Originally Posted By: BrianShpock
I contacted the USDA/NRCS office in my area and they told me they do not have the time or the resources to help me out. Have been unable to find any contractors with experience in this area so far. Will try out of the area for resources. Awaiting my Pond Boss Magazine for possible help in finding someone in the area.

Brian,
I'm in southeast PA. Chester County. On the advice of a local contractor I called the local USDA guy. That was only for a little advice and to talk permitting. He was hard to get in touch with. I wound up getting the permits from the NRCS people in my county. I had a detailed plan/drawing which made them happy. They also has a list of contractors who do "pond work". They will readily tell you that they don't endorse anyone but if you ask them who they work with on a regular or semi-regular basis they will tell you. I wound up using an excavator who they know will do things right.

One interesting thing that came out was there seemed to be a power play btween the USDA guy and the NRCS people even though they worked out of the same office. Watch out for that. From my experience, when it comes to permitting, it pays to talk to the people who say "yea" or "nea". NRCS in my case.

What I'm trying to get at is even though the NRCS said they can't help they may, in a 30 minute meeting, be able to give you good ideas and names of goood contractors.

Don't leave the "gubmint" people out of the loop. It will make them mad and cost you in the long run.

Last edited by RobA; 08/31/07 06:00 PM.