Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
David Lott, AquaWaterFood, Cactus Mike, Bgroamer, jnshel
18,560 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,054
Posts558,946
Members18,561
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,654
ewest 21,529
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
19 members (ewest, tylerd1994, rusticsbysmith, Theeck, Tinylake, BJ Nick, jnshel, Thirdy8special, usa, Sunil, Bigtrh24, Drago, SSJSayajin, Theo Gallus, catscratch, Justin W, Shorthose, CentexSaj, Dave Davidson1), 897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79445 12/02/06 07:43 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For those of you that have followed our pond development project, you may recall that it is an integral part of a mini nature preserve dream that we are attempting to create. Now that the excavation for the pond is complete, we have shifted to the balance of the property for eco-improvements. This entire undertaking is new territory for Donna-ski and I, so we are doing our best to execute on-the-job training as we progress.
Among a few different facets of nature and ecological additions and improvements, we have left a zone of the pond to be somewhat shallow, also allowing the water to run up into existing timber to create a quasi-wetland area. Our first step at improvement of this area is construction and installation of Wood Duck nesting boxes (the actual progress for this project will be documented on another thread under Creating Habitat).
Anyway, the PB forum provided some good basic input on Wood Duck stuff, but I searched the www for more details. This is when I bumped into my new friend, Myron.
Myron has extensive practical experience with use of Wood Duck nesting boxes and has provided many tips that I surely would never have considered. It is comforting to know that I can once again minimize a learning curve on a subject that I know nothing of. As Pond Boss is to pond construction, Myron is to Wood Duck propagation. It doesn't stop there.
Myron and I have been sharing a number of emails now for the last couple weeks. My desire to learn has sparked the teacher and speaker within Myron, thrusting me well past Wood Ducks. You see, Myron is a passionate conservationist. He has strong opinion. I found his short dissertations to be very interesting, if not riveting. Personally, I don't harbor the knowledge to challenge any portion of his credo. I have no reason to; it makes sense to me.
So, why do I start this thread? I asked Myron if he would mind if I shared some of his thoughts and wisdom with my comrades on Pond Boss. His response was quick:
 Quote:
Please use any photos and anything I talked about...word for word even, I don’t care......The more people you expose, inform, shock, educate…the better chance more individuals will make some kind of connection to natural environment
-
So, I am going to extract a quote and presentation from an email response I got from Myron regarding pollution of the watershed. It's not intended to be ground-breaking news. It is more of a strong opinion from someone that I perceive to be knowledgeable and deservant of a platform. Perhaps it will spark discussion, perhaps not. Perhaps it will draw Myron to join the forum; he would add a very interesting dimension to an important subject I find pertinent to most everything discussed on this forum. I am going to link this thread URL to him in an email for his perusal. If the moderators see any portion as off-topic or politically charged, please edit/delete.

Quote:
Seriously, now we are really getting into some provocative content. This is an awful topic I could write about for several pages but I’ll try to limit it to a few paragraphs.

In deed, along with several other reasons, the MS River has been getting severely silt laden since we removed the natural grass cover from most of the earth’s surface in North America. And this same silt is the top soil that is loaded w/ farm chemicals. I’m a slow typist now so I won’t get into the top soil tragedy and farm chemical statistics. People are so fricken ignorant it just pains the hell out me. Tragically, in some years several hundred million dollars in real estate development is lost due to human created flooding—negative acculturations on so many levels. Well guess what? When we remove so much (over ½ the original wetlands have been drained) of natural storage mechanisms from the watersheds and stepping up the flowage rate there is going to be flooding. FOR AN ANALOGY, please visualize the drain pipes in all the units of an apt bldg. Installing field tiling in most of the farm fields in the watersheds would be similar to having all your neighboring apt units in a bldg rerouted to just your single drain pipe. Ostensibly, there would be guaranteed flooding.

(edit; poli-sci opinion deleted to remain on topic specifics)

The Dead Zone:

I can’t remember how many hundred or thousand square miles make up this hypoxic (lacking oxygen) region in the Gulf of Mexico. It’s referred to the Dead Zone because it no longer can support any living aquatic life—plants or piscatorial [I didn’t think I would ever use that weird sounding word when I learned it…LOL]. Our rivers across this country are loaded up with nitrates (from the defecation of farm animals and humans), nitrogen and several other fertilizers and all kinds of industrial waste chemicals. Nitrogen is the largest proportion of commercial fertilizer applied because it is applied the most in both urban lawns and rural farm fields because plants need this type of nutrient the most. Here’s an outrageous side note, the urban lawns across America contribute as much or more [fertilizers and herbicides) than agricultural fields and comprise a fraction of the farm field area. The Mighty MS River’s watershed includes about 40% of America’s ground surface area—isn’t that staggering. The MS watershed along w/ all the other watersheds in America has been an open toilet collection system of urban and rural industrial waste of all kinds since “development” began in agriculture and urban areas about 200 to 350+ years ago. And remember, a watershed consists of all the rain water that literally “runs off the ground surface” and doesn’t get absorbed into the soils and flows into a particular stream, creek, or river. So…via acculturation, we have been systematically polluting in numerous ways in all of the different types of eco-systems. And just a reminder, an eco-system is a collection (or community) of plants, animals, and micro-organisms inter-related by their chemical and physical properties or characteristics.

Interestingly, because early Caucasian immigrants to this country systematically obliterated the cultures of the Americans [there was about 500 different Native American groups scattered across this country before C. Columbus arrived], and their understanding and respect for animals of eco-systems, they missed out on essential knowledge until people like Leopold, Meer, Roosevelt…came along in the last 150 years. Unfortunately, these Caucasian Americans were of the extreme minority in terms of negative acculturation in relation to the environment. In recent years, “new” “environmental friendly ideologies” are micro-anthropologically catching on. These movements I’m referring to are “organic” and “holistic” farming practices. Tragically, these “neoteric” movements were already being carried out (practiced) for thousands of years here. Hence, the reasons I described and the adjectives I used in an earlier email may sound peculiar or extreme to some people. But then again, to most people, anything “new” or a change or difference in customs is often perceived as uncomfortable or odd. Most people living in America don’t know these tragedies I’m talking about due to propaganda, widespread ignorance, and a disconnection to the earth. I’m sorry, but I’m right. I don’t believe a have a problem with being right. I do have an innate habit of being righteous and veracious.

On a side note, I was recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Asperger’s Syndrome (AS). Extremely briefly, AS is described as neural atypical and having deficiencies in verbal and non-verbal communication or cues. AS is on the Autism Spectrum--meaning there are less severe [referred to as higher functioning individuals] to more severe [lower functioning individuals] symptoms. It’s not uncommon for individuals w/ ADD to be more honest than the general population. And individuals with AS tend to be able to be able to perceive from an animals perspective more than the general neural typical population. For example, a lady named Temple Grandin has AS and has designed roughly ½ the animal holding facilities (stock yards and meat processing facilities) across America. People w/ AS are typically visual thinkers vs. verbal. However, in my case I’m fortunate to be both, as least, I believe I am.

Please use any photos and anything I talked about...word for word even, I don’t care. Although, please limit my personal data. However, do share info about ADD & AS from a generic sense if the opportunity presents itself. If you would like more photos of the reconstructed prairie, reforestation project, or nest boxes just request it. The more people you expose, inform, shock, educate…the better chance more individuals will make some kind of connection to natural environment.

#79446 12/02/06 09:33 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Only problem is that most people live in towns and cities. If they experience the natural world, its only on the weekends for 'entertainment'. One can't have the vast knowledge of the natural world in such circumstances. Children play frogger on the computer rather than play with frogs in the creek. Is the future generation already lost?

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
#79447 12/02/06 10:46 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Brettski – Too Good! \:D \:D \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
big bass rob, DGorman, MarionTLang, vosler
Recent Posts
A new pond journal.. lets see where we go!
by tylerd1994 - 06/03/24 11:11 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 06/03/24 10:51 AM
Dirt swells or artificial cover?
by Theo Gallus - 06/03/24 10:05 AM
What is this?
by Theo Gallus - 06/03/24 07:17 AM
Pond liner for my new 1/4 acre pond
by FishinRod - 06/02/24 09:42 PM
Auger dock posts wobbly
by FishinRod - 06/02/24 12:25 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread