I know that this post really belongs on the "Creating the Food Chain" forum, but I want to keep this stuff glued to the LNP adopted fish family thread.
Actually, this little event occurred about a month ago.
It took a little networking, but I was able to locate a reliable vendor for papershell crayfish. The vendor was far enough away that air freight made the most sense. Check this stinkin' story out.
I spent a half dozen phone calls arranging what seemed to be the perfect timing for delivery. It's the Memorial day weekend coming up, so I plan the vendor to ship the crays on Thurs afternoon via overnight air. They arrive on Friday and we can give them a change of diapers, fix up their linens, and keep them comfortable thru Friday night so I can make an early trip on Saturday morning to the project and introduce them to their new digs. My vendor wants to use US Postal service, next day priority air. Hmmmm, I'm a UPS guy, but I'm not the expert....OK.
I call him and get the tracking number. They made it to a major midwest city during the first leg of their journey. That was it. Friday comes and goes; nothing. We have been calling the post offices at both ends. Nothing. I go to the project on Saturday with nothing, leaving D-ski at home to continue calling and waiting. Nothing. Monday rolls around. Now it's been too long. My vendor kinda keeps it light, assuring me that they WILL be found...just follow the stink. We're sittin' down to lunch on M-day and sure enough, the uniformed USPS guy rips up the driveway in his van and scurries up to the porch with a large styro box inside a plastic bag. Even the neighbor's cat ran in the opposite direction. I could tell by the look on his face that the prediction had come to fruition. They DID find it. I didn't even open it; it was absolutely horrible in the closed condition. The vendor filed the claim.
-
A week later, we try it again, only this time via UPS next day air. Bingo!...like clockwork. 250 of the little buggers.

-
D-ski named this one Gigantor. She got to spend quality time with the new pets since I was at work during their arrival and refreshment. She's sumthin else. She said that Gigantor kept trying to run away, his claws raised in defiance.
-

...per instructions, we split 'em up. 1/2 in the styro cooler and 1/2 into a plastic cooler we already had. Fresh strips of newspaper, well dampened, and a plastic baggie full of ice cubes to chill out.
-

-
...LAST ONE IN GETS HIS HEAD SUCKED!

-
I asked my vendor if he minded that I post him as a source. He respectfully declined my offer. He has way more business, both commercial and private, than he can handle.
-
Bottom line? $150 for 250 crays delivered. We lost about a dozen thru the entire process (not including the first catastrophic attrition).