coming up out of the water) typically don't use as much nutrients out of the water as the submerged plants.
10 328 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday