Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
robc, JCook1409, James Herndon, usa, David Lott
18,564 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,065
Posts559,102
Members18,565
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,670
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, FishinRod, Tinylake, ArkieJig, catscratch), 521 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
GunBoss
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by GunBoss
GunBoss
I am part owner of a 35 acre lake in Western Kentucky. It was stocked with 350lbs FHM, 14000 CNBG and 1750 RES in the spring of 2017 and them 1500 4" F1 LMB in November of 2018. All based on recommendations from this forum and Bob Lusk phone call. Fishing the lake has been great. Within two years of the stocking I was catching LMB well above the line on the RW chart although I realize now that may have been because the chart is for northern strain bass. The lake is only fished by a few people and so far has been 100% catch and release. The biggest confirmed LMB is 6lbs 2oz, with and unconfirmed 7lb 6 oz. Most fishing trips a few hours long will result in multiple catches of 5+lb LMB. The CNBG population seems numerous, but small, haven't caught one bigger than 6". Have not seen or caught a RES since stocking. Minnow traps set have not caught any FHM. There are Green Sunfish in the lake from the initial body of water that was flooded during build up. Lake has a good amount of wood cover and lily pads. Milfoil is a problem in some areas, but seems less this year. Fertility seems good. Don't have a feeding program and no interest in starting.

My question is how do I keep the good times rolling? I would like to figure out a harvest plan for the LMB so they don't get overpopulated. I also wouldn't mind growing some bigger CNBG if that's possible. I have read many of the posts on here about harvest strategies. All fish under a certain percent of the RW or all fish below a certain length or all fish under 12" until fish until number of under 12" equals 12-15". Honestly I probably haven't caught 10 LMB under 12".

The goal is a good healthy fishery with a lean towards growing big LMB. When and what should I start harvesting?

Thanks

Ken

ps You can read about the initial stocking in the "Stocking 35 acre Lake" thread
Liked Replies
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Gunboss,

It sounds like you have a dominant year class in the initial stocking. Very good pond with many memorable fish in it. That said, the growth of this year class has already been limited by competition of this dominant year class so there needs to be culling even of your initial stockers.

You also need some plan for progression. Based on your comments there may be insufficient recruitment of LMB. You need annual recruitment into the 12-15" range . Your population of > 15" may be (probably is) larger than it should be. If you don't plan for progression, the dominant year class will die off without suitable replacements.

You mentioned:
The CNBG population seems numerous, but small, haven't caught one bigger than 6".

I am totally not surprised by that given your population of large LMB and subdued LMB recruitment. There is nothing wrong with that BG structure for producing large LMB. You must however cull some older LMB and make provisions for recruitment. You are already 6 years into a typical 10 year LMB lifespan so you must work on that now. There is really no way to sustain what you have ... but you can shape its future which will involve annual recruitment and culling to maintain a sustainable population capable of growing trophy specimens.
1 member likes this
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by GunBoss
Thanks jpsdad, that's a lot to digest. I will get working on it.

I was kind of hoping to avoid responding with culling recommendations but you pinned me down! LOL.

For sexing LMB, read this.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by GunBoss
The harvest started this morning. My 82 year old neighbor and I caught a few, including a 18 inch at 4 lbs 3 oz. Kept a 16 and 14 incher. Early released a couple of other big ones.

Caught about 20 CNBG, RES and GSF. Biggest was about 4.5"

Nice!!!!

Who knew doing hard work to improve your pond could be so much fun? grin
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Fry Identification
by Boondoggle - 06/07/24 09:43 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:33 PM
What kind of Moss is this
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:25 PM
New Owner with grass question.
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:14 PM
New pond owner in NWFL
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:02 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?