Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, DON, FishinRod, 4CornersPuddle, BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24), 737 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Re: Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)? FishinRod 5 minutes ago
I have no clue which is optimal?

When the bass are biting, I have thrown behind standing timber and caught a nice fish. Farther up the shore, thrown to a washed up tree (horizontal), and caught a nice fish. Then dragged a lure past a deadhead (branches on the bottom, trunk up at the surface on an angle) and caught a nice fish.

I think LMB are pretty sneak opportunists and will take whatever you will give them. However, I have never fished intensively managed ponds with lots of planned structure such that you could run an actual "experiment". So I am definitely a rank amateur.

Hopefully, this turns into an enlightening thread! If there is a "best" way to do this work, might as well try to get as close as we can to the standard.
1 8 Read More
Soil questions Jump to new posts
Re: Watershed or Groundwater Pond? FishinRod 16 minutes ago
Excellent news!

I was worried you wouldn't even be able to get the 9-10 feet that you got. Any estimate of surface area?

Should be a fine fishery.

Did you get the sand to the "back" of the property so there is still good space for some cabins overlooking the pond?

I think all of the future projects on the property will be more enjoyable than digging out your slightly risky pond. Have fun!
13 2,791 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? FishinRod 23 minutes ago
Sounds like you have put in a lot of time and effort to resolve the YP recruitment issue - to no avail.

Good luck with some new YP in your pond! One of the many things I have learned on Pond Boss is that managing a pond is always aiming for a moving target.
4,551 3,218,183 Read More
Help Jump to new posts
Re: Pond needs help! Falcons_King Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by rjackson
I'm in Newnan as well. I don't know about the "new" bass you put in, but to sample the originals in that color water, you need to throw a black/blue chatterbait with matching z-craw jr. trailer. It's been producing well in this area since everything around here muddied up a few months ago from all the rain.
Small world! I will do just that and give it a try ive thrown everything but the kitchen sink at them so one more wont hurt lol
12 214 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: A modest proposal anthropic Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by ewest
A good start - if the owner and wife are on board and you want the work ,would be reduce LMB #s and add adult BG and feed them. Tilapia would be good as they might deepen the pond a bit.

Good idea! Hyacinths would still be an ongoing problem, of course, but the expense necessary to scoop them off the entire lake bottom would be dredgeful. whistle
20 776 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Hybrid Striper Stocking Frequency esshup Yesterday at 10:26 PM
I have a customer that feeds his fish whenever there isn't ice on the pond and they will eat the floating feed. He doesn't feed a lot when it's cold, just about 1/2 coffee can in a 4 acre pond. It could be the Yellow Perch that are eating most of the feed too, he's not sure.
16 2,745 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Rust in Small Engine Gas Tank esshup Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Look up frog lube.

Al, I'm going to look for the Rend Armor oil you mentioned. I was using a synthetic 2-stroke oil but I only have enough left to treat 2 gallons. The local marina said no matter what gas I buy, to treat it with an ethanol stabilizer because they've seen too many cases of "non-ethanol" gas have traces of ethanol in it.
10 157 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: Bladderwort problem ewest Yesterday at 07:49 PM
4 152 Read More
Re: Managing black crappie Sunil Yesterday at 05:47 PM
MnAngler, I could be wrong on this, but if you check with the State of Minnesota and are good with them, I don't you'll need to check with any local or city 'authorities.'
75 3,703 Read More
Re: Reducing fish biomass Snipe Yesterday at 03:08 AM
I think it has a LOT to do with how the fish is handled after the catch.. Iced water in livewell? Fish on a stringer setting in shallow warmer water maybe.
I pour a bag of ice into cooler with fish on way home, meat stays firm.
23 617 Read More
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM