Quote:
I have found that Gambusia will sustain a vibrant population if you have any kind of vegetation close to water for them to hide in and spawn. Fatheads are really a waste of time, in my opinion , as far as being a reliable sustaining source of forage. They are great for kick-starting your pond, but do not survive predation or sustain a population. Gambusia, on the other hand, while smaller, can sustain themselves for the life of the pond.
Interesting angle proposed by ML. Is this a serious consideration for my upcoming project? I have not seriously considered my stocking plan, but I foresee the standard BG/LMB/CC combo. About 1/4 ac of the pond will be dedicated to a wetland zone with shallower water. It is in this area that I planned the "wooden skid" technique. I never was crazy about the thought, but willing to give it a try. If I could avoid more "stuff", I too might be able to evade "the look" (besides, having a bunch of skids in this special nature zone just doesn't seem right ). I have a few months to decide. Is Gambusia a reasonable forage alternative in a midwest pond?