Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? Boondoggle 3 hours ago
Today was a GREAT day for the pond with the exception of a little cooler weather that rolled through. It started off with a delivery notice that the apple, peach, cherry, nectarine, and plum trees where going to be delivered and ended with planting them and adding in some yellow perch to the pond (Thanks snipe for the fish). We've been so looking forward to those coming in and hope to be good stewards of them as the years progress.
4,552 3,218,789 Read More
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Re: Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)? FishinRod 5 hours ago
I have no clue which is optimal?

When the bass are biting, I have thrown behind standing timber and caught a nice fish. Farther up the shore, thrown to a washed up tree (horizontal), and caught a nice fish. Then dragged a lure past a deadhead (branches on the bottom, trunk up at the surface on an angle) and caught a nice fish.

I think LMB are pretty sneak opportunists and will take whatever you will give them. However, I have never fished intensively managed ponds with lots of planned structure such that you could run an actual "experiment". So I am definitely a rank amateur.

Hopefully, this turns into an enlightening thread! If there is a "best" way to do this work, might as well try to get as close as we can to the standard.
1 28 Read More
Soil questions Jump to new posts
Re: Watershed or Groundwater Pond? FishinRod 5 hours ago
Excellent news!

I was worried you wouldn't even be able to get the 9-10 feet that you got. Any estimate of surface area?

Should be a fine fishery.

Did you get the sand to the "back" of the property so there is still good space for some cabins overlooking the pond?

I think all of the future projects on the property will be more enjoyable than digging out your slightly risky pond. Have fun!
13 2,801 Read More
Re: What did you do at your pond today? FishinRod 5 hours ago
Sounds like you have put in a lot of time and effort to resolve the YP recruitment issue - to no avail.

Good luck with some new YP in your pond! One of the many things I have learned on Pond Boss is that managing a pond is always aiming for a moving target.
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)? catscratch 6 hours ago
I've always thought large diameter horizontal cover is best for holding bigger bass. But, as I plan a project I'm wondering the value of vehicle habitat. What says you experts; is vertical (post) type cover going to hold bass?
1 28 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Pond needs help! Falcons_King Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by rjackson
I'm in Newnan as well. I don't know about the "new" bass you put in, but to sample the originals in that color water, you need to throw a black/blue chatterbait with matching z-craw jr. trailer. It's been producing well in this area since everything around here muddied up a few months ago from all the rain.
Small world! I will do just that and give it a try ive thrown everything but the kitchen sink at them so one more wont hurt lol
12 231 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: A modest proposal anthropic Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by ewest
A good start - if the owner and wife are on board and you want the work ,would be reduce LMB #s and add adult BG and feed them. Tilapia would be good as they might deepen the pond a bit.

Good idea! Hyacinths would still be an ongoing problem, of course, but the expense necessary to scoop them off the entire lake bottom would be dredgeful. whistle
20 795 Read More
Soil questions Jump to new posts
Re: Watershed or Groundwater Pond? Angler8689 Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Just thought I'd provide an update - the pond is dug! We dug it between Christmas and New Years. See attached pictures.

Our dragline guy stopped digging ponds so that option was out. So we ended up renting a CAT 335 excavator and an off road dump truck and dug it ourselves. Ended up the only clay we found was in our test hole (of course)...the rest was entirely sand all the way down, with a gravel vein going through the center.

Our only big challenge was the amount of groundwater continuously coming in....we had three 3" pumps running and it still wasn't enough to keep up. While I hope this will be a good thing for the pond long term, it limited the depth we could dig. I kayaked around a few weeks ago and the average depth is 9-10'. I'm guessing this is about how deep it will be come summer. Our neighbor says his pond doesn't go down more than 1-2' in summer, so hoping we're ok. We do currently have a 12-13' hole in the corner.

On to stocking this spring. Thanks for all the advice so far!.
13 2,801 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Pond needs help! esshup Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Forget about the floating rake.

This may work a wee bit better.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35775
12 231 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Hybrid Striper Stocking Frequency esshup Yesterday at 10:26 PM
I have a customer that feeds his fish whenever there isn't ice on the pond and they will eat the floating feed. He doesn't feed a lot when it's cold, just about 1/2 coffee can in a 4 acre pond. It could be the Yellow Perch that are eating most of the feed too, he's not sure.
16 2,757 Read More
Re: Rust in Small Engine Gas Tank esshup Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Look up frog lube.

Al, I'm going to look for the Rend Armor oil you mentioned. I was using a synthetic 2-stroke oil but I only have enough left to treat 2 gallons. The local marina said no matter what gas I buy, to treat it with an ethanol stabilizer because they've seen too many cases of "non-ethanol" gas have traces of ethanol in it.
10 177 Read More
Re: A modest proposal anthropic Yesterday at 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
I once saw a dope head going through withdrawal. Monitor yourself.

Thanks for the warning, my head is full of dopey ideas. laugh
20 795 Read More
Re: Hybrid Striper Stocking Frequency ewest Yesterday at 08:02 PM
Thanks for the report. Can you post pictures? In my experience that is too many HSB. Use a stocking ladder and replace what you take out + a % based on what you see. For example, 110% of harvest. The #s size chart for morts came from George and Bruce (HSB whispers) and is very well done. IMO it is a little on the cautious side (mort % are a little high) based on what I have seen.

Here is the thread which I highly recommend!

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=347977&page=1
16 2,757 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: Bladderwort problem ewest Yesterday at 07:49 PM
4 160 Read More
Re: A modest proposal ewest Yesterday at 07:45 PM
A good start - if the owner and wife are on board and you want the work ,would be reduce LMB #s and add adult BG and feed them. Tilapia would be good as they might deepen the pond a bit.
20 795 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Pond needs help! FishinRod Yesterday at 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Falcons_King
100% every fall the surface of the pond is almost completely covered in floating leaves and pine straw,

That would be the EASIEST time to get that stuff out of your pond.

I think there was a thread on that last year. Maybe add "SetterGuy" into the member box of the search parameters (if I remember correctly?)

I believe that pond owner also noted that after a few days of big winds, most of that debris would be an even thicker floating blanket right up against one bank. I think he manually cleaned out a fair bit of crap when that happened.

Got any teenage boys still around? A few hours of them throwing a floating rake for some gas money on the weekend might be an excellent investment for you!
12 231 Read More
Re: Rust in Small Engine Gas Tank FishinRod Yesterday at 07:33 PM
Thanks, esshup. I thought there was the potential for screwing up by just examining the carb, glad I asked. I think if I get the gas tank clean, then I will just test run the pump. The carb is either clean or dirty. Strong believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thanks, Al. I just did the trick of sharp gravel and hot water, shaken vigorously. That polished up about 50% of the bottom of the tank. I am doing a vinegar soak now, to remove stubborn rust. If there is varnish "protecting" the rust, then I may have to go with an acetone soak to get the varnish off before tackling the rust again.

I also appreciate the preventative advice. Paying a little bit extra to keep a modern small engine working is a small price to pay to extend the life. I cannot believe how many trees I have felled with my little Echo chainsaw running at full throttle. Other than good fluid maintenance, I just keep sharpening or repairing chains as the only mechanical "wear" problem. Incredible!

One more question after working on my trash pump. There are several rusty linkages, springs, and things like the idle adjustment screw that should NOT be rusty.

Do you guys know of a better oil-based "protectant" to spray on that type of metal that will protect it during the working year?

I generally spray on a little WD-40, but that is not designed for long term metal protection.
10 177 Read More
Re: A modest proposal Dave Davidson1 Yesterday at 07:20 PM
I once saw a dope head going through withdrawal. Monitor yourself.
20 795 Read More
Re: What did you do at your pond today? canyoncreek Yesterday at 07:20 PM
FishinRod,
I don't think the poor recruitment is due to the eggs laying on the leaves. I see no problems with silting on the leaves although in theory the underside of the strand may not get as much water movement as when they were on the branches. In the past years we had great recruitment when laid everywhere but on the branches.

I think the poor recruitment is due to many of the eggs having white spots about a week after being laid. Bill C says these are unfertilized eggs. So it is the unmanly male YP that are not chasing down the females and using their shooter to shoot milt in all directions like they did before.
Either I have less males or my males ran out of male traits. I see about 50% of eggs showing white spots as a rough estimate.

It is interesting in my pond the YP can even appear to be 'cavity spawners' They have left egg strands in the cavity of the larger soft mesh minnow traps and some skeins where draped partially in and partially outside of the entrance hole. Some were in buckets that had blow in the pond, were on their side and half full of water. One was in a plastic folgers coffee can. Some are draped around the roots of my reeds and sedges. Some are in deeper water laying on the leaves. None were draped over my pallets.

Some years I do get algae issues on the eggs and no idea why.

The last few years I have removed the eggs as soon as I saw them to see if different water conditions or water chemistry would help them hatch better. I assume they are fertilized the same night they are laid so hopefully removing them promptly in the am is OK. I have never seen YP have sex during the day. IS that possible? Is it possible that no eggs get laid or fertilized in daytime hours?

Our YP and probably their ancestors for the past 10 or more generations came from a fish farm so they probably have no idea what a branch even looks like anymore.

I'd be very interested in including new genetics. I'll ask fellow YP pond meister and MI member Ron Crismon about the YP he uses, their genetic pedigree and where he tends to find his eggs.
Re: Managing black crappie Sunil Yesterday at 05:47 PM
MnAngler, I could be wrong on this, but if you check with the State of Minnesota and are good with them, I don't you'll need to check with any local or city 'authorities.'
75 3,735 Read More
Re: Managing black crappie MnAngler Yesterday at 05:34 PM
Thank you to everyone that is willing to help/ helped out already. I'll need to contact the MN DNR most likely, as well as the city, just to be safe about stocking. Other than that, Snipe, what other paperwork would be needed to fill out? Feel free to PM me if its sensitive.

I am also a little gun-shy of stocking anything right now, due to current weather patterns. This year MN has had an extremely warm and dry winter, we've only had 1 inch of precipitation since Jan 1st. The lakes have thawed out around the Twin Cities and south of them, which is abnormal for this time of year. What concerns me though is what's to come. The current weather forecast is saying that we will be back to our average temps for this time of the year, being maybe up to 36-38 degrees F during the day, and below 20 and sometimes below 15 at night. It's predicted that it will stay like this roughly 3 weeks, which could very well put ice back on the lakes. This as well as some snow heading my way could put a damper in the project.
Snipe, should these be concerns or would it not matter?
75 3,735 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Pond needs help! rjackson Yesterday at 05:02 PM
I'm in Newnan as well. I don't know about the "new" bass you put in, but to sample the originals in that color water, you need to throw a black/blue chatterbait with matching z-craw jr. trailer. It's been producing well in this area since everything around here muddied up a few months ago from all the rain.
12 231 Read More
Re: Managing black crappie MnAngler Yesterday at 04:52 PM
Sorry for not replying for a while, school has quite the hold on my time at the moment. But Sunil, it’s not that I don’t want the LMB in the pond, I think they’re an awesome addition, they just aren’t my top priority. I do recognize that they are a big help in trying to get the lake back into shape, but I’d like other predatory species if possible, mainly walleye or saugeye after catching up with the posts.
75 3,735 Read More
Re: Rust in Small Engine Gas Tank FireIsHot Yesterday at 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by esshup
One big no-no that I've figured out is DON'T use gas that has any ethanol in it. Ethanol attracts water, and gums up a bunch of stuff. Just say NO.

Agreed!!!

I have been doing that on my chainsaw, brushcutter, and other small engines for many years.

Most of the time (after being winterized) I just put in fresh gas and oil in the spring and they start on the second pull.

In fact, I am pretty sure that avoiding ethanol in gasoline has helped me NOT be a small engine repair guy! grin
Rod, you got really good advice, so I'll try not to screw it up.

As varnish was mentioned mentioned later, my uncle had a small engine shop and he used acetone and nuts and bolts to clean out gas tanks.The nuts and bolts beat the loose rust off, and the acetone took care of the varnish. He would just walk by and shake it ever hour or so. If the liner mentioned is good, then removing the lose rust prior should help.

My motorcycle and outdoor power shops use Ethanol Shield for all gases, so that's what I use. Never once had a moisture problem with stored 100% gas. The fuller the tank, the less chance of humidity issues.

For sticks, and other 2 stock engines, Red Armor is about the best oil I can find. It's a little more expensive, but it actually does clean existing and reduce new piston and cylinder carbon. Voodoo at it's best. Echo shops should have it.
10 177 Read More
Re: Rust in Small Engine Gas Tank esshup Yesterday at 03:20 PM
Acetone to dissolve the varnish. Popping the bowl is iffy just to take a look if nothing is wrong. If you tear the gasket, where will you get a new one?
10 177 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!