Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
Since Theo mentioned parts, its probably worth-while to say a little about Gray market tractors.... There is an entire segment devoted to Grey market tractors over on tractorbynet.com.
I've owned and "restored" a number of gray market tractors in the last 10 years -- after I stopped a 30 year hobby of restoring American tractors older than me -- and I ain't so young anymore.

I bought and restored enough of these "grey" creatures to afford a really nice NEW tractor -- first ever for me.

There are some excellent buys out there, but you have to know what you are buying. Of all the gray market tractors, IMHO Yanmar has to be at the top of the list. Many of the Yanmars are great tractors, with really good U.S. parts support at very reasonable prices. However, there are some models that aren't supported at all.

Certain other brands, like some of the Hinomotos, are real good too. But, you must find models that directly cross to American versions of Allis-Chalmers and Massey-Ferguson. Even then, you must buy models that are reasonably supported by AGCO dealers. Many need seals and gaskets. Even with US support, these parts are very expensive. A year ago, I paid $20 for an 8-inch O-ring, $95 for a king-pin seal, and $19 for an ignition key to fit a Massey 1020 equivalent tractor.

There are a lot of publications -- domestic and foreign -- about how dangerous these gray market machines are. You must evaluate this for yourself. A 1970 U.S. tractor has about the same safety features as a 1985 Japanese gray market tractor.

Good luck,
Ken G.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!