Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by esshup
One big no-no that I've figured out is DON'T use gas that has any ethanol in it. Ethanol attracts water, and gums up a bunch of stuff. Just say NO.

Agreed!!!

I have been doing that on my chainsaw, brushcutter, and other small engines for many years.

Most of the time (after being winterized) I just put in fresh gas and oil in the spring and they start on the second pull.

In fact, I am pretty sure that avoiding ethanol in gasoline has helped me NOT be a small engine repair guy! grin
Rod, you got really good advice, so I'll try not to screw it up.

As varnish was mentioned mentioned later, my uncle had a small engine shop and he used acetone and nuts and bolts to clean out gas tanks.The nuts and bolts beat the loose rust off, and the acetone took care of the varnish. He would just walk by and shake it ever hour or so. If the liner mentioned is good, then removing the lose rust prior should help.

My motorcycle and outdoor power shops use Ethanol Shield for all gases, so that's what I use. Never once had a moisture problem with stored 100% gas. The fuller the tank, the less chance of humidity issues.

For sticks, and other 2 stock engines, Red Armor is about the best oil I can find. It's a little more expensive, but it actually does clean existing and reduce new piston and cylinder carbon. Voodoo at it's best. Echo shops should have it.