Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarbaraE, Cloudfeather, Chadsnider, Kevin Matney, Rudly68
18,572 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,076
Posts559,282
Members18,573
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,540
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,172
Who's Online Now
11 members (jludwig, PondGuppy, Don Kennedy, Boondoggle, anthropic, catscratch, Knobber, Justin W, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, BarbaraE), 751 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, FishinRod, jludwig
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#565191 03/14/2024 10:31 PM
by esshup
esshup
A customer needed to reduce some of the fish biomass in his 1/2 acre pond. We will do the same thing within 7-10 days. It was a marathon fish cleaning session as he hasn't cleaned any fish in a long time and was trying to re-learn how to do it. Dull knives, small fish cleaning space, etc. all made for a 4+ hour cleaning session. That and I was trying to teach him how to fillet all over again. He was getting the hang of it by the time we finished, and he's got a Bubba Fillet Knife on order. That will be here tomorrow.

We caught (in the span of 2 1/2 hours) the following:

12 Yellow Perch, all between 12.5" and 13.25" in length, from 1# to 1.35#
8 LMB One 1 1/4#, all the rest between 4# and 4.2#, all were 18"-19" long
35 HBG, all between 9.25"-10.25", and between 1# - 1.2#
2 HSB both right at 4# and IIRC 21" or so.

All fish were caught on a redworm or a 1/64th oz pink jig head and a wax worm. All 2.5'-3' below the surface.
Cooler 1
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cooler 2

Cooler 3

HBG

HBG Wt

HSB

HBG

YP1

YP2

YP Wt
Liked Replies
#565290 Mar 18th a 12:01 AM
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Does anyone in this thread definitively note a taste improvement of their fish on the table when caught in cool water compared to warmer water?

Well you had to say definitively, LOL. I am more or less like the BOW owner, I prefer fish caught in cool water. The flesh seems firmer and there are not so many odd smells like the when the water is warm enough to take a bath in. LOL. There doesn't seem to be as much in guts as they are eating less or less frequently. I like to fish throughout the year but most of the fish I keep are from October through April.
2 members like this
#565295 Mar 18th a 03:08 AM
by Snipe
Snipe
I think it has a LOT to do with how the fish is handled after the catch.. Iced water in livewell? Fish on a stringer setting in shallow warmer water maybe.
I pour a bag of ice into cooler with fish on way home, meat stays firm.
2 members like this
#565212 Mar 15th a 02:59 PM
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
That seems UNREAL! My quarter acre pond wouldn't produce 10% of that biomass.
How does he/you achieve that production?

There is very little production in the pond from the stocked fish - the bottom is clay and the sides are VERY steep - steep enough that the fish can't make beds.

He feeds the fish daily and he adds Fatheads & Golden Shiners in the Spring and Fall. Like I said earlier, he keeps close track of water quality and has the ability to add water from a well to flush out excess nutrients. He has a Vertex Bottom Diffusion aeration system plus a Volcano type surface agitator that he runs when the water temps are 70°F and above so the O2 stays high. He doesn't add Tilapia but he does use a peroxide based algaecide. When the algae floats he kills it then turns on the water and flushes it out of the pond before it sinks and decomposes.

Water clarity stays 18"-24" most of the year due to a number of 24"+ koi in the pond.
1 member likes this
#565284 Mar 17th a 10:40 PM
by esshup
esshup
Since FA first grows on the bottom, if sunlight penetration is limited due to a phytoplankton bloom or dye, then in a pond with very steep sides, there won't be much substrate that it can grow on. Phytoplankton could be a much worse problem in such a pond, but in this pond, the owner uses a peroxide based algaecide, then turns on the water to flush out the dying algae from the pond - helping to mitigate nutrient loading on the pond.

In this pond, the owner knows that harvest is an integral part of pond management, but knowing and doing are two different things. So, me going there to harvest got him out there harvesting too, and me being there also helped him to remember how to fillet fish. He was having a problem with that (I believe) and that was part of his reluctance to harvest fish. Why harvest when you can't clean them? I showed him some different ways to do it, and he ordered some tools to help him fillet easier than what he was attempting prior. He says that the fish from cool water taste better than fish from warm water, so the main harvesting time is now and late Fall. Winter typically would be a great time to harvest the fish through the ice, but we only had a 1 week window this year where there was safe ice.

The pond owner used to grow Koi, and he has a large live rock saltwater aquarium in the house that he maintains himself, so he is aware of water quality issues and how that will impact the fish in the pond.

He has Walleye in the pond too, and since we saw a white grub on one of the HBG, AND he's never caught a RES out of the pond even though we've stocked 700 RES between 2.5" and 6" over the past 4 years, we are going to put in another 500 of the biggest ones I can source this year. Hopefully the WAE don't eat them all. He caught a WAE that was either 22" or 27" (I cant remember) last Fall and returned it to the pond.
1 member likes this
#565293 Mar 18th a 02:14 AM
by esshup
esshup
Talk to Bill Cody. There are warmer water algae that will impart an "off" flavor to fish.
1 member likes this
#565584 Mar 27th a 08:37 PM
by J. E. Craig
J. E. Craig
I believe whatever the fish are eating that time of year has the greatest effect on taste, certainly how the fish dies & is kept afterwards. Immediate icing best & certainly can't hurt nor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikejime

Somewhere on the Web I watched a video of a women who enjoyed raw fish. She noticed the difference in taste & texture between Ikejima & a normal slow death of a fish. It is easy to learn to do & a modern ikejima device can be found on eBay.
1 member likes this
#565603 Mar 28th a 01:18 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
One of my buddies in med school did a research project where he had to pith the fish and then take the samples immediately after the fish died. It was the same method.

He was a VERY precise guy, and is now an eye surgeon, so I suspect he got it exactly right every time.

I suspect I might miss every now and then, but I believe it is considered one on the most humane methods to euthanize research animals. Like our "taste" experiment, you typically don't want stress chemicals in your research animal tissues.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
bobt, burgermeister, Dwight, jldoll, rico
Recent Posts
Building a pond in Georgia
by jludwig - 06/12/24 12:44 PM
Shoreline plants now submerged. Will they die?
by jludwig - 06/12/24 12:35 PM
Trapping the Crays
by catscratch - 06/12/24 11:56 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:18 AM
Is my pond dying?
by BarbaraE - 06/12/24 11:16 AM
alligator eating my fish food
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:07 AM
Turtles in my lake
by 4CornersPuddle - 06/12/24 08:19 AM
*!?&^#@ Muskrats!
by catscratch - 06/12/24 07:31 AM
Early Pea Soup
by esshup - 06/11/24 11:04 PM
Dirt swells or artificial cover?
by esshup - 06/11/24 10:36 PM
System advice
by Mainahs70 - 06/11/24 10:16 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by Boondoggle - 06/11/24 03:52 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food